• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Giant size x-men 1 trimming?

9 posts in this topic

Hey guys in my personal opinion I don't believe the book has been trimmed for a couple of reasons.  

1. The book is the exact same length as my other two copies

2. I can tell the side edge has not been trimmed due to over hang 

3. you can tell the whole picture is shifted upwards vs the other copies

Even with all that said I just wanted others opinions as I haven't seen a copy with a cover picture shifter so far up that it cuts off the top of the comic code stamp, thanks!

IMG_4091.jpeg

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4093.jpeg

IMG_4094.jpeg

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4224.jpeg

1 hour ago, Spider-Guy said:

Even with all that said I just wanted others opinions as I haven't seen a copy with a cover picture shifter so far up that it cuts off the top of the comic code stamp, thanks!

It happens. Some copies are just poorly wrapped and/or cut.

I think trimming is unlikely. Marvel's Giant Size books from this period had pretty low production quality. Plenty of miscut covers and interiors, too much glue, staples way to big causing holes poked in the covers. 

On 7/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Off-center trim from the bindery, or whatever you call it when books are perfect-bound like that (glue, not staples). 

If it's the same size as other untrimmed books, it's just a sloppy cut.

You'd be surprised at how many go to recycling like that while in production, or not. 

Actually, these books (the old 80/100 page giants, Marvel and DC annuals, Marvel's Giant size) are both glued and stapled. 

The books are stapled at the left edge, then the left edge cut. Then ONLY the cover is attached with glue to the cut left edge. 

Marvel's 50 cent cover price Giant Size line had poor - even by the day - production quality. 

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:32 AM, Spider-Guy said:

Hey guys in my personal opinion I don't believe the book has been trimmed for a couple of reasons.  

1. The book is the exact same length as my other two copies

2. I can tell the side edge has not been trimmed due to over hang 

3. you can tell the whole picture is shifted upwards vs the other copies

IMG_4091.jpeg

IMG_4092.jpeg

IMG_4093.jpeg

Factory machined edges. No tells for trim here, IMO.