• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good substitute to CGC case Mylar bags
2 2

32 posts in this topic

What's the best bag for CGC cases?  I like Mylar but don't like the stiffness of the bags.  I know they're the best quality and you don't have to change them...ever.  But if not mylar, what's the next best thing?

Also, since CGC has changed their cases, I heard that the regular bag that fit snugly no longer holds the newer cases.  What have people used for those newer cases for protection?  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, Robert Doggett said:

What's the best bag for CGC cases?  I like Mylar but don't like the stiffness of the bags.  I know they're the best quality and you don't have to change them...ever.  But if not mylar, what's the next best thing?

Also, since CGC has changed their cases, I heard that the regular bag that fit snugly no longer holds the newer cases.  What have people used for those newer cases for protection?  Any and all thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks!!

Pretty sure if you make an angled cut from the outside edge of the flat towards the inside edge of the bags this helps fix the stiffness problem. 

I haven’t done any with my current books but I think you might have to actually cut some of the edge of the bag like I described above to fix the issue

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Wouldn’t Mylar be overkill and a waste of money for a slab? All you need is something to keep the case from scratching. The bags that come with it seem to do the job. I always take off the bag to view a slab anyway. 

Agreed Mylar may be overkill but for those of us that display them, the CGC bags are too cloudy.

On 7/27/2019 at 11:09 AM, Robert Doggett said:

I recommend the bags from @Hotflips, they are crystal clear(mucho-er clearer than the CGC bags) and come in a snug or slightly larger size for thicker slabs. I use the Flip & Stick(which I won't use on comics). Available in 50 packs or case, Magazine size available as well. Free shipping in the lower 48 states. Link

On 10/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, WoWitHurts said:

I have a bunch of these and I think they are too rigid. I am thinking of swapping out about 250 cases with something else.

BCW made some resealable bags for graded books.  They were fairly good; clear and a good fit.  The brand worked great with the older slab style.  BCW has modified the bags with the 9x14 size to accomodate newer CGC slabs.  BCW Graded Bags.  You could check those out.  

Why are these so pricey to ship?  I usually just pick up all my EGerber supplies at their factory every other year when I go to Baltimore Comic Con.  But the others are no where near me.  Do they offer free shipping for ordering over a certain amount?

Shipping prices to VA:

EGerber 914M2 2mil Mylar 9"x14 1/4" 50ct = $21.75 (minimum shipping order must be $100 so must be local pickup.  Otherwise, if trying to qualify for shipping least amount to order would be 200 ct + 2x 50 ct (300ct) $113.50 + $15 shipping = $128.50 ~ 43 cents/bag

BCW 2mil Polypropalene (Resealable) 9"x14" 100 ct =  $12.25 + $10.89 shipping = $23.14 ~ 23 cents/bag

Bags Unlimited 3mil Polyethylene (Resealable) 8 5/8" x 13 3/16"  25 ct = $13.56 + $5.50 shipping = $19.06 ~ 76 cents/bag

Clear Bags 1.6mil  biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP) (Resealable) B814 8 15/16" x 9 1/4"   100 ct = $14.38 + $8.39 Economy Shipping = $22.77 ~ 23 cents/bag

At these prices, the BCW and Clear bags are the least expensive but not sure about their durability.  Sliding a bagged CGC slab into a full CGC box causes rips in the poly bags.

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Is there any danger of stiff Mylar scratching slab cases?

I guess that would depend on the hardness of mylar vs cgc slab. I have some cgc cases I could test that out on. Though typically the only areas where that contact would occur is on the outer sides and stackable front and back edges of the slab. Scratches to those areas may not be all that noticeable. 

On 10/16/2019 at 11:38 AM, Robot Man said:

Wouldn’t Mylar be overkill and a waste of money for a slab? All you need is something to keep the case from scratching. The bags that come with it seem to do the job. I always take off the bag to view a slab anyway. 

Yes. But that's how I roll anyway. 

And acid-free tape just because. :devil:

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

Is there any danger of stiff Mylar scratching slab cases?

No.

*edit* assuming that both surfaces are free of scouring debris. 

Edited by newshane