• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2020 ( CalComicCon )
8 8

165 posts in this topic

Another great show. The selection was very good again. The room had some dark spots in it but I think Terry was aware and was actively working on it during the show. I saw the guys with the ladder adjusting the track lighting. I didn't think of the mall parking for free and used the hotel parking:boo:  for $20.00. Picked up some filler books, a few hard to find low print run spawns, and a cool pre code atlas from the Bunkies.  My kid got what he was looking for also a Nice Iron man 128 from A-1 comics and a selfie with John Dolmayan. He's 13 and getting into music and this was the first time he had the confidence to ask a stranger for a picture and John was so nice about it.

Always a great event and I thought this year's location was a significant upgrade from the community center in years past! Doesn't hurt it's a shorter drive out of San Diego. 

A lot more space and much easier to shop the room. I agree with previous posts about the lighting and that was my only downside to the event. It was difficult inspecting books at certain booths. My fiancée had to hold up the flashlight on a phone for us to inspect the book adequately. 

I always enjoy being able to talk with dealers and collectors in person. 

Picked up a wide range of books on my want list such as an X-Men 9 from Bob(Robot Man) and also a bunch of high grade run books out of the bronze age for my Batman run. 

Edited by Asianassassincomics
mis-spelling

While I did not get to shop at the Comic Swap or my show as I was too busy trying to run it, I was able to add two comics to my collection just by going to the Men's Room and seeing people swapping in the lobby hall.

Prize_Comics_24.thumb.jpg.32982ed357de07a813215bf37d0d1ec7.jpg  

one more to my run of Prize comics.

SuperSnipeV1_8.thumb.jpg.a2537864fc96e2a98b75ce0506eaa486.jpg

I also got an upgrade, I had one with the centerfold out!

What a great show it must have been if I can get two comics from my want list just by walking to the Men's room.  Terry O.

the easy way to get Steranko signatures. ( with no line )

Just put on a show.

Spend a couple of months of 12 hour days planning and organizing it.

Invite Great guests and give them whatever they ask for to be there.

Have a artist thank you dinner after the event and then ask for the signatures one on one.

Steranko_Errie.thumb.jpg.8cbb0cbb0aa479ee2a4cc67aba4596bd.jpg Steranko_Captain_America.thumb.jpg.4cda4bf44522913914b9afbd39455d53.jpg

I also got two posters and an Nick Fury #1 signed for my wall and collection. Terry O.

3 hours ago, Asianassassincomics said:

Always a great event and I thought this year's location was a significant upgrade from the community center in years past! Doesn't hurt it's a shorter drive out of San Diego. 

A lot more space and much easier to shop the room. I agree with previous posts about the lighting and that was my only downside to the event. It was difficult inspecting books at certain booths. My fiancée had to hold up the flashlight on a phone for us to inspect the book adequately. 

I always enjoy being able to talk with dealers and collectors in person. 

Picked up a wide range of books on my want list such as an X-Men 9 from Bob(Robot Man) and also a bunch of high grade run books out of the bronze age for my Batman run. 

Great to meet you Mr Assassin! Thanks for both of your purchases. Glad that X-men #9 went to a boardie!

I think the dim lighting probably worked to MY advantage...:roflmao:

C49FD9AA-8BC7-420A-A0D8-0B2D695E3CE8.jpeg

2 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

While I did not get to shop at the Comic Swap or my show as I was too busy trying to run it, I was able to add two comics to my collection just by going to the Men's Room and seeing people swapping in the lobby hall.

Prize_Comics_24.thumb.jpg.32982ed357de07a813215bf37d0d1ec7.jpg  

one more to my run of Prize comics.

SuperSnipeV1_8.thumb.jpg.a2537864fc96e2a98b75ce0506eaa486.jpg

I also got an upgrade, I had one with the centerfold out!

What a great show it must have been if I can get two comics from my want list just by walking to the Men's room.  Terry O.

