• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"From Own Personal Collection" who cares?
1 1

134 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

but strawberry milk so much superior... Change my mind. lol 

Boom

Blue_milk.png

Some of you are missing the point. If I see a bunch of raw books from someone’s personal collection I know that the less times they have traded hands then the less of a chance that any of those copies come back restored. 

I bought a few golden age books from someone’s attic find advertised as their grandfather’s personal collection.  With a few follow up questions I had confidence that the books were legit and most likely not restored.

Its the GA stuff that traded hands from 1975-1995 that seems to have the most “improvements”.   

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Some of you are missing the point. If I see a bunch of raw books from someone’s personal collection I know that the less times they have traded hands then the less of a chance that any of those copies come back restored. 

I bought a few golden age books from someone’s attic find advertised as their grandfather’s personal collection.  With a few follow up questions I had confidence that the books were legit and most likely not restored.

Its the GA stuff that traded hands from 1975-1995 that seems to have the most “improvements”.   

Once you buy a book, it becomes part of your 'personal collection'.  No guarantees that I can see.

Just now, kav said:

Once you buy a book, it becomes part of your 'personal collection'.  No guarantees that I can see.

To the layman, "Personal collection is the same as the terminology that we use of 'original owner'.  Can you guarantee that the original owner on a golden age book did not color touch the cover?  No.  But then again that generation of people were not collecting comics but saving them.  They didn't care.  It is the books that traded hands multiple times when restoration was not considered as degrading as it is now.  So... with that said... if I know that a box of books on eBay came from someone's grandpa then I have more faith that they are unrestored than those that have traded hands multiple times during 1975 through 1995. 

I was there as a teenage watching first hand as store owners take black sharpies down the spines of books, or trimming sides or things like that. 

1 minute ago, 707comics said:

I thought we were talking about OO stuff ....... :)

That's my take on it as well. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

To the layman, "Personal collection is the same as the terminology that we use of 'original owner'.  Can you guarantee that the original owner on a golden age book did not color touch the cover?  No.  But then again that generation of people were not collecting comics but saving them.  They didn't care.  It is the books that traded hands multiple times when restoration was not considered as degrading as it is now.  So... with that said... if I know that a box of books on eBay came from someone's grandpa then I have more faith that they are unrestored than those that have traded hands multiple times during 1975 through 1995. 

I was there as a teenage watching first hand as store owners take black sharpies down the spines of books, or trimming sides or things like that. 

Yep it was no big deal.  Just like pressing is now.  Later tho-

Just now, kav said:

Yep it was no big deal.  Just like pressing is now.  Later tho-

Here is why that will never happen... 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6811/cgc-5-millionth-collectible/

They have allowed books to be pressed for too long. 

There is no way to put the genie back in the bottle.  Every person here thinking that CGC is going to one day denote pressed books on their slabs is basically clinging to their wishful and delusional thinking and there is only two things they can do about it; 'nothing' and 'like it.'  

Aside from already grading 5,000,000 books there are other issues:

1. You will have a lack of faith in the company concerning all graded books since its inception to the day that they would adopt a policy of notating pressed books. 
  2. There are EXTREMELY skilled pressers like Joeypost and @RockMyAmadeus who can press books in a way that CGC cannot reliably determine whether or not they have been pressed.   If they are notating books from CCS that are pressed then they are in business against themselves and basically telling anyone and everyone to send their books to Joe and RMA with the instructions for them NOT to forward those books to CGC but to send them back to me to send to CGC.   CGC won't know a thing. 
  3. CGC is in the business of reliability and not comics.  If CGC says, "we cannot determine across the board when a book is pressed and when it is not" then that is reliable.  It is reliable uncertainty.  That continues faith in their business. Take that away and customers can much more easily see the loopholes that exist and will exploit them opening CGC up to unreliability. 

I am tired of the whole, 'when will cgc determine if a book was pressed and when it wasn't."  They cannot or at this point will not.  People need to get over themselves and move on. 

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Here is why that will never happen... 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6811/cgc-5-millionth-collectible/

They have allowed books to be pressed for too long. 

There is no way to put the genie back in the bottle.  Every person here thinking that CGC is going to one day denote pressed books on their slabs is basically clinging to their wishful and delusional thinking and there is only two things they can do about it; 'nothing' and 'like it.'  

Aside from already grading 5,000,000 books there are other issues:

1. You will have a lack of faith in the company concerning all graded books since its inception to the day that they would adopt a policy of notating pressed books. 
  2. There are EXTREMELY skilled pressers like Joeypost and @RockMyAmadeus who can press books in a way that CGC cannot reliably determine whether or not they have been pressed.   If they are notating books from CCS that are pressed then they are in business against themselves and basically telling anyone and everyone to send their books to Joe and RMA with the instructions for them NOT to forward those books to CGC but to send them back to me to send to CGC.   CGC won't know a thing. 
  3. CGC is in the business of reliability and not comics.  If CGC says, "we cannot determine across the board when a book is pressed and when it is not" then that is reliable.  It is reliable uncertainty.  That continues faith in their business. Take that away and customers can much more easily see the loopholes that exist and will exploit them opening CGC up to unreliability. 

I am tired of the whole, 'when will cgc determine if a book was pressed and when it wasn't."  They cannot or at this point will not.  People need to get over themselves and move on. 

Here's why it could happen-there are no long term studies of the final effects of pressing.  For all we know the books could begin to disintigrate in 40-50 years.  Also, future advances in technology might make pressing one day completely detectable.

1 minute ago, kav said:

Here's why it could happen-there are no long term studies of the final effects of pressing.  For all we know the books could begin to disintigrate in 40-50 years.  Also, future advances in technology might make pressing one day completely detectable.

And here is why you are wrong... who is cracking open a couple of million slabs?

Who is going to then determine if the book was not pressed, uncertain because it might have been pressed by Joey or RMA, or pressed? 

You will be dead in 40-50 years anyway.... :baiting: so... you won't care. 

1 hour ago, Krishosein said:

but strawberry milk so much superior... Change my mind. lol 

Image result for blood squirting lizard gif

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Who is going to then determine if the book was not pressed, uncertain because it might have been pressed by Joey or RMA, or pressed? 

This is not a sentence.

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Im busy making money right now. 

Now that's a sentence.

About the personal collection thing, I'm not sure I believe it on eBay every time, but I do like the context when I trust it, for reasons @Buzzetta supplied: provenance gives you some sense of the history and care of the book. Plus, it can be fun to know, if the backstory is interesting. I like when boardies mention it in their sales thread; I also like when boardies say "I just bought this collection from a retired tractor salesman from Pascagoula" or somesuch. 

I think both are interesting, non-essential points in a sales thread here when I read them. If a book is presented as having come from a boardie's personal collection I usually take it to mean that copy has been well cared-for and not on the market for some time.

28 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:
4 hours ago, bobotski said:

"Baby On Board"?

Something something Burt Ward

This thing writes itself!

Edited by Lazyboy