• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good substitute to CGC case Mylar bags
2 2

32 posts in this topic

Mylar. 

No other available product for these purposes is stronger or clearer or longer-lasting. 

Libraries, universities, museums, and governments around the world use it to preserve their documents. 

As Uncle Stan would say, "'nuff said". 

Just now, newshane said:

No.

Newshane is right.  ANSWER: the mylar does NOT impose a scratch on a cgc case any more than the other bags would mainly because it isn't the bag that would do the scratching (note: the case does scuff up the mylar bag a bit around the edges but at least the bag doesn't tear like the poly bags). 

However, scuffing of the case does occur on the edges but it is actually caused by the raised case ridge separators at the tops and bottoms of the back of each slab.  Those raised ridges/separators are the stackable pieces that allow the cases to lay securely on top of each other.  However, if you're constantly removing and inserting these slabs into a tightly packed CGC box, those raise ridges will scrape along the thick right and left front edges of the CGC edges and etch a rough streak along those edges.  It doesn't affect the visibility of the comic and is only noticeable if you run your finger along the smooth right and left edges until you feel the rough streak.  I suspect the mylar actually reduces/blunts the degree of scuffing on the edges vs the polybags that ultimately tear leading to more severe direct case on case scuffing.

Lesson is, don't overstuff your CGC box and mylars are still the best but PRICEY!!!

11 hours ago, justafan said:

Why are these so pricey to ship?  I usually just pick up all my EGerber supplies at their factory every other year when I go to Baltimore Comic Con.  But the others are no where near me.  Do they offer free shipping for ordering over a certain amount?

Shipping prices to VA:

EGerber 914M2 2mil Mylar 9"x14 1/4" 50ct = $21.75 (minimum shipping order must be $100 so must be local pickup.  Otherwise, if trying to qualify for shipping least amount to order would be 200 ct + 2x 50 ct (300ct) $113.50 + $15 shipping = $128.50 ~ 43 cents/bag

BCW 2mil Polypropalene (Resealable) 9"x14" 100 ct =  $12.25 + $10.89 shipping = $23.14 ~ 23 cents/bag

Bags Unlimited 3mil Polyethylene (Resealable) 8 5/8" x 13 3/16"  25 ct = $13.56 + $5.50 shipping = $19.06 ~ 76 cents/bag

Clear Bags 1.6mil  biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP) (Resealable) B814 8 15/16" x 9 1/4"   100 ct = $14.38 + $8.39 Economy Shipping = $22.77 ~ 23 cents/bag

At these prices, the BCW and Clear bags are the least expensive but not sure about their durability.  Sliding a bagged CGC slab into a full CGC box causes rips in the poly bags.

Ok looks like there is some free shipping for ordering over certain amounts as well as some breakpoints for certain quantities

BCW - Orders over $80 get free shipping.  Ordering 10 or more packs of the 2mil 9x14" bags are $1.20 cheaper.  You can order 8 packs (800 bags) at $10.03/pack for $80.24 and get free shipping. ~ 10 cents/bag but if you order 2 more packs you get the breakpoint and pay $88.30 with free shipping for 1000 bags gets you to 9 cents/bag which kinda makes it buy 9 get 1 free.

Bags Unlimited - Orders over $40 get free shipping.  Order the 200 pack for a breakpoint discount which comes to $48.15 with free shipping makes it ~ 24 cents/bag. There's no other lower quantity combination that will net you a lower overall purchase price.

Clear Bags - there is no free shipping for ordering over a certain quantity but their breakpoint discounts for quantity that pretty much cover the shipping.  you must order 10 packs at $10.38/pack for a total of $103.80 + $8.65 shipping = $112.45 bringing it to ~ 11 cents/bag

EGerber - no free shipping but there is free pickup.  The largest breakpoint is 1000 bags for $310 which comes to ~ 31 cents/bag.

I am biased towards the Mylar but also the Bags Unlimited as I believe those are a thicker and fit more snuggly on the CGC slabs as they are 8 5/8" wide vs the Mylite2 9" wide which leave a bit of excess on the edge I don't care for.  The Bags Unlimited bags also come with a resealable tape on the flap.  The EGerber Mylite2's do not.  Not certain how clear Bags Unlimited are vs EGerber Mylites2 but the EGerber is super shiny clear..

That said, from a strictly cost standpoint, if you want quantity over durability/clarity go with the BCW for 800 or 1000 quantity if you have that many CGC slabs to cover or the Clear Bags at 7 cents/bag if you need 12,000 bags!  If you want quality over cost, it seems the Bags Unlimited or the EGerber mylite2s are the better option if you can live with the excess baggyness of the Mylite2s and live near Baltimore.  I think I'm going to order some Bags Unlimited and try them out and report back if I prefer them to EGerber.

Does Hotflips resell rebranded EGerber Mylite2s or do they make their own?

Edited by justafan

On 10/23/2019 at 10:13 PM, justafan said:

I am biased towards the Mylar but also the Bags Unlimited as I believe those are a thicker and fit more snuggly on the CGC slabs as they are 8 5/8" wide vs the Mylite2 9" wide which leave a bit of excess on the edge I don't care for.  The Bags Unlimited bags also come with a resealable tape on the flap.  The EGerber Mylite2's do not.  Not certain how clear Bags Unlimited are vs EGerber Mylites2 but the EGerber is super shiny clear..

