• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is this printing defect called?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

What is this printing defect (or defects) called? I posted some pictures, hoping they are clear. The staples are in the back of the book, not on the spine. And the spine is folded so that part of the cover is on the back of the book.

This comic looks like an 8-8.5.  I'm guessing it received a 6.0 because of the mentioned defects.

20190730_115155.jpg

20190730_115223.jpg

20190730_115213.jpg

Edited by captain_em

55 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

That was the method of stapling in the Silver Age, if I'm not mistaken.

The spine position is what is called a "wrap". Many would consider this a "miswrap".

52 minutes ago, Jeffro™ said:

It's a miswrap and those staples are not where they're supposed to be. 

5 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

Here's another TOS #48 with staples inserted from the front cover, but without the miswrap.

Thanks for replying. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's two separate defects- 1) Staples in the wrong place, and 2) A misrap.

Any idea how much these defects affect a grade? Which one is considered more severe? 

Just now, captain_em said:

Thanks for replying. So if I'm understanding correctly, it's two separate defects- 1) Staples in the wrong place, and 2) A misrap.

Any idea how much these defects affect a grade? Which one is considered more severe? 

I don't think that either should impact the grade other than preventing it from being Mint or Gem Mint.

The miswrap is just status quo for the 60's. I'm not 100% sure about the stapling, though.

27 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Not likely. CGC doesn't downgrade for miswraps except maybe for 9.9s and 10s and the placement of the staples is a minimal hit, if anything.

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Neither should ding the grade (except in the ubergrades).  Very, very common on SA Marvels.  

4 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I don't think that either should impact the grade other than preventing it from being Mint or Gem Mint.

The miswrap is just status quo for the 60's. I'm not 100% sure about the stapling, though.

Thanks for your replies.

Hmm.....I'm having trouble figuring out why this got a 6.0. Cover looks better than several of my other graded SA that received 8.0 and higher. No grader notes on front cover.  Back cover- light crease right top of back cover multiple creases left top of back cover. But I've had those same grader notes on other SA comics that have graded higher. What am I missing? 

2 minutes ago, captain_em said:

Thanks for your replies.

Hmm.....I'm having trouble figuring out why this got a 6.0. Cover looks better than several of my other graded SA that received 8.0 and higher. No grader notes on front cover.  Back cover- light crease right top of back cover multiple creases left top of back cover. But I've had those same grader notes on other SA comics that have graded higher. What am I missing? 

I haven’t dug into the scans you provided, but I see spine wear and can see some issues at the bottom staple.  Those things are knocking you down into the low 8.0 range at the absolute best.  Corners soft/rounded?  That’s another .5/1.0 off.  Down to 7.0 if everything else is perfect. 

6.0 is probably the right grade if you dissect it (even if it looks like a VF).  When was the book submitted?  There was a time when they just clobbered the mid-grade range.

17 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I haven’t dug into the scans you provided, but I see spine wear and can see some issues at the bottom staple.  Those things are knocking you down into the low 8.0 range at the absolute best.  Corners soft/rounded?  That’s another .5/1.0 off.  Down to 7.0 if everything else is perfect. 

6.0 is probably the right grade if you dissect it (even if it looks like a VF).  When was the book submitted?  There was a time when they just clobbered the mid-grade range.

Yeah, I'm probably missing something simple. Thanks.

It’s a great looking book.  Don’t get me wrong.  It’s a “6” that looks like an “8”.

Super bright colors. 

I know I’d pick that book over a bunch of 7’s.  

If I were in charge, I’d place a higher “value” on eye appeal.

you could post a quality image of the front and back of your book in the "please grade my" section of the boards and get some grades from many board members.

CGC does not downgrade for mis-wraps

There could be many factors that affect the grade the book received, if it truly looks as good as you say then it is likely some kind of staining (and not necessarily the distributor spray shown )

Edited by Artboy99