• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantagraphics Mechanics #1 B&W Error

12 posts in this topic

I purchased this book a while back but I recently found it in my collection and wanted to share. This comic came with a letter from Fantagraphics stating "some subscribers had contacted them complaining that they found a puddle of color at the bottom of the envelope and apparently the color was melting off the interior pages during shipping." The letter also mentions that "collectors should be aware that there are less than 400 copies of these de-colored Mechanics #1 in existence." 

Has anyone seen this before?

2_zpsecyw8yqf.jpg1_zpsartzelgk.jpg18_zpsgpbi8x0h.jpg17_zpsyl3ltvwv.jpg16_zpsdt7wxkf3.jpg15_zpsnavyattk.jpg14_zps7t0rw1mi.jpg13_zpsqxgaxfui.jpg12_zps4g6twirt.jpg10_zpslrf1chlg.jpg9_zpsc7cbs1d0.jpg7_zps1gtybv5h.jpg4_zpsx0qsulcn.jpg3_zpsk1qrolug.jpg

Edited by fufat

7 hours ago, divad said:

No, but I do like the fact that the original of the letter was TYPED, probably on an IBM Selectrix? But not word processed (1985) - just awesome history.

Yeah I'm glad the letter came with the book showing what caused the issue to be de-colored.

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Interior pages are b/w aren’t they? (shrug)

According to the publisher's letter the 1st copies sent to subscribers had this de-colored issue. Apparently they fixed it and sent out books with the intended colored interior pages.

The issue is commonly found with colored pages.

18 minutes ago, fufat said:

According to the publisher's letter the 1st copies sent to subscribers had this de-colored issue. Apparently they fixed it and sent out books with the intended colored interior pages.

The issue is commonly found with colored pages.

Ah, got it. I thought the copy you posted had the melted color off from the interior pages. The b/w interiors above had me confused a bit. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Jayman said:

Ah, got it. I thought the copy you posted had the melted color off from the interior pages. The b/w interiors above had me confused a bit. 👍🏻

Yes... the copy I posted does have all the color off the interior pages. Mechanics #1 normally has color interior pages.

I'm just sharing my find to the community so others can if desired, can track one down. 

Edited by fufat

I am open to being proven wrong here.  But this doesn't make sense to me.  Isn't it far more likely that the issue was just printed with b/w interior by mistake for a short run?  Even if the colors "melted" off the baxter pages, wouldn't they likely have stained the pages or the cover?  

10 hours ago, Transplant said:

I am open to being proven wrong here.  But this doesn't make sense to me.  Isn't it far more likely that the issue was just printed with b/w interior by mistake for a short run?  Even if the colors "melted" off the baxter pages, wouldn't they likely have stained the pages or the cover?  

I'm pretty sure it was a joke and the books were just accidentally printed in B&W.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:38 AM, fufat said:

Yes... the copy I posted does have all the color off the interior pages. Mechanics #1 normally has color interior pages.

I'm just sharing my find to the community so others can if desired, can track one down. 

Yeah, that’s just a b/w printing. No color ever “melted” off. Like the post above says, was just a joke in the letter. (thumbsu

16 hours ago, Jayman said:

Yeah, that’s just a b/w printing. No color ever “melted” off. Like the post above says, was just a joke in the letter. (thumbsu

I agree... the error probably was at the printer.