• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this trimmed at the top? Showcase 55

82 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2019 at 8:05 AM, Wolverinex said:

Let me know what you think?

I like it much better than the other copy. I think the staining would keep it out of 7.0, at least for me. I'd be more in the 6.0 - 6.5 range on it---anything less than that would be pretty harsh...

On 8/1/2019 at 10:09 PM, The Lions Den said:

I like it much better than the other copy. I think the staining would keep it out of 7.0, at least for me. I'd be more in the 6.0 - 6.5 range on it---anything less than that would be pretty harsh...

Picked this up today.  Any tips?20190805_173337.thumb.jpg.1a4aeb031f6215b97b7b4c8658d92e28.jpg

25 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Picked this up today.  Any tips?20190805_173337.thumb.jpg.1a4aeb031f6215b97b7b4c8658d92e28.jpg

Try it out on a few different books until you get comfortable with it. You should be able to easily see the dot matrix. Clarity is key. If you wear glasses, you may be able to see things better without them...  :foryou:

24 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Try it out on a few different books until you get comfortable with it. You should be able to easily see the dot matrix. Clarity is key. If you wear glasses, you may be able to see things better without them...  :foryou:

I see the dot matrix!!  now what! lol

12 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Welcome to the Microverse, Pilgrim! Look deep within and see if these guys rolled the welcome wagon out for you. They usually do for newbies, they're very tiny, but very hospitable.

welcome.gif

Edited by James J Johnson

43 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Welcome to the Microverse, Pilgrim! Look deep within and see if these guys rolled the welcome wagon out for you. They usually do for newbies, they're very tiny, but very hospitable.

welcome.gif

So My assumption is that if color touch happens, the dot matrix dissappears?  So that is what I"m looking for?

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

So My assumption is that if color touch happens, the dot matrix dissappears?  So that is what I"m looking for?

It can. Usually, it will be a disruption. You'll see dots of different colors on a white field and then they'll be pigmentation on that white field that when compared to another of the same book, isn't there!  Or an area that is supposed to look almost like a solid color from afar, when viewed closely, that should be dots is an area of solid color instead of a white field littered with individual dots. And if you happen to see those little fellers (I forgot their names, I just call them all "Bub") during your travels in the dot matrix microverse, give them my warmest regards, Triple J sends his best wishes, it's been too long, planning an extended visit real soon, we'll make a week of it, they'll like hearing that, they love company!

10 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

It can. Usually, it will be a disruption. You'll see dots of different colors on a white field and then they'll be pigmentation on that white field that when compared to another of the same book, isn't there!  Or an area that is supposed to look almost like a solid color from afar, when viewed closely, that should be dots is an area of solid color instead of a white field littered with individual dots. And if you happen to see those little fellers (I forgot their names, I just call them all "Bub") during your travels in the dot matrix microverse, give them my warmest regards, Triple J sends his best wishes, it's been too long, planning an extended visit real soon, we'll make a week of it, they'll like hearing that, they love company!

Awesome ! Will do.  I'm reading those articles you posted last week.    Btw, are the dots different between golden to silver to modern age?

https://legionofandy.com/2016/08/26/ben-day-dots-part-8-1930s-to-1950s-the-golden-age-of-comics/

54 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Awesome ! Will do.  I'm reading those articles you posted last week.    Btw, are the dots different between golden to silver to modern age?

https://legionofandy.com/2016/08/26/ben-day-dots-part-8-1930s-to-1950s-the-golden-age-of-comics/

Similar concept. Become adept at identifying the disruptions on Silver age and you should have no problem seeing the same tells on Golden age. Both the paper and dots will be affected in the same way. And those little fellers, I call them all "Bub" (they giggle every time I do) are all very accommodating. What they lack in size they make up for in graciousness, so don't be afraid to ask. After all, the dot matrix is their world, right? Who better? They're the ones who explained the ins and outs of their dot matrix microverse to Lion and me in the first place! (worship)

14 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Use the loupe to scan areas that are frequently color touched, such as the spine, the corners, the edges, color breaking creases, etc. Keep in mind that acrylic color touch doesn't usually bleed through the paper, which makes it more difficult to detect. But it will still obscure the dot matrix, because as far as I know, no one has been able to successfully duplicate it. 

You'll find it's useful for other resto, too, such as tear seals, trimming, etc.

And you can double check the books you thought were unrestored and make sure they really are...  (thumbsu   

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Keep in mind that acrylic color touch doesn't usually bleed through the paper,

Great point. Just because an inside cover doesn't have signs of ink soaking through (or the reverse, if the inside cover is color touched, which I have seen), doesn't mean no color touch is present. And just because a color touched area doesn't show itself as fluorescent under a black light doesn't mean it isn't hit as well. Use different lights. UV, natural, and artificial. This doesn't mean that you need to examine every book, every dot for hours on end each book. Color touch has tells. Even done well and to a small degree. What these macro tells do is to cause the suspicion that leads you to examine that area much closer and more extensively.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

Great point. Just because an inside cover doesn't have signs of ink soaking through (or the reverse, if the inside cover is color touched, which I have seen), doesn't mean no color touch is present. And just because a color touched area doesn't show itself as fluorescent under a black light doesn't mean it isn't hit as well. Use different lights. UV, natural, and artificial. This doesn't mean that you need to examine every book, every dot for hours on end each book. Color touch has tells. Even done well and to a small degree. What these macro tells do is to cause the suspicion that leads you to examine that area much closer and more extensively.

100% this!   

7 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

100% this!   

What might be a great study tool for him is to use the Heritage permanent auction archives. Not only are there tens of thousands of super enlargeable, clear, high res scans, probably the best on the net as far as images go, giving the viewer an unparalleled view on the ne into the micro details of a book, but there are plenty of restored examples in their files that can be super-enlarged and studied! He can start with a 50% zoom view and see if he can spot areas of irregularity on purple label color touched books, and when a tell occurs, zoom closer and see the visual effect of the color touch once discovered that we're commenting on!

15 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

What might be a great study tool for him is to use the Heritage permanent auction archives. Not only are there tens of thousands of super enlargeable, clear, high res scans, probably the best on the net as far as images go, giving the viewer an unparalleled view on the ne into the micro details of a book, but there are plenty of restored examples in their files that can be super-enlarged and studied! He can start with a 50% zoom view and see if he can spot areas of irregularity on purple label color touched books, and when a tell occurs, zoom closer and see the visual effect of the color touch once discovered that we're commenting on!

I still use it all the time. It's an incredible reference tool...  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I will start practicing!  is it here?https://comics.ha.com/

do I just type in restored?

7 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I will start practicing!  is it here?https://comics.ha.com/

do I just type in restored?

You can get very specific with the search, but I usually type a certain title (such as Fantastic Four) and the letters "CGC" to narrow things down a bit. What's nice is you can zoom in really close to see everything; even the dot matrix will be visible. It's pretty sweet...