• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you see the book you underpriced immediately flipped
2 2

88 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, jcjames said:

the same day the buyer receives the book it's relisted, and you know you blew it. :tonofbricks:

Who cares about listed.

Did it actually sell?

Likely it will OBO 3 years later at 1/2 the ask.

6 hours ago, NP_Gresham said:

Who cares about listed.

Did it actually sell?

Likely it will OBO 3 years later at 1/2 the ask.

It's in auction and is going good for him, so, it's all good.

I do hate it when a book sells lightning quick on E-Bay.  If its sits for a day or two then i know it was properly priced.  Lightning quick sales without offer is a sign of a mix up in price.

I've never really understood the animosity towards flippers. Somebody once gave some kind of economic answer, but it flew right over my head.

A couple of quick questions...

- Is time the determining factor for what makes one a flipper? IOW - put it up for sale right after buying it...which is what dealers do. (Why doesn't the OP meet the criteria for being a  flipper?)

- What's the difference between a dealer and a flipper?

20 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Years ago, someone bought a book from tupenny's selling thread.  Paid for it.  Then asked tupenny to drop ship it to the person the buyer just sold it to. 

Drop ship request happened to me on the boards before...by one of the most respected guys on the forum. Didn’t hold it against him, made no difference to me.

3 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Drop ship request happened to me on the boards before...by one of the most respected guys on the forum. Didn’t hold it against him, made no difference to me.

Respected by whom?

On 7/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Years ago, someone bought a book from tupenny's selling thread.  Paid for it.  Then asked tupenny to drop ship it to the person the buyer just sold it to. 

There could definitely be legitimate "non-flipper" motives behind it.  Let's say you want to put #1-#10 of a series into an auction (Heritage, Comiclink, whatever) and you already own #1-#7 and #9-#10.  You need #8 drop-shipped to the auction venue to complete the set because it's the complete set that's being sold, not the #8 being flipped. 

Edited by valiantman

You sure it wasn't a member of my Canadian harem?  I get stuff shipped to me all the time, but it doesn't mean I get to keep it.

22 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Man, I really got that story mixed up. 

Silver Surfer offered him the better price. 

6 hours ago, Gaard said:

I've never really understood the animosity towards flippers. Somebody once gave some kind of economic answer, but it flew right over my head.

A couple of quick questions...

- Is time the determining factor for what makes one a flipper? IOW - put it up for sale right after buying it...which is what dealers do. (Why doesn't the OP meet the criteria for being a  flipper?)

- What's the difference between a dealer and a flipper?

As long as the original buyer didn’t say that they wanted it for their personal collection & chiseled the price on those grounds, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with immediate flips.  If you pay the asking price,  the seller has no reason to complain. (shrug)

1 hour ago, greggy said:

The best and easiest money that I've ever made is when you sold all those Love and Rockets. 

I’ve had a half dozen Cooke autographed books sitting at the shop to give to him, been sitting here for over a year and now I hear he won’t even be on the same continent as us pretty soon.  :(