• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A bit of Doc Savage trivia...

38 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I'd really like to see a decent version of Doc make it to the big screen. That first movie was pretty cheesy... :ohnoez: 

It was but I still liked/like it. Picked it up on blu ray. 

As a 12 year old in 1975 it was pretty fun for the time. Star Wars, Superman, etc... we’re still a few years away from changing your expectations of genre based films. I had picked up the last 3 issues of the Marvel comics Doc Savage comic (#6-8) so seeing him up there played by “Tarzan” who I knew from tv reruns was pretty damn cool.

These days I’ll stick with picking up some of the original pulps.

If they did do a live action version today they’d probably cast someone like the Rock and it would be full of big explosions. I doubt anyone would do the source work justice. Look at what they’ve done to poor old Conan in movies these days.

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

It was but I still liked/like it. Picked it up on blu ray. 

As a 12 year old in 1975 it was pretty fun for the time. Star Wars, Superman, etc... we’re still a few years away from changing your expectations of genre based films. I had picked up the last 3 issues of the Marvel comics Doc Savage comic (#6-8) so seeing him up there played by “Tarzan” who I knew from tv reruns was pretty damn cool.

These days I’ll stick with picking up some of the original pulps.

If they did do a live action version today they’d probably cast someone like the Rock and it would be full of big explosions. I doubt anyone would do the source work justice. Look at what they’ve done to poor old Conan in movies these days.

You definitely hit on the problem with many movies that are made these days---no one really seems to care much about the source material. For instance, the original Conan stories are full of great characters and marvelous plots, but things like that are usually tossed aside like a bag of stale popcorn. It's disappointing, to say the least.

There were some great stories in the Doc series, too---wouldn't it be smart to incorporate some of those things into the mix? I think it'd be interesting if they included details like the fortress of solitude or Doc's origin into the story, not to mention the inclusion of the crime college. But of course, these things aren't nearly as important as explosions and gadgets (although I wouldn't mind seeing some of those as well). And of course, Doc's five aides should play a key role...and including Pat Savage wouldn't be such a bad idea, either...

Ah well, I can still dream...:)

Edited by The Lions Den

26 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

You definitely hit on the problem with many movies that are made these days---no one really seems to care much about the source material. For instance, the original Conan stories are full of great characters and marvelous plots, but things like that are usually tossed aside like a bag of stale popcorn. It's disappointing, to say the least.

There were some great stories in the Doc series, too---wouldn't it be smart to incorporate some of those things into the mix? I think it'd be interesting if they included details like the fortress of solitude or Doc's origin into the story, not to mention the inclusion of the crime college. But of course, these things aren't nearly as important as explosions and gadgets (although I wouldn't mind seeing some of those as well). And of course, Doc's five aides should play a key role...and including Pat Savage wouldn't be such a bad idea, either...

Ah well, I can still dream...:)

Yeah they can screw up royally on these pulp heroes.  Green Hornet was a disaster.  I actually found the Alex Baldwin Shadow palatable.  I listen to OTR and those were great like Avenger, Blue Beetle, Green Hornet, Shadow (my personal fav was outstanding).  I don't understand why they have to stray from the source material so much.   Some of the lesser known pulp heroes too would be good candidates but I am biased.

56 minutes ago, telerites said:

Yeah they can screw up royally on these pulp heroes.  Green Hornet was a disaster.  I actually found the Alex Baldwin Shadow palatable.  I listen to OTR and those were great like Avenger, Blue Beetle, Green Hornet, Shadow (my personal fav was outstanding).  I don't understand why they have to stray from the source material so much.   Some of the lesser known pulp heroes too would be good candidates but I am biased.

Ah, for those tales of yesterday...:cloud9: 

To be honest, there are very few movies these days that can hold my interest, and I'm not talking about just the superhero movies. It's as if the entire cinematic process has been regurgitated so many times it's resulting in mind-numbing mediocrity. I actually enjoy the older movies, because they had (among other things) excellent acting, well-written stories, and first rate cinematography. In addition, the casting was usually spot-on, too. For instance, I watched "Anatomy of A Murder" recently, and found it very enjoyable. A great cast, an intriguing story, and superb acting by everyone involved. Is it too much to ask for a movie that's fun, interesting and informative? Apparently it's a lost art, like being able to write your name or have a meaningful conversation... 

Edited by The Lions Den

4 hours ago, comicstock said:

The Marvel b&w magazine series was pretty good.

Agreed.  Great covers too.  Just like on the Hulk mags.  All but the first on Doc were Ken Barr, I believe.  Love Barr's art.  I had a Ken Barr Star Trek poster hanging in my room as a teen.

I read all 181 original Doc Savage stories, through the Bantam reprints.  The James Bama covers really caught my eye. Here is an Alex Ross homage to James Bama.

Picked up from Alex Ross’ agent at 2014 SDCC. Not for sale.

27ED025D-9759-4C14-BC10-D479E0E9244D.jpeg

FDFEC83E-90ED-45D7-A955-503A80F87FAC.jpeg

Edited by BitterOldMan

On 7/27/2019 at 8:40 AM, The Lions Den said:

I'd really like to see a decent version of Doc make it to the big screen. That first movie was pretty cheesy... :ohnoez: 

My personal preference would be for a decent movie version of the Phantom myself.  hm

Like the Black Panther, I feel the African backdrop along with the long history and storyline involved with the Phantom leaves a lot of potential for a successful movie if done properly.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, BitterOldMan said:

I read all 181 original Doc Savage stories, through the Bantam reprints.  The James Bama covers really caught my eye. Here is an Alex Ross homage to James Bama.

Picked up from Alex Ross’ agent at 2014 SDCC. Not for sale.

27ED025D-9759-4C14-BC10-D479E0E9244D.jpeg

FDFEC83E-90ED-45D7-A955-503A80F87FAC.jpeg

OK, there goes the shirt...  lol 

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

My personal preference would be for a decent movie version of the Phantom myself.  hm

Like the Black Panther, I feel the African backdrop along with the long history and storyline involved with the Phantom leaves a lot of potential for a successful movie if done properly.  (thumbsu

I had high hopes for the Billy Zane movie but it wasn't to be.

11 hours ago, telerites said:

That's exactly why I said it would have to be a decent version of the movie. (thumbsu

The Billy Zane movie version also came out in 1996 when movies had a much smaller impact on comic book prices relative to the near insanity that takes place now.  hm

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

That's exactly why I said it would have to be a decent version of the movie. (thumbsu

The Billy Zane movie version also came out in 1996 when movies had a much smaller impact on comic book prices relative to the near insanity that takes place now.  hm

I am not sure if even a good Phantom were made it would start a flood to Phantom back issues but it is crazy anymore so who knows. 

Defenders of the Universe tried to acquaint kids with these King characters and I watched it.  Of course I didn't tell anyone, I was grown man, working full-time, living the bachelor life - I had stopped collecting then and didn't get back in for about another 15 years but I still watched cartoons and read CBG and some other material.  Had to keep my double life a secret, my dating life could have been severely impacted lol 

3 minutes ago, telerites said:

I am not sure if even a good Phantom were made it would start a flood to Phantom back issues but it is crazy anymore so who knows. 

Well, it certainly seems to have worked for the MCU related characters (for a short time at least) and for some of the DCEU characters.  (shrug)

13 hours ago, telerites said:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I only remember (cared) about Catherine Zeta Jones in it. Until you two mentioned it I forgot it actually had other actors in the movie besides her...hm

8DE37D7D-5A3C-4B4B-8CFF-26596D8ABA66.gif.d2ce0e63a8e01b1de0707876ee6ab6af.gif