That said, from a strictly cost standpoint, if you want quantity over durability/clarity go with the BCW for 800 or 1000 quantity if you have that many CGC slabs to cover or the Clear Bags at 7 cents/bag if you need 12,000 bags!  If you want quality over cost, it seems the Bags Unlimited or the EGerber mylite2s are the better option if you can live with the excess baggyness of the Mylite2s and live near Baltimore.  I think I'm going to order some Bags Unlimited and try them out and report back if I prefer them to EGerber.

Does Hotflips resell rebranded EGerber Mylite2s or do they make their own?

I have to amend my recommendation for this post.  I recently received an order of the 3 mil CGC bags from Bags Unlimited and was hoping they were the more clear/transparent bags being made from polyethylene vs polypropylene.  However, I am disappointed to report they are still as dull as you would expect from the polybags.  The fit is way more snug than the EGerber bags but so much so that you really have to carefully inch your way once you get the CGC slab halfway into the bag (they fit the original CGC slabs better).  It is a very tight fit requiring some considerable effort to insert and remove the slab which you (or a buyer) will want to do in order to properly inspect the book through the case.  I'll upload some photos of the comparison but it's not even close compared to the EGerber bags.  The Bags Unlimited bags do feel thicker than the traditional 2mil polybags and somewhat more than the 2mil EGerber mylites2 but not as durable as the EGerber mylites2; it also appears to come at a cost of clarity.  Indeed, the Bags Unlimited bags new out of the box do appear to have spots of abrasion or scuffing on the bag front/back that significantly reduce the clarity and visibility of the comic through the bag such that it presents a more translucent view of the book than a transparent view.  Considering how clear the CGC cases (and the other guys cases are) it's a shame to house them in such a manner.

Hence I rescind my recommendation of those bags unless you prefer the snug fit and feel of polyethylene vs mylar.  The bags do come with a resealable flap that is just long enough to fold over the tape portion with the new CGC bags.  CGC super cases for thicker books or Giant Sized special comics will not fit into this bag.  One example I tried was an ASM 800 issue case. 

Ok so now I'm really just looking for mylar or Biaxially-oriented polypropylene (BOPP) bags that are no wider than 8 5/8" to fit the older thinner CGC case style. Someone used to make these because I have a few in that size that came with the slab when I bought the comic. Currently only the Bags Unlimited polyethylene bags come in that width but are also at least 13.5" long.  Sadly the Bags Unlimited bags are just too dull looking and not as durable despite being 3mil thick.  EGerber has smaller bags that are 8 5/8" x 11" but that's too short for a graded comic.

I would like the EGerber or ClearBags to be able to fit more snuggly on the older cases.  Does anyone know of a company that makes mylar CGC case bags no wider than 8 5/8"?

Here's the difference in Bags Unlimited (Left) vs EGerber (Middle) vs Clear Bags (Right)

20191101_200806.thumb.jpg.f1ab55f7202635cffe0b44c1b339d9fc.jpg

Here is a view of what a single bag from Bags Unlimited (Left), EGerber Mylites2 (Middle), and ClearBags (Right) looks like and how transparent they are:

Bags Unlimited is the most dull, EGerber showing a sharper transparent image but with some obvious darkening of the wood behind it and ClearBags showing the most clear and lighter transparency.

20191101_201350.thumb.jpg.e56a74009e47d84a1e7ba1d0ed41a82f.jpg

And here's what a newer CGC clear case comic looks like in each bag:

Bags Unlimited 3mil Polyethylene:

Extremely snug/tight fit with noticeable dulling of the view of the comic. The more flimsy of the 3 its plastic scuffs and abrades easily especially when stacking more than 5 or if inserting/removing from a full CGC box.

BagsUnlimited.thumb.jpg.a8130e1b6797d2b2a51a97530cde469c.jpg

EGerber Mylites2 2mil Mylar:

Very clear glass like appearance (and also lots of glare) but also quite baggy extending 1/4"-1/2" on either side.  The bag is the most rigid of the 3 and the must durable easily standing up to abrasions.

EGerber.thumb.jpg.ca86558e19d6e8bfd3e94b6d095efd0e.jpg

ClearBags1.6mil Biaxially-Oriented Polypropylene (BOPP):

Nearly perfectly clear (less glare) and transparent view of the comic. Slightly less baggy extending only a 1/4" on either side. The bag feels much more flimsy than EGerbers but more durable than the polyethylene of Bags Unlimited.

ClearBags.thumb.jpg.28c01fd04f8726cfa8ad9cc8f7295bcc.jpg

Over all from an affordability and quality standpoint I think the ClearBags are the way to go.  Though I do like the durable and rigid feel of the EGerber Mylites2, I just wish they made them a half inch thinner in width so that you wouldn't have to crinkle the sides every time you removed and inserted the bagged CGC case in a CGC box.  Below are some close ups of the packaging and why the EGerber and ClearBags shipping is more pricey.

