• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which airport should I fly into for NYCC? And any hotel recommendations?

18 posts in this topic

Don't even know where to begin. Are you flying from Tampa?. Honestly Newark,NJ would be your best bet. From there,  options to NYC are endless whether Uber, train, bus, rental.  Depends if you are just going to be seeing the con alone or other sight seeing etc.   I would look at the hotels near 9/11 memorial notably Club Quarters. If you haven't seen the 9/11 memorial, its a somber yet celebratory event and well worth seeing. Javits center is all the way on 11th Ave and the 9/11 memorial is way downtown. I recommend this approach to give you a huge swat of things to explore on your way back to hotel and Con. Just my opinion.

Edited by Casablanca
spelling

5 minutes ago, Bird said:

Newark

Hate to be negative but, puke.  Lol, I hate traveling in/out of Newark. If you plan on using public transportation you can ride the airtrain at JFK to Jamaica station and ride the subway into Manhattan. Probably the same out of LaGuardia which is a little closer. As far as hotels there are a million at all different price points. I like checking out trip advisor for finding well reviewed and reasonably priced hotels and restaurants that tick your boxes. Good luck and hope to see you in NY. 

4 hours ago, adampasz said:

If you can find a good flight into LGA, it is w-a-a-y closer than Newark or JFK.

Newark is actually closer to downtown and or the Westside. It also has better public transportation. Not good by taxi or Huber but if you choose public transportation, it's not bad.

If your primary reason to come to NY is to attend NYCC for 4 days, I suggest you get a hotel near Times Square, walking distance to the convention entrance on 38th St / 11th avenue.  If you need to drop off purchases or take a nap, you can.  Plenty of food options at night after the show.  All subway lines intersect there so if you want to go sightseeing on other days, take the train.  

Stay at a large full service hotel in Times Square.  NY hotel tax is about 20% so be prepared.

Coach buses from all 3 airports are available and are your cheapest way to arrive in NYC but locating the bus in the airports your first time out isn't the easiest.  Ideally, you should travel light if taking the coach buses. It's not a bad ride and will drop you off at the major hotels.

Car Service, Taxis, Cabs, Ubers, Lyft are most convenient.  Since you cross State lines from Newark, NJ (EWR) into NY, the fare DOUBLES.  

A regular yellow cab, taxi from LaGuardia (LGA) or JFK airports have a flat fee into anywhere in midtown Manhattan plus tolls.  No meter rates.  The taxi dispatcher should make you aware of that.  LGA is the closest airport but the worst.

I would not take public transportation (train) from ANY of the airports.  Why lug around all your luggage, trying to figure out where you are going? To save $20?  Take the coach bus if necessary but not the train.  During rush hour with luggage? Up and down the stairs?  At night from Jamaica station? I have, it's not pleasant.  LGA does not have a train option.  EWR train is okay but bus is better option IMHO since they should drop him at the hotel.

Good luck Jay. Lol.

Cheers!

N.

By Far your best Choice is JFK

JFK has an Airtrain clean and fast,  for $5 you are dropped at Jamaica Station

Its a MAJOR hub with trains leaving frequently and fairly easy to navigate, even for a 1st timer 

From There for $8-$12 You can catch a train directly into Penn Station 34th and 7th / 8th 

Pretty much the center of Manhatten 

an easy 15-20 minute walk to the Javits

The LIRR is not like the regular subways, it clean fast and there is plenty of room on all but rush hour trains 

I assume you Have no more then a wheeled luggage bag, it would be no problem, 

As far as hotels, NY is insanely expensive, Unless you have virtually unlimited means, 

Hotels close to the show rent for $300 a day and up 

I looked on hotwire and there as some Decent options still in the $150-$200 range from 1/2 to  2 miles away,

The NYC train system is pretty good, and you will be able to get back and forth

Keep in Mind during show days the uber rates go way up 

I would book early as the Hotel rates go up significantly the closer the show gets

I checked Hotwire and there are still some decent prices including a 4 star near times square for $210 

4 hours ago, shadroch said:

Newark is actually closer to downtown and or the Westside. It also has better public transportation. Not good by taxi or Huber but if you choose public transportation, it's not bad.

True if you're going to Javits center, Newark saves maybe 5 mins. compared to LGA. But during rush our Lincoln Tunnel can be a mess!

6a00d8341c630a53ef014e88e0491c970d-800wi

If you are unfamiliar with NY,  staying in or flying into NJ, which is only a few miles away SEEMS  on paper to be a viable option 

However, Take it from someone who lives here, ITS NOT  Traffic into NY is miserable and during rush hour its nightmarish 

The NJ busses have dedicated lanes including the tunnels, but that is meaningless most of the time , Newark is a terrible airport, and LGA is currently undergoing major construction JFK airtrain to Jamacia LIRR station to Lirr to  Penn station is your option 

The Lincoln Tunnel from NY to NJ may be the single most congested traffic spot I have ever seen 

JFK.  JFK  JFK.  Oh, and JFK.

Avoid LGA.  It's a traffic mess in and near it with all the construction.  Not a comfortable experience at the terminal or gates.  It sucks, actually.  Once all the construction is completed, it should be nice.

You could do EWR, but typically flights are cheaper getting into JFK and LGA. 

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

If you are unfamiliar with NY,  staying in or flying into NJ, which is only a few miles away SEEMS  on paper to be a viable option 

However, Take it from someone who lives here, ITS NOT  Traffic into NY is miserable and during rush hour its nightmarish 

The NJ busses have dedicated lanes including the tunnels, but that is meaningless most of the time , Newark is a terrible airport, and LGA is currently undergoing major construction JFK airtrain to Jamacia LIRR station to Lirr to  Penn station is your option 

The Lincoln Tunnel from NY to NJ may be the single most congested traffic spot I have ever seen 

The train from Newark to Midtown doesn't take you through those tunnels. By car, by bus or by taxi, Newark sucks. But if one is taking the train, it is a great alternative. Just not one most New Yorkers consider.

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Any of the airports are fine... not great but fine. :)Get the cheapest flight in and use the savings for a cab.

This is the best comment. None of the three are great, all have delays, all have some complications involved in getting to the West Side. But if you find a ticket for $200 less out of one over the other two, grab it.

Flights to lga always seem cheaper to me.   Stay in times square or hells kitchen, get the full experience.  Nycc is a very exhausting show and ive found staying in walking distance makes your experience much more enjoyable.  

I usually use JFK.  Take Air Train to Jamaica Station, then E Train into Manhattan.  I usually get an unlimited subway pass from one of the kiosks.  Cash gets you passes quicker than using credit cards.  Everybody else will be lined up at the machines with their credit cards.

Are you comfortable on public transit?  I only travel with one backpack, without rolling luggage.  I am surprised how much luggage people take with them when they travel.

For accommodations, I prefer Airbnb to an expensive Manhattan hotel.  Airbnb is usually cheaper.  But reserve right away, instead of later, because all the affordable places will have been booked.  There are some great Airbnb accommodations and some roach filled apartments in NYC.

16 hours ago, shadroch said:

The train from Newark to Midtown doesn't take you through those tunnels. By car, by bus or by taxi, Newark sucks. But if one is taking the train, it is a great alternative. Just not one most New Yorkers consider.

yes, I would never suggest Newark if you weren't using the train to Penn Station. Any of the NY area airports are trouble if you are driving.