• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: Storage Units and Comics (DON'T DO IT)
2 2

121 posts in this topic

There is nothing wrong with storing your stuff in a storage unit- if it is properly insured.  Keep in mind that all that is protecting your stuff is a lock.  Get the right policy and you are fine. Adding my two storage units to my renters insurance and my CIA policy cost $3 a week extra. My personal rule of thumb is nothing worth more than $100 goes into storage.

Don't make it easy for thieves. If you have sixty identical white boxes, don't write things like Premium wall books for show on one of them. Don't take anyone to your storage unit. Don't discuss your unit with anyone. If you have a valuable collection you must store, consider getting rfid tags for the boxes.

Most of all, make sure your insurance is adequate and covers storage units.

Edited by shadroch

For god sake if you are going to store anything in a storage unit, store vicious pit bulls in there.

8 minutes ago, Hudson said:

IMO.... As a general “rule of thumb” if you have so much “stuff” that you are compelled to spend money on a storage unit, just to store it all, then you probably have too much stuff.    At this point your possessions may have started to possess you.  

That being said, I agree with the OP and all his fine reasoning.   Good post.  

Your post reminded me of this classic bit

The reason the storage facility puts a limit on how much of a value you are allowed to put in storage (usually around $5000) is twofold.  The first one is obvious as the OP has stated.  They can "they can weasel out of responsibility by stating you violated the contract by storing high value items in the unit."

But let me explain this- the price of the unit is based on the size of the unit. Not the content.  But the rental price remains fixed.  Hypothetical example- one 10x10 unit is full of Hefty bags filled with dirty underwear and used shoes and such.  The guy next to him rents a 10x10 unit for exactly the same price, but he loads it with gold bars.  The rent is not based on the value of the stored items. By rights, shouldn't the renter storing gold bars be paying significantly more than the guy with the garbage bags?  

Storage facilities are not in the business of covering the value of the contents.  They don't temporarily "own" the contents while in storage. That would be known as bailment.  

I know this won't be a popular post, but it is truthful and explains the limit situation.  

I heard of a dealer who had a couple of storerooms filled with inventory, so a few years ago he got a storage unit to put a lot of it in.

A few years later he went to move it out of storage and found the unit was completely empty.

Turns out he rented the unit, put it on monthly autopay, but forgot to actually MOVE any of his inventory into it. Years of spending $$ in storage fees  to store nothing but air. Lol! 

18 minutes ago, jcjames said:

I heard of a dealer who had a couple of storerooms filled with inventory, so a few years ago he got a storage unit to put a lot of it in.

A few years later he went to move it out of storage and found the unit was completely empty.

Turns out he rented the unit, put it on monthly autopay, but forgot to actually MOVE any of his inventory into it. Years of spending $$ in storage fees  to store nothing but air. Lol! 

:cry:

58 minutes ago, jcjames said:

It’s just like that song - “chicks for money, nothin’ for free”.  Or something like that.