Bags Unlimited come doubled over loosely folded in half in a small 10"x8" cardboard box.  I ordered 200 so all 200 came in 8 packs of 25 folded like this which can account for some warping and possible dulling of the bag.

20191101_200826.thumb.jpg.48c44c244bc9659371ed2bafbe19c226.jpg

The EGerber packs are very rigid and if you try to fold them the Mylar will crease in a plastic manner which will leave a permanent crease in all the bags.  For this reason they ship them in packs of 50 stacked flat on top of each other in thick cardboard boxes which requires that you purchase a certain dollar amount before even getting the option to have them shipped.  Shipping can be pricey so local pickup is recommended unless you're a baller and only the best will do.

20191101_200849.thumb.jpg.47f5538b3f32daf32ccc2e190fcf5f84.jpg

ClearBags also have to be shipped flat and carefully as folding them may result in permanent crinkle or crease on the bags.  However, they do allow you to buy a single pack of 50 but are shipped in a large flat cardboard envelope.  I imagine that if you were to order 3 or more packs it would have to be shipped in a box.

20191101_200858.thumb.jpg.2dacbbc6bd1c01766031464d8352a470.jpg

20191101_200207.thumb.jpg.19289443753807c5d51235fff54d23d2.jpg

Anyway I hope this helps someone make their decision.  I'm just going to use up the cheap Bags Unlimited 3mil bags on my old CGC slabs and probably use Clear Bags for the newer thicker CGC cases and EGerber for my most valuable CGC graded comics.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:06 AM, Angel of Death said:

Why would you obscure the CGC slab with a bag if you're displaying it/them?

Why would you obscure the book with a CGC slab? :screwy:

On 1/20/2021 at 7:20 PM, twoseezy said:

@justafan what kind of tape do you use on the backside of the gerber cgc bags? Im looking for the cleanest, most refined looking option!

For the eGerber Mylars I just use normal 3M Magic scotch or duck brand translucent tape.  The really clear kind tend to leave a residue on the mylar if you're pealing and resealing the tape or often become so bonded to the mylar that it tears the tape.  I also hate the very opaque tape for the same reasons. Though I haven't tried the 3M Removable tape (light blue packaging vs green) but might give that a try.  I also use the fold-over tab method with the magic scotch or duck tape.  This is where you fold one end of the piece of tape about 1/4" onto itself such that you fold 1/4" of the sticky side onto the same sticky side.  This leaves a tab that is not sticky facing the same direction as the sticky side that allows you to easily unseal the tape when attached to the mylar.  I usually affix the tape to the folded mylar tab with the non-sticky end of the tape on top with only a 1/4" of the sticky side on the mylar tab and the rest (1/2") on the mylar back that the mylar tab is folded onto.  That was probably a terrible description of what I'm trying to explain but many boardies use this method when sealing their comics to prevent mishaps with tape such as tape pulls and making removing the tape so much easier. I'll look for a photo to post later to show what I mean.

On 1/21/2021 at 5:55 AM, Angel of Death said:

:flipbait:

LOL! First and foremost, I use bags on all my slabbed comics primarily to protect the case when they are in a graded CGC box, especially one that is nearly full as the friction of the inserting and removing tends to scratch the slabs. It also acts as a nice fingerprint barrier when showing to friends who aren't so much interested about the finer points of the grade and book structure and more so about just holding and looking at it.  When I do display a book I take the bag off.  I also have a reader copy of my graded books that allows me all the sensory benefits of the book. For anyone displaying a book, it should be done without direct exposure to sunlight or right under an older florescent light due to potential damage from UV.  If you must, then try to use a case with UV protective glass and limit the time of exposure.

On 1/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, justafan said:

For the eGerber Mylars I just use normal 3M Magic scotch or duck brand translucent tape.  The really clear kind tend to leave a residue on the mylar if you're pealing and resealing the tape or often become so bonded to the mylar that it tears the tape.  I also hate the very opaque tape for the same reasons. Though I haven't tried the 3M Removable tape (light blue packaging vs green) but might give that a try.  I also use the fold-over tab method with the magic scotch or duck tape.  This is where you fold one end of the piece of tape about 1/4" onto itself such that you fold 1/4" of the sticky side onto the same sticky side.  This leaves a tab that is not sticky facing the same direction as the sticky side that allows you to easily unseal the tape when attached to the mylar.  I usually affix the tape to the folded mylar tab with the non-sticky end of the tape on top with only a 1/4" of the sticky side on the mylar tab and the rest (1/2") on the mylar back that the mylar tab is folded onto.  That was probably a terrible description of what I'm trying to explain but many boardies use this method when sealing their comics to prevent mishaps with tape such as tape pulls and making removing the tape so much easier. I'll look for a photo to post later to show what I mean.

I prefer 3M scotch tape.  I've found the Duck scotch tape doesn't do the trick for me. It's too sticky and doesn't peel back cleanly.  I always end up tearing the tape then having to remove it just to apply another strip.  Also, I fold an end to give it a "tab" so that I don't snag a (raw) book with it.  The tape stays on the back of the bag and not on the flap.