• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fraudulent Seller Alert on Ebay
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So, I was just informed that a painting I bought on ebay that was claimed to be by David Finch is in fact not, and I found another thread on here detailing another painting that was claimed to be by Lee Bermejo which in fact was not.  I thought I should share the name of the seller who I bought this painting from so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.  Their user name is:

timlin_1808

So just watch out for this guy.

2 hours ago, wbss21 said:

Hey guys,

So, I was just informed that a painting I bought on ebay that was claimed to be by David Finch is in fact not, and I found another thread on here detailing another painting that was claimed to be by Lee Bermejo which in fact was not.  I thought I should share the name of the seller who I bought this painting from so that it doesn't happen to anyone else.  Their user name is:

timlin_1808

Thank you. I’m sorry this happened to you. I hope eBay will help you to make this right. Good luck

On 7/29/2019 at 5:33 PM, wbss21 said:

Hey guys,

timlin_1808

Harley Quinn by Adam Hughes ???

He also appears to have recently sold an "Adam Hughes" piece that doesn't resemble they typical AH! style.  How did you come to find out yours wasn't legit?  I saw you put it up for sale here recently.  The price made it seem too good to be true, but I didn't look into it because it was claimed by the time I saw it.  Just curious.  Thanks.

23 minutes ago, Turtle said:

He also appears to have recently sold an "Adam Hughes" piece that doesn't resemble they typical AH! style.  How did you come to find out yours wasn't legit?  I saw you put it up for sale here recently.  The price made it seem too good to be true, but I didn't look into it because it was claimed by the time I saw it.  Just curious.  Thanks.

grapeape jumping in. I saw the “Finch” piece and contacted David Finch directly with photos of the art and signature. David let me know that it was not his work. 

I informed the seller and a potential buyer that the piece was not legit. The fella here stuck with the piece is doing the right thing to warn everyone about the eBay guy. I’m always amazed when folks amass a good feedback and drop fakes on the market.

Edited by grapeape

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

That is disappointing that it looks like someone bought that bogus Adam Hughes. We had a thread about that a year ago and then again it was brought back up when talking about this same seller maybe a month or two ago. I guess he was finally able to rip someone off with it - even though people here reported it as fake.

9 hours ago, grapeape said:

grapeape jumping in. I saw the “Finch” piece and contacted David Finch directly with photos of the art and signature. David let me know that it was not his work. 

I informed the seller and a potential buyer that the piece was not legit. The fella here stuck with the piece is doing the right thing to warn everyone about the eBay guy. I’m always amazed when folks amass a good feedback and drop fakes on the market.

Thanks for the information!

I don't know if amassing good feedback was that tough in this case.  He's got 31 feedbacks and most of his sold items finished at 99 cents.  He probably could have knocked that out in a week.

Big thanks for letting us know about this seller!  I am wondering what else you have done about this matter. If the art wasn't created by the artist Finch and it was sold as an original by the Finch art isn't this art fraud? Isn't Art Fraud a crime, even Art fraud sold on eBay and Mail by Fedex or USPS. I am not a lawyer so if my question is stupid or simple I am sorry, but why have you not pressed charges? After going to eBay and here, have you call the FBI art fraud department? It might take awhile but this is a traditional way of handling an Art crime like this, they will also look at autograph fraud as well. They have more tools to track the "art" to the original artist and stopping this from happing again. If the eBay seller is the artist or just selling fraud art the job will be easy for them. The seller might be "caught" just flipping a piece that he bought from someone else and the professional art fraud department of the FBI will follow this too. Again I am not a Lawyer or FBI agent, but I am interested in stopping this stuff from happing.

Well I opened a case with paypal, and I can't believe it, but paypal ruled in this seller's favor and closed my claim.  I don't know what else to do to get my money back.  I have no idea how paypal even made the determination that they did, as they didn't give me any reason for it.  Needless to say I'm more than angry about this, and upset.  I paid $800 for it, and now I'm $800 in the hole with no way to get my money back.

32 minutes ago, wbss21 said:

Well I opened a case with paypal, and I can't believe it, but paypal ruled in this seller's favor and closed my claim.  I don't know what else to do to get my money back.  I have no idea how paypal even made the determination that they did, as they didn't give me any reason for it.  Needless to say I'm more than angry about this, and upset.  I paid $800 for it, and now I'm $800 in the hole with no way to get my money back.

Can you take it up with ebay too????? should try if you haven't. 

also that's really BS on paypals part. Really sucks man. 

6 minutes ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

Can you take it up with ebay too????? should try if you haven't. 

also that's really BS on paypals part. Really sucks man. 

Well I first tried asking for a refund from the seller through paypal, and the guy refused my request and ebay just accepted it.  I'm not sure how I could go about getting a refund from ebay.  If anyone does know how I might start that process, I'd appreciate the help.

4 minutes ago, wbss21 said:

Well I first tried asking for a refund from the seller through paypal, and the guy refused my request and ebay just accepted it.  I'm not sure how I could go about getting a refund from ebay.  If anyone does know how I might start that process, I'd appreciate the help.

found this link on "the google" i hope it's helpful. there appears to be a few channels within ebay

https://www.wikihow.com/Report-Fraud-on-eBay

Just now, The Cimmerians Purse said:

found this link on "the google" i hope it's helpful. there appears to be a few channels within ebay

https://www.wikihow.com/Report-Fraud-on-eBay

it looks like number 4 is most appropriate "opening a case at ebay's resolution center"

because it's already a closed transaction. If grapeape shares the correspondence i'm sure that's the smoking gun you need. if you guys are talkign about the same piece, and i think you are. 

Yeah, I think if I can get the actual correspondence from David Finch to show to ebay, they may help me out.  Thanks Cimmerians!  

Yeah, I think if I can get the actual correspondence from David Finch to show to ebay, they may help me out.  Thanks Cimmerians!  

Hey wbss21 PM me and included your actual email and I’ll forward you the correspondence email from David Finch if that will help you.

best grapeape 

7 hours ago, wbss21 said:

Try calling both ebay and PP and see what documentation they need for an appeal.