• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When you see the book you underpriced immediately flipped
2 2

88 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2019 at 9:48 AM, Gaard said:

I've never really understood the animosity towards flippers. Somebody once gave some kind of economic answer, but it flew right over my head.

A couple of quick questions...

- Is time the determining factor for what makes one a flipper? IOW - put it up for sale right after buying it...which is what dealers do. (Why doesn't the OP meet the criteria for being a  flipper?)

- What's the difference between a dealer and a flipper?

Timing. 

The word "flipper" itself implies a very fast turn around. 

I think almost everyone who sells regularly "flips" some books they get immediately. Nothing inherently wrong about flipping, my original post was about the fact that I goofed in my BIN and left about 50% on the table. That's what I kicked myself about. 

So the flipper sold it for about double what he bought it from me. We both made the same amount on it and that's fine. 

I was just :tonofbricks: myself because I goofed and he pounced on it and reposted it the day he received it. 

On 7/25/2019 at 4:35 PM, Rip said:

Here's another one.

I just bought a Church pedigree book. Another person put an ad in the CBG selling the same book days later. Then contacting me trying to buy it so he could sell it for more.

I ended up selling to him.

what's CBG?

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

You are a dealer when you make money selling comics.  Somebody else makes money selling comics they are flippers.  Pretty straight forward.

That's an interesting point. My distinction would be if you make your living selling comics you're a "dealer" and if you make money on the side from your regular job, you're a "flipper".

42 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

That's an interesting point. My distinction would be if you make your living selling comics you're a "dealer" and if you make money on the side from your regular job, you're a "flipper".

If we use that definition then 90-95%% of people who sell books are flippers since there are not many full time sellers.  If i had to give a definition I would say a dealer has a physical presence like a booth, store or their own website.  People who grab books to quickly sell on E-Bay or Facebook would be flippers to me.

Edited by 1Cool