• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it ever OK to 'alter' your original art?
3 3

68 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Was looking at this one on ebay, liked it, and then noticed the white out of the message from the artist in the right bottom corner. That's a lot of white out!

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c0c75e018968377202748666b273dd79.jpg

I've seen that Scot has had this up on ebay for quite a while. A very nice piece and very well priced. That said, my take on the image is that that it isn't white-out, but use of a metalic pen... and it looks significantly less visible, with the reflection of the light.

9 minutes ago, Fred Chamberlain said:

I've seen that Scot has had this up on ebay for quite a while. A very nice piece and very well priced. That said, my take on the image is that that it isn't white-out, but use of a metalic pen... and it looks significantly less visible, with the reflection of the light.

Good catch. And it is a nice piece, his work always reminds me of McGuinness. 

Ordinarily I'd consider trimming the art to be vandalism.  Whenever you see it, you wonder who was the who used to own the art that did that?

But I've got story pages that are 19.75" x 27.5", and the art is about 12.25" x 17.5".

I can get mylar sleeves and custom cut backing boards (minimum order 50!), but who makes a portfolio that these will fit in?

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

But I've got story pages that are 19.75" x 27.5", and the art is about 12.25" x 17.5".

I can get mylar sleeves and custom cut backing boards (minimum order 50!), but who makes a portfolio that these will fit in?

22x30"? Well there are some 24x36" portfolios out there, quite pricey though; you'll probably be better off with an acid free box.

Just pulled this off a quick search, not a specific recommendation: https://www.pfile.com/prod_detail_list/Acid-Free-Boxes-For-22x30

Mylar/bagging is not a requirement for art, but something to keep the dust and spiderwebs off is.

Why does the comic book obsession with bagging 'n boarding everything under the sun have to come over to comic art? Why?!!!

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Why does the comic book obsession with bagging 'n boarding everything under the sun have to come over to comic art? Why?!!!

Well, boxes get moved around, and pages can get blunted corners from moving around in the box :S.

Bagging and boarding, and/or some kind of portfolio (I prefer both), also gives the option of vertical storage.  Less of a footprint, easier access, why I'd like to avoid a box.  A 24"x36" box laid flat has a big footprint.

I've heard of people who store their hundreds of pages of art piled in stacks in their closet, not looked at for literally decades.  :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Taylor G said:

I've heard of people who store their hundreds of pages of art piled in stacks in their closet, not looked at for literally decades.  :facepalm:

Yep. Me and Walt Simonson. No boxes even lol