• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Process to have a Slabbed comic Pressed?

6 posts in this topic

Hello, last year I started submitting comics to get slabbed for the first time and dumb me didn't get my comics pressed. For example I have an ASM #300 9.4 CGC that I didn't get pressed. Can I resend it the slabbed comic to CGC to have it pressed in the hopes that the grade will improve? would I have to pay full price for re-slab? do I send the comic slabbed or do I crack it out of the slab? is there a possibility I might get a lower grade?

19 minutes ago, Ladic said:

Hello, last year I started submitting comics to get slabbed for the first time and dumb me didn't get my comics pressed. For example I have an ASM #300 9.4 CGC that I didn't get pressed. Can I resend it the slabbed comic to CGC to have it pressed in the hopes that the grade will improve? would I have to pay full price for re-slab? do I send the comic slabbed or do I crack it out of the slab? is there a possibility I might get a lower grade?

1. Not pressing comics is not "dumb". That's a very pedantic way of thinking.
2. Yes, I suggest that you do send it to CGC in its current slab.
3. Yes, you have to pay for full grading service again.
4. Keep in slab, as previously mentioned.
5. Yes, a lower grade is possible.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

16 minutes ago, Ladic said:

Can I resend it the slabbed comic to CGC to have it pressed in the hopes that the grade will improve?
Yes.

would I have to pay full price for re-slab?
Yes and you have to pay the pressing fee.

do I send the comic slabbed or do I crack it out of the slab?
Send the slab, less likly to get damaged in the mail. CGC/CCS will crack it for you on site.

is there a possibility I might get a lower grade?
Yep. Its unlikely, but there is no guarantee the grade will be preserved.  

in theory, CCS will do the pressing, and CGC will do the grading, and there is independence between the companies.  So CGC will evaluate your comic independent of previous grade or the fact that it was pressed by CCS. 

So you will need to weigh the cost of shipping, insurance, pressing cost, pressing invoice fees, cgc invoice fees, cgc grading, return shipping, return shipping insurance.  And of course the time value/opportunity cost of tying up your money and your comic for that long.  I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but you should consider getting the grader notes to see if the book has flaws that might be pressable, as not all flaws will be improved with a press. 

1 hour ago, revat said:

in theory, CCS will do the pressing, and CGC will do the grading, and there is independence between the companies.  So CGC will evaluate your comic independent of previous grade or the fact that it was pressed by CCS. 

So you will need to weigh the cost of shipping, insurance, pressing cost, pressing invoice fees, cgc invoice fees, cgc grading, return shipping, return shipping insurance.  And of course the time value/opportunity cost of tying up your money and your comic for that long.  I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but you should consider getting the grader notes to see if the book has flaws that might be pressable, as not all flaws will be improved with a press. 

Thanks everyone for the info.

Is it too late now to get grader notes?