• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

The story is very different depending on which sold first...

I don’t think that matters in the slightest. The missed CT is what is head-scratching.  

I know CBCS doesn’t have the greatest rep here on the boards, but I just have a really hard time believing they would’ve missed the CT in the “checkerboard” above the second “E” in Detective, or the CT just under Batgirls left foot.  

Blowing the scan up, it looks like there may be some more black CT in the checkerboard (not 100% conclusive).

Something is off/fishy here.  

7 minutes ago, buttock said:

I've seen a blatantly trimmed GA book in a CBCS universal holder.  I notified Steve with no response.  The top of that Detective sure looks trimmed to me.  

I’ll ask him about it as well.  See my post above re: CT.

They shouldn’t miss a trim, but that has happened.  A CT (and a tear seal) are rookie calls with no acceptable excuse.

Edited by chrisco37

9 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I know CBCS doesn’t have the greatest rep here on the boards, but I just have a really hard time believing they would’ve missed the CT in the “checkerboard” above the second “E” in Detective,

Why would you black out what should be a white square on the checkerboard though? That doesn't make any sense, as your eye is immediately drawn to it. What am I missing? 

1364403961_2019-07-3021_54_55.jpg.d93b359fd5b2fa06287266bae2ba8489.jpg

Edited by Get Marwood & I
Added pic

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Why would you black out what should be a white square on the checkerboard though? That doesn't make any sense, as your eye is immediately drawn to it. What am I missing? 

1364403961_2019-07-3021_54_55.jpg.d93b359fd5b2fa06287266bae2ba8489.jpg

I have no idea.  Totally botched attempt there.  That’s the “sore thumb” I was referring to earlier.  Impossible to miss.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

I have no idea.  Totally botched attempt there.  That’s the “sore thumb” I was referring to earlier.  Impossible to miss.

Not a printing error is it? Worst CT I've ever seen otherwise. 

even if it's not CT - which i doubt because of how bad it looks - how is it not factoring into the grade?  odd book

14 minutes ago, Sal said:

even if it's not CT - which i doubt because of how bad it looks - how is it not factoring into the grade?  odd book

Nah, dude.  It’s CT.  Search images for the book.  You don’t see it.  My copy certainly doesn’t have it.

46 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I don’t think that matters in the slightest. The missed CT is what is head-scratching.  

I know CBCS doesn’t have the greatest rep here on the boards, but I just have a really hard time believing they would’ve missed the CT in the “checkerboard” above the second “E” in Detective, or the CT just under Batgirls left foot.  

Blowing the scan up, it looks like there may be some more black CT in the checkerboard (not 100% conclusive).

Something is off/fishy here.  

Yes, CBCS missing CT is the same  but if the Restored copy sold first, the buyer really made a ton of money.  If the the universal sold first, then that buyer lost a lot of money. 

Outside of the CBCS ineptness, it is sad that this book will be most likely sold again and continue to circulate - just like passing counterfeit money.  If the owner just happens to see this thread or discovers he has stinker, up it goes to be bought by another unsuspecting buyer.  

At least the sale doesn't go into GPA.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There has to be a reasonable explanation.....:busy:

I hope there is some sort of explanation, because it doesn’t make any sense on the surface.  Stevie Wonder couldn’t miss the CT.

8 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

I hope there is some sort of explanation, because it doesn’t make any sense on the surface.  Stevie Wonder couldn’t miss the CT.

Could it be that it’s not considered CT because it doesn’t improve the grade?

I have a hard time keeping up with what is and what isn’t Resto anymore....

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

The CGC version was graded: 

Grade Date:

04/16/2019

The Voldy version has a serial number of 18-2124777-001

Can we assume the leading "18" means it was graded in 2018?  I really don't follow Voldy or their number scheme. 

1 minute ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The CGC version was graded: 

Grade Date:

04/16/2019

The Voldy version has a serial number of 18-2124777-001

Can we assume the leading "18" means it was graded in 2018?  I really don't follow Voldy or their number scheme. 

Why are they referred to Voldy?