• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective Comics 359
2 2

349 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Aaaaaand posted... let's see what happens. 

reply posted!

51 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Things don't always work out that way... I would ask this question on the CBCS boards and especially on the CBCS FB groups.... They will go berserk. 

Whoever should undertake such a mission should do the boards a solid and end their post with, "You want to hear a good joke? Nobody speak, nobody get choked." 

CBCS created a monster when they launched their forum, and now complains about the monster they created. By silencing dissenting voices, they only emboldened the screeching lunatics, making the situation much worse. They made their bed, and allowed the children to wet in it...they deserve what they get. You want to silence criticism? You will end up in an echo chamber, where the screechiest partisans rule, and there is no discourse of any kind.

48 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
49 minutes ago, kav said:

I would post it but they would ban me most likely.

I will ask it on the CBCS boards... If they ban me so what... 

They would narrow the population down to 2 board members !? :whatthe:

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I solved it for ya.... 

Someone took a bath in this book.

The CBCS copy was graded first and was sold on 8/29/2018 for $10,405 LINK: http://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1268769

The CGC copy was graded on 4/16/2019 and was later sold on ComicLink at an unknown date for $869

Someone got screwed to the tune of over $9,500

Awesome !  :eyeroll:

Yet another reason to not even consider CBCS. F joke.

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Awesome !  :eyeroll:

Yet another reason to not even consider CBCS. F joke.

This story could shake the confidence big time in collectors.  "yeah that $10,000 book might actually be a $900 book-"

5 minutes ago, kav said:

This story could shake the confidence big time in collectors.  "yeah that $10,000 book might actually be a $900 book-"

Curiously enough there is a CBCS book I have looked over many times just can't bring myself to buy it.

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Curiously enough there is a CBCS book I have looked over many times just can't bring myself to buy it.

:tink:

the black on the top might be CT if they were touching up something black with black ink.

the subjectivity of the whole thing is: was someone trying to improve the look of the book with ink?

but colouring a white square black is just dumb.... not CT, IMO

Just now, Michelangelo said:

the black on the top might be CT if they were touching up something black with black ink.

the subjectivity of the whole thing is: was someone trying to improve the look of the book with ink?

I agree with you.  If that is what the CT is then that is a shortcoming on CGC's part.  However... the trimming... ohhhhh the trimming. 

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:
19 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I agree with you.  If that is what the CT is then that is a shortcoming on CGC's part.  However... the trimming... ohhhhh the trimming. 

Boys it's been established the ink smear is distributor pen mark.

I like CGC and CBCS, there's not usually issues like this to my knowledge. There were a lot of trimmed books missed by CGC over the years, JE and some other antique dealer form the UK, so it can be hard to tell in some cases, especially, as in these two cases when the person is so intent on trying to con the system.

Has it ever happened that a book is designated trimmed, when in fact it's not been trimmed?

3 hours ago, herc2000 said:

I like CGC and CBCS, there's not usually issues like this to my knowledge. There were a lot of trimmed books missed by CGC over the years, JE and some other antique dealer form the UK, so it can be hard to tell in some cases, especially, as in these two cases when the person is so intent on trying to con the system.

Has it ever happened that a book is designated trimmed, when in fact it's not been trimmed?

Too many horror stories for me to considering 'investing' my hard-earned money into Voldemort cases and opinions. I want peace of mind when I make a big purchase - not voices in the back of my head wondering what I actually have in that plastic case.

I "buy the book and not the label" when it comes to condition, but I buy the label for the professional opinion on authenticity and conservation/restoration. Voldemort just doesn't live up to "professional" standards for me.

Considering the answer to your question; Will we ever know? Someone could claim something to be, "from my personal collection that I bought off the rack and submitted to CGC myself", but can we trust what they say...?

16 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Too many horror stories for me to considering 'investing' my hard-earned money into Voldemort cases and opinions. I want peace of mind when I make a big purchase - not voices in the back of my head wondering what I actually have in that plastic case.

I "buy the book and not the label" when it comes to condition, but I buy the label for the professional opinion on authenticity and conservation/restoration. Voldemort just doesn't live up to "professional" standards for me.

(thumbsu