• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd Run Cockrum X-Men
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I don't keep up with everything, so I'm looking for some perspective on what I though was an unusually higher eBay result.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-155-Pg-4-Original-Artwork-signed-by-Claremont-Cockrum-Wiacek-/223595954221?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I'm seeing this as a $2500-$3k piece. Which is not what I'd pay even. Clearly I don't have that right since it went for $6400. Is claws out what pushed this up? Or one guy trying to put the book back together? Or..?

And since the image will drop off eBay eventually, here's what I'm talking about:

image.png.ec961586592e73f4da86a3d10bc0d077.png

While we're at it, anybody want to handicap where the market for Cockrum X-Men 145-164 is overall? I'm out of touch.

As usual, either I'm suddenly a bazillionaire or (much more likely) I'm getting it wrong. Again lol

Here’s a page from 154 that sold a few years ago for $4600. No wolverine and claws etc. based on that I think this page went right on par.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-cockrum-bob-wiacek-and-joe-rubinstein-x-men-154-page-13-original-art-marvel-1982-/a/7163-93076.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by AnkurJ

Thanks AnkurJ. Your HA example has action at least. I found my eBay example to be a really dead page except for 'claws out' and whole team first panel at the bottom. But that's me struggling to see the good in it, then I get to the price and  I'm still :insane:

Has the whole market moved up to this level, better pages (? dubious even there as to 'better' ?) $6k+ now? Or is this eBay example something of an outlier?

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

...but the group team shot sure didn't hurt the valuation on this one, as much as or more so than the popping claws tax.

But you'd agree it's really static, no? The market wants what the market wants, I'm just trying to square that with what I want and pay for. As usual, apparently the two are at odds.

Static yes, but do you see modern comic book covers these days?  Very static and pin up centric.  And they go for....a lot.  I don't think static is necessarily a price deterrent.  Either way, you're pretty consistent that you are just no longer a buyer of this stuff barring some sort of massive price correction, so this is all just academic, yes?

To broaden the conversation a bit, we also have these similar period examples from eBay in the last month:

image.png.721c001769f93887699465437749b7da.png

$1625 and

image.png.b61c6cad65c70f6615fabdc29662a1cf.png

$2600.

FWIW I can't remember the last time three 2nd run pieces hit eBay within a month or so but it's been...like...a decade or two lol

Anyway, the first example is about right (imo) as it's really a Starjammers page not X-Men (except for that tiny inset) and the second is from the very popular Brood saga but it's just Scott and Storm (could be worse of course!), no Brood, no action, no claws, etc etc. $2600 is in line with my thinking. It's that $6400 that I continue to have trouble with. What do others think of these two examples/results?

5 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Either way, you're pretty consistent that you are just no longer a buyer of this stuff barring some sort of massive price correction, so this is all just academic, yes? 

No...considering when to be a seller. $6400 definitely has my attention if it's 'the market' versus 'outlier' (which I wouldn't be able to replicate for myself).

24 minutes ago, vodou said:

To broaden the conversation a bit, we also have these similar period examples from eBay in the last month:

image.png.721c001769f93887699465437749b7da.png

$1625 and

image.png.b61c6cad65c70f6615fabdc29662a1cf.png

$2600.

FWIW I can't remember the last time three 2nd run pieces hit eBay within a month or so but it's been...like...a decade or two lol

Anyway, the first example is about right (imo) as it's really a Starjammers page not X-Men (except for that tiny inset) and the second is from the very popular Brood saga but it's just Scott and Storm (could be worse of course!), no Brood, no action, no claws, etc etc. $2600 is in line with my thinking. It's that $6400 that I continue to have trouble with. What do others think of these two examples/results?

I bought the upper page of the two you showed from the same seller who was offering the most recent page. I was the first “loser” of this most recent page with a bid of 6300. I thought it would have been neat to keep the 2 pages together and I liked the story of him having the pages signed in 1982 at a con. So I put more of a premium on this piece.  I’m not sure the market is at 6k a page for the second run material based on CAF market data but obviously some one wanted it more then myself. Honestly I would have bid higher but I thought I was in a safe zone with my bid 

Very interesting comment MyThreeSons, thank you. Surely things slip past me, but I do pay attention and don't believe I've ever seen any second run panel pages cross $5k except for that 153 page from Kitty's Fairy Tale...the first I've seen on eBay since the early oughts (rare as heck, and the market responded correctly). They tend to run the range of $1500-$4500 endlessly, so $6k+ for 'not a splash' was a surprise. That 1982 provenance from the original owner caught my eye too, definitely a nice extra.

