• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2nd Run Cockrum X-Men
2 2

38 posts in this topic

I was ready to put an $8k bid on it until I found out a friend of mine wanted it (he was the winner, too), so I didn’t even bid. The prices on these pages are going to continue to rise higher and higher as more collectors deal with the fact that first run Cockrum and Byrne UXM are now almost unaffordable. Plus, look at the rising prices of 1980s art - if we don’t buy it now at these prices, it may be the next art that’s out of reach.

10 minutes ago, Michael Browning said:

I was ready to put an $8k bid on it until I found out a friend of mine wanted it (he was the winner, too), so I didn’t even bid. The prices on these pages are going to continue to rise higher and higher as more collectors deal with the fact that first run Cockrum and Byrne UXM are now almost unaffordable. Plus, look at the rising prices of 1980s art - if we don’t buy it now at these prices, it may be the next art that’s out of reach.

This tracks for me, the entire post, I think the bashing 1st run to 2nd run has been so constant...I've assumed the numbers would never get truly respectable. 6400 to me changes that, hence my surprise!

2nd run was where I stepped onto X-Men, so for me it was a no-brainer to snap up every one I could back in the day. That hit nostalgia squarely AND seemed like a deal against 1st run popularity and prices, even way back. To me, this was always very similar to how when Mike Burkey started chasing ASM art, Ditko was King and Romita was toss off. Mike couldn't swing Ditko, so he went all-in for Romita, the ultimate value play, and won big. (Not that Ditko ASM collectors ever did poorly either!) Doing so he was told some version of his being foolish, etc. I've been hearing that for twenty years re: 2nd run vs 1st or Byrne, up to and as recently as the last few months right here. I'm not seeing, never have, but the prices were not moving to support that so...different day now (or recently, let's say). Cool.

I read some of the Byrne UXM run as my dad bought whatever was on the spinner rack at the time, so I got issues 112, 119 and 133 - and that was it. I probably could afford a page from one of those, but I don’t want to spend that kind of cash on a page and I have accepted that those have passed me by.

But, those 2nd run Cockrums and Paul Smiths are still within range for me and I’m content with buying those.

I realize all too well that stuff I didn’t buy a few years ago is now 3x what I would have paid then. I passed up a Cockrum 2nd run splash about a decade ago for $1500 and now it’d be 10x that, I’m sure.

I have sunk higher amounts than I want to into pieces over the last couple of years because there’s no way I’m going to be able to afford them in two or three years down the line.

43 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Also there was this one earlier this year X-Men 156  that sold for 5600

This page had an interesting path to market...

Approximately 2014/2015, the 'third' owner of this page, shopped it around & had posted it on eBay. It ended up selling "off" of eBay for ~$2k to Paul Handler(?). I was a day late & a dollar short on the solicitation from the seller. Paul later posted it for sale on eBay/CAF. There were no takers. After sometime, CLink recieved the consignment, & the rest is History...

The first owner, 'Wayne', purchased the page, along with so many others in his collection, directly from their creators. Hence the dedication from Dave Cockrum. The story goes that Wayne had a comic book shop [somewhere on the south-eastern seaboard?] & would bring artists in for signings.

20190730_111240.jpg

2 minutes ago, First Upgrade said:

The first owner, 'Wayne'

Got to be Wayne O. (out of respect for privacy) that we all know from back in the day. I've never run into another Wayne in this hobby at all and certainly no others that were into 80s Marvel/X-Men. Didn't know about the shop angle though. Anyway, that's a nice one, thanks for the image and story. $2k was very good, I'd peg this at $4-4500, but not 5k+ then or now. But only because of that ceiling that I've observed. Obviously that's been broken several times by panel pages and I'll adjust. Good news for me though, overall, as it was for Mike B approximately 1998 and onward :)

Uh huh. I do remember that image but not the final number. I must have mentally tossed it as a massive outlier.

Great trophy, basically a splash that beats most of the actual 2nd run splashes! 2/3 cover money is correct.

13 minutes ago, vodou said:

Got to be Wayne O. (out of respect for privacy) that we all know from back in the day. I've never run into another Wayne in this hobby at all and certainly no others that were into 80s Marvel/X-Men. Didn't know about the shop angle though. Anyway, that's a nice one, thanks for the image and story. $2k was very good, I'd peg this at $4-4500, but not 5k+ then or now. But only because of that ceiling that I've observed. Obviously that's been broken several times by panel pages and I'll adjust. Good news for me though, overall, as it was for Mike B approximately 1998 and onward :)

That Wayne is a friend of mine and lives close by. He owned a coal mine (or was in the coal business), but I know that we used the same comic shop for more than 20 years and I never knew of him owning one. Maybe Lewis Wayne?

