• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this trimmed at the top? Showcase 55

82 posts in this topic

Just now, James J Johnson said:

If I were the God of anything, I wouldn't have fell flat on my face on the cross-forum express! Band-aid, anyone? xD

I do keep an adequate supply on hand for occasions such as these...  

23 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Yeah, I guess I'll just read through the restoration thread that's stickeyed.  What do you find is the most common restoration?  color touch?

Yes. Look for fractures. "Rivers" of white within areas of color. When abruptly the white (exposed paper fibers beneath the color) flakes disappear along that fracrture line, and then suddenly reappear elsewhere, that can be a sure tell of color touch.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. Look for fractures. "Rivers" of white within areas of color. When abruptly the white (exposed paper fibers beneath the color) flakes disappear along that fracrture line, and then suddenly reappear elsewhere, that can be a sure tell of color touch.

I fear we may blow his mind if we tell him about the "dot-matrix"...

49 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Page count too. A lot of folks overlook it.

When you mean page count, I just check sequential numbers are there till the letters section?  Or physically count the pages?  How many should I expect in silver age books?   I typically only buy modern, so this is the first time I've started buying silver age stuff.  

3 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

When you mean page count, I just check sequential numbers are there till the letters section?  Or physically count the pages?  How many should I expect in silver age books?   I typically only buy modern, so this is the first time I've started buying silver age stuff.  

OK, I'll try to boil this down as much as possible: Most standard Silver Age books have 8 wraps. We used to write it like this: 8 - 8. So, this means 8 pages on either side of the centerfold (plus the cover). So the total page count would actually be 16 pages. That's why a certified book that has a missing page will usually say something like this: "12th page missing, does not affect story" (the 12th page in quite a few early Marvel Silver Age books is quite often a pin-up page). If you ever run across an odd page count (like 8 - 7, for example) you may have a missing page on your hands (or you counted incorrectly, I've done that a few times). It's usually not too hard to figure out which page it is on a regular comic, but sometimes it can be a real pain in the you-know-what, especially if there are multiple pages missing. The most common missing pages that I remember are the 3rd, the 12th, the 16th, and the centerfold.  

Some other significant numbers are as follows: Standard Annuals or King-Size comics (like an FF Annual #6, for example): almost always 32 pages. 100 page Annuals: almost always 48 pages. Again, it's almost always an even number---very rarely will you encounter a Silver Age book with an odd numbered page count. There are a few exceptions, but it's so infrequent I can't remember what they are. 

Moderns don't usually have missing pages, but ya never know. I used to count them all anyway. It seems most of those are pretty standard page counts as well. The weirdest page counts are actually in some of the Golden Age books, but most of them are pretty standard. And again, nearly always even numbered. 

I hope this helps in some small way. And be careful not to get lost in the dot matrix...   O.o 

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

And be careful not to get lost in the dot matrix...   O.o 

Also, most comics have numbered story pages, only story pages, with the number appearing in the bottom right corner of the last panel on the page. Use that to assure that all the story pages are present and that the story is complete.

Little correction on the page/wrap issue.

A wrap is a full sheet of paper, folded at the center to make the...centerfold!

A leaf is half of a wrap...that is, what most people call individual "pages" in a comic.

A page is technically half of a leaf: one side of a "page."

When books have "80 pages" or "64 pages" or "52 pages" or "48 pages" printed on the cover, this is what they mean...and don't forget that the cover, itself, is one wrap, two leaves, and 4 "pages."

Standard books printed from 1950-1952 to the present have 36 pages, 18 leaves, and 9 wraps (including covers.) 8 interior leaves on one side of the staple, 8 interior leaves on the other.

MANY DC BOOKS from 1945-1952 often had "half wraps", half of a wrap, plus a little bit extra cut off on the other side. This will mess with the page count! Think Batman #86, for example.

CGC SHOULD say "6th LEAF missing", rather than "12th page", since it's impossible to have a single page missing...but they don't. 

6 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

A leaf is half of a wrap...that is, what most people call individual "pages" in a comic.

When books have "80 pages" or "64 pages" or "52 pages" or "48 pages" printed on the cover, this is what they mean...and don't forget that the cover, itself, is one wrap, two leaves, and 4 "pages."

Standard books printed from 1950-1952 to the present have 36 pages, 18 leaves, and 9 wraps (including covers.) 8 interior leaves on one side of the staple, 8 interior leaves on the other.

MANY DC BOOKS from 1945-1952 often had "half wraps", half of a wrap, plus a little bit extra cut off on the other side. This will mess with the page count! Think Batman #86, for example.

CGC SHOULD say "6th LEAF missing", rather than "12th page", since it's impossible to have a single page missing...but they don't. 

Great information RMA!  Thank you..  So technically, I'm doing a leaf count, not page count

17 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

100% yes!

And those DC books are the ones I was thinking of---they totally mess with the page count. Thanks for pointing that out, RMA...  (thumbsu