• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jonah Hex #3 Rare misprint or worthless?

32 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Happened down in Supermobile square too

Yes. And iffy Spidey logo chesty

15 hours ago, herc2000 said:

They nearly always have the same shape as well. Also feel the part of the logo on the Jonah Hex, the paper sometimes has a different feel to the rest of the cover, almost like a dry greasy feeling ;-)

hm

So, I've seen certain oily compounds that have taken off red ink, but left the yellow ink underneath undisturbed. 

Is there a "grease shadow" on the other side of the paper?

It's the cleanness of the sample that makes it so suspect...it's SO clean and sharp and uniform...but...that outline is unmistakeable. What about the other side of the sticker? Any evidence of the missing red layer?

But.........

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

\s-l1600.jpg

CaptainAmerica212ErrorEdition.jpg&f=1

Here's the test: if another copy (or more) can be found with the identical mark...which seems rather impossible...then it's production.

Otherwise...I think you folks are right...whatever the chemical makeup of the FP stickers is capable of cleanly removing the red ink, but keeping the underlying yellow layer undisturbed, while likewise not affecting the black or blue inks either (cyan, magenta, yellow, and key for you printing snobs out there.) Like I said, I've seen some oily compounds remove the red before and leave the yellow underneath intact...don't ask me what or how, but if I stumble on it again, I'll share.

:D

On 7/28/2019 at 6:03 PM, herc2000 said:

I think that's an old sticker mark. I see this on a lot of comics over here in the UK, usually from Forbidden Planet and Dark They Were, as they used to put them on all their books. I had some the other day, Took the stickers off and quite often they leave discoloration marks like this.

Thanks herc2000. I remember going to FP when it was at 23 Denmark Street, when it was real comic shop!

On 7/30/2019 at 9:06 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's not. It's just a place where the ink didn't adhere to the plate on the red plate. The sharp corners suggest a stray piece of paper got stuck to the red plate. It's backwards for a sticker mark (that is, a sticker "fade" would leave the area under the sticker darker than the surrounding area, and there's no discoloration in the other colors.) If it was a "leach" of the red ink from sticker adhesive, the rest of the area would show some signs as well.

OP, if you check the gloss in the area, you'll almost certainly notice no break in the gloss.

Wow thanks RockMyAmadeus you are right!