17 hours ago, AnkurJ said:

Here’s a page from 154 that sold a few years ago for $4600. No wolverine and claws etc. based on that I think this page went right on par.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/dave-cockrum-bob-wiacek-and-joe-rubinstein-x-men-154-page-13-original-art-marvel-1982-/a/7163-93076.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

And in the "offers" section on that one, it appears as though he's received a couple of $6k+ offers on it last year.

4 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

If 'we' are still in the part of the story where 'realized' prices are rising higher & faster beyond our 'flawed' valuations, then you would do well to HOLD your 'comparable' pages.

Full disclosure, I 'aggressively' bid on all three of these pages. [As a side note, both seller's shipping costs were reasonable]

I would not be surprised to see one or more offered at a different auction venue within the next year.

20190730_000809.png

20190730_000751.png

20190730_000727.png

I’m saving funds for something else, but I would have been all over the 154 page for up to $2400-ish otherwise. I know theres no X-Men, but I was really into the x-men in space storyline from that 160’s era (sidenote -I own a PS X-Men in space page :bigsmile:)

15 minutes ago, Hekla said:

I’m saving funds for something else, but I would have been all over the 154 page for up to $2400-ish otherwise. I know theres no X-Men, but I was really into the x-men in space storyline from that 160’s era (sidenote -I own a PS X-Men in space page :bigsmile:)

It's Corsair all day long, but...that's the issue he reveals himself to Scott as his father. That's nuanced markup for sure but does make that page different than just another Corsair/Starjammers page in an X-Men issue. IMO. (but I personally wouldn't pay up for it on that basis either!)

So we have evolved from “this page price is nuts” to “I want even more than that for mine now” and general agreement this was a fair price.

This might be a collapsing market, death and gloom around the corner as the bottom falls out and all that...but damn no one seems to be treating their art like they better flush it anytime soon. 

9 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

So we have evolved from “this page price is nuts” to “I want even more than that for mine now” and general agreement this was a fair price.

I dunno you gotta move with the times, no? I'm the only one that wasn't seeing that price as proper.

$6400 is nuts. I'd never pay it. (It's really hard to when you've bought some of the best pages of the era for $150).

11 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

but damn no one seems to be treating their art like they better flush it anytime soon. 

The dilemma of only buying what you love...very hard to sell. Unless you love money more, which is generally the dealer's mantra not the collector's lol

Anyway, that's why I brought this up...I don't assume my answer is the only answer or the right answer.

1 hour ago, vodou said:

I dunno you gotta move with the times, no? I'm the only one that wasn't seeing that price as proper.

$6400 is nuts. I'd never pay it. (It's really hard to when you've bought some of the best pages of the era for $150).

The dilemma of only buying what you love...very hard to sell. Unless you love money more, which is generally the dealer's mantra not the collector's lol

Anyway, that's why I brought this up...I don't assume my answer is the only answer or the right answer.

It is a funny market.....I have paid $5 apiece for comic art that I can't even get rid of.  But, paid $10 apiece for covers that I later got 2 or 3 thousand dollars each for, and which are still climbing.  I saved a few, thank goodness.  David

13 hours ago, Michael Browning said:

That Wayne is a friend of mine and lives close by. He owned a coal mine (or was in the coal business), but I know that we used the same comic shop for more than 20 years and I never knew of him owning one. Maybe Lewis Wayne?

This would have been in Wayne O's wheelhouse back in the day for sure. LW is JH.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:05 AM, vodou said:

This tracks for me, the entire post, I think the bashing 1st run to 2nd run has been so constant...I've assumed the numbers would never get truly respectable. 6400 to me changes that, hence my surprise!

2nd run was where I stepped onto X-Men, so for me it was a no-brainer to snap up every one I could back in the day. That hit nostalgia squarely AND seemed like a deal against 1st run popularity and prices, even way back. To me, this was always very similar to how when Mike Burkey started chasing ASM art, Ditko was King and Romita was toss off. Mike couldn't swing Ditko, so he went all-in for Romita, the ultimate value play, and won big. (Not that Ditko ASM collectors ever did poorly either!) Doing so he was told some version of his being foolish, etc. I've been hearing that for twenty years re: 2nd run vs 1st or Byrne, up to and as recently as the last few months right here. I'm not seeing, never have, but the prices were not moving to support that so...different day now (or recently, let's say). Cool.

I've heard that foolish thing from other collectors too but maybe its because they are only looking at current pricing for some art and not anticipating interest for pieces that previously weren't very popular. Live and learn