• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist Remarks, plus CGC Membership Discounts, and Facilitators

4 posts in this topic

Everyone,

I buy a few Signature Series here and there on ebay, but I haven't had a membership in years for any of the slab companies. However I recently moved and I have my man cave, so I can start displaying some of my comics and got my CGC Membership. I am headed to a con today and I am perplexed by a few things, plus have a few questions.

1) I know that CGC upcharge 10 bucks for a SS, which I would assume covers the overhead of the witness having to do their job. However at the con today I believe the facilitator is charging another 10 bucks on top of that to cover their overhead. Does CGC not kick back a portion of their 10 if they are not at a con, and a facilitator is? Is it normal to get double dipped this way? Please take into account that I am not at the con yet and might have misunderstood the way it was explained to me over the phone. They also charge an extra 5 for each autograph, but I believe that part to be normal.

2) The artists and creators have started a significant upcharge for CGC now, so I am thinking of bringing a few omnibuses as well. What percent on average do they upcharge for "remark" sketches? I am talking about the quickie ones. The ones they can do in about 10 seconds. Basically I want to know if that falls under "head sketches", or it is kinda like the amount of time it would take to write a sentence. Plus I know every artist or creator is different, so I am just looking for generalizations. 

Thanks In Advance,

John

Oh, I also forgot to ask that if using a facilitator, do you get your cgc membership discount?

Edited by Bjorne
Forgot something.

1. The buyer doesn’t get a discount really on anything, but for some facilitators count the Cgc fee into what they charge you, and some have you pay Cgc separately in addition to the facilitator fee  Depends on the facilitator, so contact whichever one you’re working with for more details.

2.  The remark price is wide and varied by artist, venue, their agent, possibly the facilitator.  You can do whatever research or reach out to the agent, artist, or facilitator for info, but I don’t think it’s very easy to generalize a price or percentage

On 7/27/2019 at 9:12 AM, Bjorne said:

Oh, I also forgot to ask that if using a facilitator, do you get your cgc membership discount?

If you're talking about the Collector's Society memberships with 10%/15% discounts on grading, that discount doesn't apply to SS books. You only get a discount on SS books if you have a CGC dealer account.