I actually was in the running on this for a while. I’d have gladly paid 5k for this page.

It’s got a team shot with professor x, wolverine claws out a plenty, very well drawn, great secondary characters. 

The other two pages shown aren’t even close to the same level.

anyone have a page of this quality with similar characteristics from Cockrum, especially fully signed outside of art? If so hit me up I’m a buyer around 5.

4 hours ago, vodou said:

No...considering when to be a seller. $6400 definitely has my attention if it's 'the market' versus 'outlier' (which I wouldn't be able to replicate for myself).

OH yeah.  That DOES put a different perspective on the interest level.  My default assumption is that people here are just potential buyers. Carry on!

Edited by stinkininkin

If 'we' are still in the part of the story where 'realized' prices are rising higher & faster beyond our 'flawed' valuations, then you would do well to HOLD your 'comparable' pages.

Full disclosure, I 'aggressively' bid on all three of these pages. [As a side note, both seller's shipping costs were reasonable]

I would not be surprised to see one or more offered at a different auction venue within the next year.

20190730_000809.png

20190730_000751.png

20190730_000727.png

3 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

If 'we' are still in the part of the story where 'realized' prices are rising higher & faster beyond our 'flawed' valuations, then you would do well to HOLD your 'comparable' pages.

I hears ya. Where we 'are" in the story is what I'm still (and always) trying to figure. No different than anyone else I guess, I know I can't take it with me but do love the material and don't want to sell prematurely for grimy ol' greenbacks that bring me no joy to flip through ;)

5 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

I would not be surprised to see one or more offered at a different auction venue within the next year.

Hmm. Interesting. The low fruit I wouldn't be surprised, but $2600 at CLink wouldn't probably make more than $3k, not a flip (imo) worth bothering with. (The ways to 'make' $400 nearly risk-free which $2600 on the table is not are nigh endless!) Maybe HA gets you $4200 final but that's HA's pull not the consignor actual net in-hand (likely hammer less 10% or more, and no juice participation), again...not anything to write home about. But I could be wrong! Certainly I was on $6400, as I can't even see zhamlau's $5kish and I know he's buying for eventual resale too, so that's not fmv. My valuations must be flawed :)

10 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

your 'comparable' pages. 

Oh...mine are better too ;) and if 6400 was the new market for 'nice' but not A+++ then I'd be asking (crazy at it sounds) $8500 per. And that's where I can't get by myself, for a market that's mostly showing me $5k as an unbreakable ceiling. I'm happy to wait another five years though to see how this thing fleshes out...which is exactly what I thought five years ago, ten years ago, and even fifteen years ago.

30 minutes ago, vodou said:

Oh...mine are better too ;) and if 6400 was the new market for 'nice' but not A+++ then I'd be asking (crazy at it sounds) $8500 per. And that's where I can't get by myself, for a market that's mostly showing me $5k as an unbreakable ceiling. I'm happy to wait another five years though to see how this thing fleshes out...which is exactly what I thought five years ago, ten years ago, and even fifteen years ago.

I think you're rich.  Until the post-apocalyptic future, right? Hehe lol

I think the 6400 page is better than people are giving it credit for.

An A+++ page sold a few years back on ComicConnect for $13k

Also there was this one earlier this year X-Men 156  that sold for 5600

Edited by J.Sid

J.Sid I don't remember those A+++ examples, they are panel pages?

I'm okay being wrong on the 6400, I prefer great action with only a few characters over whole team there standing around talking lol

That's me. What the market wants is often different and that's what I'm trying to figure out, because I am not getting the answer talking only to myself.

So: not outlier but poor quality analysis on my part, that 6400 result?

Maybe my preference comes from a time when these were so cheap ($150-350 per) that you could start a collection with the reasonable anticipation of ultimately having many examples, not just one. 6400 may force some hands to have to pick 'just one' that ticks the most boxes. Maybe?