• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did dc bronze horror start with hom 174 or 175?

17 posts in this topic

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bimageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bThis has perplexed me for 30 years, which one do you consider the start?

174 has arguably the first app. Of the house on the cover, and the new logo, but is nearly all reprint otherwise, so the only real change is the cover, 1 new humor/ horror page and the booting of hero stories

175 has the first Cain, Gregory and sets the template for all bronze dc horror to follow.

where do you stand?

5AE48319-93E8-4508-9D65-46F89C24678A.jpeg

43D106B5-6E8A-4E82-85D2-29E28FD972E2.jpeg

Edited by shiverbones

9 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I treated 174 as though it were a #1 (like a soft reboot of the title) when I put together my "comprehensive" list of #1s and first appearances in the 80's.

I can see that, a #1 doesn’t always cement the details right away. A soft #1 sounds about right.  I guess I have leaned towards 175 but think a case could be made for either.

Put me down for #174 as the "first."  The cover announces the new direction, even if the interior contents didn't really deliver (that happens a lot, of course!)

Kind of like the 1970 re-launch of All-Star Western Comics:  That first issue is all reprints, then the 2nd issue has the introduction of El Diablo (Gray Morrow art) and the beginning of the short-lived Outlaw series (Tony DeZuniga art).  Or the re-launch of the Phantom Stranger series, where the title starts out mostly reprinting the 1950s stories, then gradually evolves to all-new stories, with Neal Adams art and the classic Adams-inspired Jim Aparo run.

1 hour ago, Zonker said:

Put me down for #174 as the "first."  The cover announces the new direction, even if the interior contents didn't really deliver (that happens a lot, of course!)

Kind of like the 1970 re-launch of All-Star Western Comics:  That first issue is all reprints, then the 2nd issue has the introduction of El Diablo (Gray Morrow art) and the beginning of the short-lived Outlaw series (Tony DeZuniga art).  Or the re-launch of the Phantom Stranger series, where the title starts out mostly reprinting the 1950s stories, then gradually evolves to all-new stories, with Neal Adams art and the classic Adams-inspired Jim Aparo run.

Those are great comparisons, thanks!

On 7/25/2019 at 12:13 AM, shiverbones said:

I think it would be more drastic if there weren’t “horror” stories as back up during the hero years, but that makes sense. The heroes are gone. I don’t have an agenda, just curious what others think. I love them both :)

Interesting question. For years seeing 174 listed in the OSPG as “Mystery format begins” almost brainwashes one to take it as set in stone. Although 175 starts the stage for the rest of the series, I still consider 174 the start. You might look at it as the cover is really saying: “Here we go!” :devil:

1 minute ago, Jayman said:

Interesting question. For years seeing 174 listed in the OSPG as “Mystery format begins” almost brainwashes one to take it as set in stone. Although 175 starts the stage for the rest of the series, I still consider 174 the start. You might look at it as the cover is really saying: “Here we go!” :devil:

Sort of like the long chugging ascent on a rollercoaster before it drops you into the ride

Issue 175.

Not just a cover, but the start of a new direction for the material inside DC’s horror / suspense titles.

Nice cover on 174, but old school reprint material inside.

For me, the most noticeable transition is in 178 with Neal Adams’ first interior story art.

Edited by Ken Aldred