• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red label- reholder or regrade?

4 posts in this topic

I just bought a 9.2 cgc graded red label comic.

The case has a crack on the front but so I figured I would send it in and get it re slabbed.

i’ve done a bit of research and have read that some people believe the grading process back then was much tighter and that re grading a red label now might yield a higher grade by today’s standards. 

Would you play it safe and just get it re slabbed and keep the 9.2 or roll the dice and get a new grade. 

Thanks

8D1D4FDB-F18C-4EB5-8CD8-A7E8B2EA1F2C.jpeg

hard to tell from that far of a pic and no back cover pic, but its up to you financially as well as I think a re-holder is cheaper than submitting it through regrading. Also not to familiar with re-holder but I am not sure if there is a limit on this as the case has been cracked and if they would need to re submit through grading for this older slab, but if it looks a lot better you could roll the dice and see if you get a bump in grade. Can you get grader notes not sure about access or seeing grader notes on these older slabs. 

4 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

hard to tell from that far of a pic and no back cover pic, but its up to you financially as well as I think a re-holder is cheaper than submitting it through regrading. Also not to familiar with re-holder but I am not sure if there is a limit on this as the case has been cracked and if they would need to re submit through grading for this older slab, but if it looks a lot better you could roll the dice and see if you get a bump in grade. Can you get grader notes not sure about access or seeing grader notes on these older slabs. 

CGC will only require a re-grade if the case damage potentially impacts the condition of the comic. The generation of said case matters not.

In this case, it doesn't appear that a re-grade would be required.

I agree that it may be worth it to send for a re-grade.

27 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

Yea there are no notes on these in my experience. Iv looked up a few including this one and they don't even show up in the verification section. It was expensive (To me) so Im leaning on the just to send it in for a new case, its like $30 with shipping.