• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen Collection
1 1

64 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

sorry to hear about it...that is some pretty high quality material to be left in any storage area, I would also check E-bay....good luck on recovery.

All the online auction/sales venues where comics are typically offered need watching. But to help, we're going to need more info. Only a small percentage of books are named. Certification numbers would be a plus too as well as the identifiers for raw issues mentioned. The faster he can get that info together and relay that to Bob, and Bob posts that here, the more help we can be.

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I had a storage unit that got robbed. I didn’t keep comics in it but the cop that did the report told us they are very popular for thieves. They come in one day and pull the numbers from the locks. Get the keys and come back with keys and a big truck and clean out units. 

And most of those breaches are either performed or aided and abetted by owners/managers/employees/associates of the storage facility. Those with access or can give access. :gossip:

2 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

And most of those breaches are either performed or aided and abetted by owners/managers/employees/associates of the storage facility. Those with access or can give access. :gossip:

I have heard that as well. We got the shed because our storage locker at the apartment was not secure at all. We ended up being lucky because we put stuff like old skis and boots, skateboards, misc camping stuff, etc in the shed and we had insurance on the locker which was for replacement value. 

I live in the area and keep books in storage as well. The unit is indoors with code access only but this scares the out of me. Would expensive locks really add any security? The biggest fear I have is that it would be broken into and I wouldn't realize it for a couple weeks. I've heard insurance on collectibles sometimes carry clauses against reporting stolen items after a certain period of time.

1 hour ago, MadJimJaspers said:

I live in the area and keep books in storage as well. The unit is indoors with code access only but this scares the out of me. Would expensive locks really add any security? The biggest fear I have is that it would be broken into and I wouldn't realize it for a couple weeks. I've heard insurance on collectibles sometimes carry clauses against reporting stolen items after a certain period of time.

I imagine all kinds of clauses where they could refuse payment on something with such a specialized knowledge of value.  "We'll give ya cover price but we need to see cover pics of all 10,000 books in your possession".

Edited by kav

1 hour ago, MadJimJaspers said:

The lock or locking mechanism is only as strong as the door that it's affixed to.

What I don't understand is why break-ins aren't easy layups for investigators? Cameras, right? You visit most any storage depot and there's cameras, at least one aimed right down the row/hall. The thief should be on video and if the camera was turned off at that point or for that day or night, that much easier to pinpoint who had access to disable it.

21 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The lock or locking mechanism is only as strong as the door that it's affixed to.

What I don't understand is why break-ins aren't easy layups for investigators? Cameras, right? You visit most any storage depot and there's cameras, at least one aimed right down the row/hall. The thief should be on video and if the camera was turned off at that point or for that day or night, that much easier to pinpoint who had access to disable it.

Apparently cops are so overwhelmed they do not even have time for layups.  There was a violent taco truck robbery and a violent fireworks stand robbery in CA-extremely clear pics of all subjects.  No arrests to date.  The taco truck robbery was about a year ago.  Any time there is a homicide with clear pics they pick em up in days if not hours.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I had a storage unit that got robbed. I didn’t keep comics in it but the cop that did the report told us they are very popular for thieves. They come in one day and pull the numbers from the locks. Get the keys and come back with keys and a big truck and clean out units. 

i am surprised they even bother with getting the padlock code when a bolt cutter will do the trick easier

Just now, 1950's war comics said:

i am surprised they even bother with getting the padlock code when a bolt cutter will do the trick easier

Most locks you can go on youtube to see how to jimmy.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Apparently cops are so overwhelmed they do not even have time for layups.  There was a violent taco truck robbery and a violent fireworks stand robbery in CA-extremely clear pics of all subjects.  No arrests to date.  The taco truck robbery was about a year ago.  Any time there is a homicide with clear pics they pick em up in days if not hours.

the cops had been thrown under the bus so many times in so many cities from 2008-2016 that they don't even care about anything anymore except getting their 25 years service time in so they can retire 

and i don't blame them for feeling that way

1 minute ago, 1950's war comics said:

the cops had been thrown under the bus so many times in so many cities from 2008-2016 that they don't even care about anything anymore except getting their 25 years service time in so they can retire 

Just wait till there's a police strike and no Watchmen.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

Yes, but a taco truck thief probably nabbed a few hundred dollars cash. Thousands in comics is grand larceny. I think the police just view these kinds of cases as an insurance win. If they were really that valuable they should be insured and you will get compensation for it.

4 minutes ago, kav said:

Most locks you can go on youtube to see how to jimmy.

There are 5-7 pin locks that can't be jimmied in a sensible amount of time and ones that can't be cut without a torch. 

2 minutes ago, MadJimJaspers said:

Yes, but a taco truck thief probably nabbed a few hundred dollars cash. Thousands in comics is grand larceny. I think the police just view these kinds of cases as an insurance win. If they were really that valuable they should be insured and you will get compensation for it.

Using guns and pistol whipping is a more serious crime than larceny in any amount I would think.

18 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

My understanding from the cop was that it was easier to do and they could claim they were authorized to pick up the stuff because they had a key.  The place we rented had a locked gate but you had a pass key you punched in a keypad.  The pass code was never changed.

17 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

Spot on.  I have a friend that has worked for the cops and is just about ready to retire.  We had dinner last week and he said he would not have done the job if he had it to do over again and didn't understand why anyone was willing to do it these days.

5 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Spot on.  I have a friend that has worked for the cops and is just about ready to retire.  We had dinner last week and he said he would not have done the job if he had it to do over again and didn't understand why anyone was willing to do it these days.

The resigned defeated look I see on cop's faces around town nowadays makes me very very sad.