• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"From Own Personal Collection" who cares?
1 1

134 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
18 hours ago, comics4all said:

Also every woman looks the same, just different hair colors!

Maybe his drawings are close to home and it's a girl that broke his heart

cruddy artists always draw people that look somewhat like themselves.  

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Pedigrees require quality AND quantity :baiting:

I have a large volume of 9.8 posts-unfortunately they are stuff like woodgod and youngblood

On 7/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, Buzzetta said:

Here is why that will never happen... 

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/6811/cgc-5-millionth-collectible/

They have allowed books to be pressed for too long. 

There is no way to put the genie back in the bottle.  Every person here thinking that CGC is going to one day denote pressed books on their slabs is basically clinging to their wishful and delusional thinking and there is only two things they can do about it; 'nothing' and 'like it.'  

Aside from already grading 5,000,000 books there are other issues:

1. You will have a lack of faith in the company concerning all graded books since its inception to the day that they would adopt a policy of notating pressed books. 
  2. There are EXTREMELY skilled pressers like Joeypost and @RockMyAmadeus who can press books in a way that CGC cannot reliably determine whether or not they have been pressed.   If they are notating books from CCS that are pressed then they are in business against themselves and basically telling anyone and everyone to send their books to Joe and RMA with the instructions for them NOT to forward those books to CGC but to send them back to me to send to CGC.   CGC won't know a thing. 
  3. CGC is in the business of reliability and not comics.  If CGC says, "we cannot determine across the board when a book is pressed and when it is not" then that is reliable.  It is reliable uncertainty.  That continues faith in their business. Take that away and customers can much more easily see the loopholes that exist and will exploit them opening CGC up to unreliability. 

I am tired of the whole, 'when will cgc determine if a book was pressed and when it wasn't."  They cannot or at this point will not.  People need to get over themselves and move on. 

You make some excellent points here. I think the question should be more focused on how would it be possible that they add this type of information.

If they ever get to the level of checking for pressing OR simply have knowledge of pressing as it goes through their in house service--- they might decide at some point to start adding a phrase on the slab or in the notes regarding pressing status. Something like-- "No pressing detected/evident". And it would be one of those things that they could base on the actual grade evaluation date. I do not think they put any dates on the slabs that clearly show when the book is evaluated. You can figure it out but wouldn't it be easier to just provide a date somewhere? My point there is that like the "Old label" goodness- which are easily noticeable -- adding a date or defining when any new type of evaluation information (in this case, pressing) - would allow people to know a little more of what they are checking for.

But I do agree with you that this is unlikely short of a some massive change by collectors. The longer they do things a certain way, the less likely changes will be made. But a "graded on date" seems like a useful bit of information on the slab that would not cause too big of a problem.

phew-- long thread.

I don't feel "from my personal collection" tells me anything without some additional context. If it is something you bought off the news stand-- state it as OO. If it has been in your collection for decades-- say that along with the personal collection stuff.

I make an effort to give buyers a little bit of the history I've had with a book I am selling. I don't list/sell many books so I have the time to put in that level of effort.

Here's the thing about books that have been in collections for decades though-- that does not preclude them from having been restored at some point. I was unaware this was a problem in the 1970s when I was picking up books from flea markets out of some guys trunk. So I imagine that there are several restored books in my "personal collection". The only saving grace there is that even back then I was not a condition obsessed collector and was fine getting a mid grade book. I tend to doubt that those books were worth touching up. But I have not done any serious research--and even if I did, I am hardly and expert at noticing color touch etc.

Edited by 01TheDude

8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

semantics

Obviously you’re not a golfer.

8 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Tcyy.gif

Eight-year-olds, Dude.