• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Risk vs Reward - signed Stan Lee?

6 posts in this topic

Hello - this is my first foray into this world and I am by all account a novice collector. I recently found a Thor 128 (my guess is a 4.5-6.5 grade) but what is throwing me is the Stan Lee signature on the front. It was supposedly signed around 2014 at a Montreal ComicCon. Asking $200 - is it worth the risk? Can it be authenticated?

I'm sure it can be authenticated by a third party autograph authenticator if you want to frame it or preserve it in some other way. But it wouldn't be authenticated by CGC from my understanding or be considered a candidate for a signature series by CGC because they did not witness it. 

$200.00!!! Are you kidding? :whatthe:   doh!  :ohnoez:

A CGC 9.0 sold at eBay Auction on July 25 for $141.66, Raw copies in the VG/FN 5.0 - FN 6.0 are selling at eBay auction for under $25.00.

My suggestion/opinion is...

If you only want the book then buy one raw or graded at the appropriate price, if you are looking for an "Authentic" Stan Lee signature then do as was already suggested, wait and try to find a CGC Signature Series.

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

Edited by marvelmaniac

15 hours ago, haji1987 said:

I'm sure it can be authenticated by a third party autograph authenticator if you want to frame it or preserve it in some other way. But it wouldn't be authenticated by CGC from my understanding or be considered a candidate for a signature series by CGC because they did not witness it. 

Thanks - I see CBCS does something like. Appreciate the feedback!

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

In these kinds of cases - buy the book and not the signature.

If you want an authentic Stan Lee signature, as a novice, I suggest buying nothing that isn't a CGC Signature Series comic.

Thanks! Good advice!