• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jonah Hex #3 Rare misprint or worthless?

32 posts in this topic

Hi All you geniuses out there!

So I came across a copy of Jonah Hex #3 with colour misprint in the lettering of the O and N in Jonah. See pic attached. Does anyone know if this makes it more valuable, less valuable or just keep the status quo? Thank you so much in advance with anyone with experience on this!

unnamed.jpg

5 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

It's simply a manufacturing artifact that does nothing to increase or decrease desirability or value.

Thanks Red_Hood. Wow that was a quick answer. You guys know it all! Really appreciate it :)

Printing defect. I personally hate these, especially the unsightly ones like this.  Although mechanically it’s not supposed to affect the grade, I do think it makes it less desirable though.  If you present two books of identical grade to someone for sale, but one has a defect like this and other doesn’t, I’d bet most would choose the unblemished one.  

9 hours ago, Brian48 said:

Printing defect. I personally hate these, especially the unsightly ones like this.  Although mechanically it’s not supposed to affect the grade, I do think it makes it less desirable though.  If you present two books of identical grade to someone for sale, but one has a defect like this and other doesn’t, I’d bet most would choose the unblemished one.  

Thanks Brian48. Yes I would totally take the unblemished one too! Thanks for letting me know about the defect not being worth anything!

I think that's an old sticker mark. I see this on a lot of comics over here in the UK, usually from Forbidden Planet and Dark They Were, as they used to put them on all their books. I had some the other day, Took the stickers off and quite often they leave discoloration marks like this.

On 7/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, herc2000 said:

I think that's an old sticker mark. I see this on a lot of comics over here in the UK, usually from Forbidden Planet and Dark They Were, as they used to put them on all their books. I had some the other day, Took the stickers off and quite often they leave discoloration marks like this.

I agree. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the image.

2 hours ago, Lazyboy said:
On 7/28/2019 at 10:03 AM, herc2000 said:

I agree. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the image.

It's not. It's just a place where the ink didn't adhere to the plate on the red plate. The sharp corners suggest a stray piece of paper got stuck to the red plate. It's backwards for a sticker mark (that is, a sticker "fade" would leave the area under the sticker darker than the surrounding area, and there's no discoloration in the other colors.) If it was a "leach" of the red ink from sticker adhesive, the rest of the area would show some signs as well.

OP, if you check the gloss in the area, you'll almost certainly notice no break in the gloss.

This is a printing error in my view. A sticker wouldn't do that - remove all the red ink leaving a perfectly clean yellow area with such clean lines. 

Stickers do this to sun faded copies:

1550067955_70cf(2).jpg.f337be1c0aad74b08efa51be0bf2646d.jpg.722f9ff4100c65c0c62b47f65c3ab844.jpg

Or they leave a dirty discoloration mark. Or they rip the paper off. But they don't magically remove red ink completely. 

As for value, I would pay a premium for it if I was an avid Jonah Hex completist. As Jim said, its nifty, and I don't see any others on ebay at the moment. I'm not sure how many avid JH completists there are in the world though. 

Either way, I think it's cool. 

34 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

But they don't magically remove red ink completely.

If I hasn't seen it before, I wouldn't have thought of it immediately upon seeing the image.

13 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's not. It's just a place where the ink didn't adhere to the plate on the red plate. The sharp corners suggest a stray piece of paper got stuck to the red plate. It's backwards for a sticker mark (that is, a sticker "fade" would leave the area under the sticker darker than the surrounding area, and there's no discoloration in the other colors.) If it was a "leach" of the red ink from sticker adhesive, the rest of the area would show some signs as well.

It certainly could be a printing defect, but I have seen stickers do that before.

2 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

If I hasn't seen it before, I wouldn't have thought of it immediately upon seeing the image.

It certainly could be a printing defect, but I have seen stickers do that before.

Not that cleanly / completely,  surely?

Do you want fireworks for your 5,000th post? :)

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

If I hasn't seen it before

...and are you channeling Popeye tonight? 

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Not that cleanly / completely,  surely?

Yes. But I don't know if I still own any of those books, so I'm not sure I can provide any pictures.

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

...and are you channeling Popeye tonight? 

doh!

9 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Yes. But I don't know if I still own any of those books, so I'm not sure I can provide any pictures.

doh!

I had an ASM #130 with a similar scenario but that was very patchy / raggedy. I'll see if I can find the scan. 

Oh, and by the way..

443728992_2019-07-3022_42_43.jpg.b9689660d504c2c8470b6a2be6c497ee.jpg

clangers.gif.d1401acc5b8f7f37ee24f29fb91e7506.gif.0fcc5f265d38790c3608da7144f6431c.gif

I think that's a sticker mark, I have never seen a  sticker mark leave it a darker color as opposed to lighter, unless, like the old Battle comic where the comic has faded over time or sunlight. But for a comic from the 80's, 70's, which I have seen so many times with stickers on, which I usually take the stickers off and noticed that certain colors are affected more than others, in particular red, orange are always yellow under the sticker. It does not usually affect black or white for some reason, but is different on other colors, two samples of books I just took stickers off of.

They nearly always have the same shape as well. Also feel the part of the logo on the Jonah Hex, the paper sometimes has a different feel to the rest of the cover, almost like a dry greasy feeling ;-)

bb.jpg

bbbb2.jpg

mok.jpg

mokbc.jpg

2 hours ago, herc2000 said:

two samples of books I just took stickers off of.

Hmmm. I'm starting to think I'm batting for the wrong team now...hm

19 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I had an ASM #130 with a similar scenario but that was very patchy / raggedy. I'll see if I can find the scan. 

Here it is

1103448940_130YellowBreak.PNG.cc1b73f7e3dce46bc54b71cff7bb3112.PNG

1297891336_130YellowBreakFull.thumb.JPG.29bacc193cc389a4de33e183b2e8b6cf.JPG