Two beauties Terry, you know how to pick ‘em. I hope you washed your hands first...:insane:

I know what you mean about shopping. With no help, it was killing me to stay in my booth. I got a few books though including one I was really looking for. 

Take a look at this photo. He said he was too tired to smile and I believe it. Running a show is just too much for me at my age. Just setting up was a huge task. I was beat yesterday.

Was a great show. Just a little bigger but still retained that fun, old time atmosphere that you always wanted to be. Already looking to next year!

ADF82E5C-B8F7-4D95-8126-0EB69E247755.jpeg

2 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

the easy way to get Steranko signatures. ( with no line )

Just put on a show.

Spend a couple of months of 12 hour days planning and organizing it.

Invite Great guests and give them whatever they ask for to be there.

Have a artist thank you dinner after the event and then ask for the signatures one on one.

Steranko_Errie.thumb.jpg.8cbb0cbb0aa479ee2a4cc67aba4596bd.jpg Steranko_Captain_America.thumb.jpg.4cda4bf44522913914b9afbd39455d53.jpg

I also got two posters and an Nick Fury #1 signed for my wall and collection. Terry O.

Yes, lucky you missed the almost painful three hours in line, but once I met and talked with Mr. Steranko it was well worth it.... what a charming individual... as was Joe Staton.

Thanks for a great show.

4 hours ago, TerrysComics said:

Does this mean you are considering adding a dealer's table in the men's room? :idea:

14 hours ago, JWKyle said:

I didn't think of the mall parking for free and used the hotel parking:boo:  for $20.00.

At the Con table out front, they had $10 parking discount tickets (so parking was only $10 a day, which is very reasonable).

Good venue, as others noted improved lighting would be a plus.

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

At the Con table out front, they had $10 parking discount tickets (so parking was only $10 a day, which is very reasonable).

Good venue, as others noted improved lighting would be a plus.

you are now in charge of lighting for next years con, don't let us down Steve.  

On 1/28/2020 at 11:04 AM, aardvark88 said:

Was happy to pick up a reader of Dennis Menace #9 from Mr. Rabin. What goodies did forumites pick up? Pics?

T8rSNcg.jpg

That's what my students call me [at least, to my face]! My friends and foes call me "Mick" or some derivation of that.
That Dennis caught my eye before I even noticed that it was my old copy! Glad you scored it!

Edited by comick1

On 1/30/2020 at 9:58 AM, TerrysComics said:

Did anyone take picture of the crowd at the show?

All my staff were too busy to do that, please send me some or post them here. Terry O. -Show Promoter.

Yeah, I took a bunch of photos and posted them over in the GA section in my "Son of my 50 year junk obsecession" thread along with a little write up.

Here are a few crowd shots.

ABCE7B62-4BB5-4C60-8115-4E84AEA0B781.thumb.jpeg.2d1df87b3c537b870dc1386cec9e781c.jpeg

9D641AD5-AF0F-4082-B59D-4EEA581F3C69.thumb.jpeg.8a5119a2ff6035d73e9ce4c5516447cb.jpeg

39F2D99C-86C4-49CF-B68C-3EC744075B32.thumb.jpeg.ae841b41e155a88f7fa6be9f3013c2fd.jpeg

7B25CDB4-2D39-408F-9F7F-846025363C51.thumb.jpeg.529258b512ce994e4c788f6285d8b2d1.jpeg

Just wanted to give a shout-out to Terry for hosting such a spectacular show!

I've never seen such a density of Golden Age books at a show. To be honest, I've never before seen so many GA books at a show, even compared to much bigger venues such as Wizard Chicago, NYCC, and Baltimore.

What a blast!

:martini:

On 1/27/2020 at 3:34 AM, oakman29 said:

Fun was had by all. I picked up a ton of books, met up with some of you guys, and even got John Dolmyan to sign my bosses Toxicity album. Win win in my book.

I'm sorry I missed you man, I'm glad you had a good show.