• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM My Greatest Adventure 80- First Doom Patrol!

12 posts in this topic

3.0-3.5*

I see spine stress, maybe a spine roll, color break creases bottom right, overflash and chipping.  I might be overly harsh, not sure how they'll grade the detached page.

Most of the damage is color break and press won't help, if there is spine roll it should address that.

Slabbing is such a personal decision.  I like to slab high value books.  If this were an important book to me I would slab because the detached page situation is going to get worse as long as the book is raw.

*I'm here to work on my grading.

5 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Thank you! Press or no press?

I think I'd be concerned about a staple pop, so I'd lean away from it. Others may feel differently.

BTW, any splitting at the bottom of the spine?

16 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I think I'd be concerned about a staple pop, so I'd lean away from it. Others may feel differently.

BTW, any splitting at the bottom of the spine?

Would you  personally slab something like this due to the center page detactment or is it too low grade?

44 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Would you  personally slab something like this due to the center page detactment or is it too low grade?

No, probably not. Are you looking to sell it?

I’m pretty conservative with slabbing stuff myself—I do it only if I am planning to sell and it’s a high-dollar book or one whose value would jump substantially in a slab. If it’s kind of a tweener, more often than not I just go for the quicker raw sale and use the funds for something else. 

8 hours ago, Point Five said:

No, probably not. Are you looking to sell it?

I’m pretty conservative with slabbing stuff myself—I do it only if I am planning to sell and it’s a high-dollar book or one whose value would jump substantially in a slab. If it’s kind of a tweener, more often than not I just go for the quicker raw sale and use the funds for something else. 

I wasn't planning on selling it soon, but was thinking about slabbing due to the detached page?  Or is leaving it mylite fine?

19 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I wasn't planning on selling it soon, but was thinking about slabbing due to the detached page?  Or is leaving it mylite fine?

Pretty much anything in bag-and-board is "fine".

I'd advocate slabbing if it was a wraparound cover or something to admire on the back, but 'back in the day' they didn't really do that, so I wouldn't advise it here.

I like the aesthetic of bagging and boarding because you have the opportunity to handle the comic without wasting money (i.e. cracking a slab). As I've mentioned numerous times around here - I typically only buy Signature Series CGC products.

A bag and board in proper conditions will protect the current integrity of this comic, unless you plan on admiring it on a Bed of Razors, or around a fire pit, or plan on playing 'catch' with it, etc etc etc...

Whatever you do - it's a very nice looking book!