• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2020 ( CalComicCon )
8 8

165 posts in this topic

I might be in the minority here, but I've been coming to this show since 2014 and was encouraged to write a little something in this regards. The show has grown bigger and I understand the need for a bigger venue. I'm a bit disappointed in the rates for the Hotel at Westin. While $135 a night is a good deal there are many add ons for this hotel, + $15 a day for internet, + $31 for parking a day, +$8 or $18 for breakfast per person. Total is $189 - $198 a night. Plus I imagine there is some sort of resort fee.

While it's easy to say if you can't afford it don't stay at the hotel. For me half the enjoyment of the show was being able to meet up with fellow collectors. I am a Southern California resident. My family and I enjoyed the little getaway. Dealing with traffic for us would sometimes make it around a 4 hour drive so it was nice to be able to relax at the hotel. Unfortunately with a lot of things in California I feel like I am being priced out. This last year has seen a lot of increased costs for us for both sales, gas, and food. If there would be someway to also have the Ayers suite in Yorba Linda at a group rate of around $100 a night like the previous years that would be great! (That's almost half the cost)....Westin rooms at the group rate are sold out currently.

Thank you for this consideration.

23 hours ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

I might be in the minority here, but I've been coming to this show since 2014 and was encouraged to write a little something in this regards. The show has grown bigger and I understand the need for a bigger venue. I'm a bit disappointed in the rates for the Hotel at Westin. While $135 a night is a good deal there are many add ons for this hotel, + $15 a day for internet, + $31 for parking a day, +$8 or $18 for breakfast per person. Total is $189 - $198 a night. Plus I imagine there is some sort of resort fee.

While it's easy to say if you can't afford it don't stay at the hotel. For me half the enjoyment of the show was being able to meet up with fellow collectors. I am a Southern California resident. My family and I enjoyed the little getaway. Dealing with traffic for us would sometimes make it around a 4 hour drive so it was nice to be able to relax at the hotel. Unfortunately with a lot of things in California I feel like I am being priced out. This last year has seen a lot of increased costs for us for both sales, gas, and food. If there would be someway to also have the Ayers suite in Yorba Linda at a group rate of around $100 a night like the previous years that would be great! (That's almost half the cost)....Westin rooms at the group rate are sold out currently.

Thank you for this consideration.

Hi StormShadow , you are in the minority and you also have some bad information.

1. the reason the show was moved was because the original location was way to small to accommodate the success of the show.

2. I had to agree to a large financial burden ( 130 room nights ) to get the rate down to $135, ( if I don't sell rooms, I still have to pay for them )

3. the total cost not including parking is:  135USD / night + 15.45USD Taxes and fees 150.45   this is from their web-site.

4. if you are a Bonvoy member breakfast is included, internet is also free, otherwise there are many other places to buy your breakfast beside the hotel. ( none are free)

5. the hotel web-site says $29 for overnight parking but my contract with the hotel says $10 per day parking for rooms booked with this event. ( I have contacted hotel personnel to correct this) 

6. As for the cost, yes Ayers was great, but it was not able to hold a Convention and was far from the show. You can still stay there if you want or any other hotel in the area.

7. I recently added rooms to Saturday night above my commitment but they will not last, book now if you want to stay at the official  hotel.

8. if the hotel stops providing rooms at a special rate then I will try to find another hotel close to the event to offer a special show rate.( please be patient and don't complain on a public forum )

9. finally, this show is costing me five times the amount to promote than the previous location, I may lose a lot of money if it is not successful, I hope you will consider that.

Best regards,
                                                     Terry O’Neill
                                            Promoter - CalComicCon

I for one am grateful for the changed location for this show. While I don't have the tons of experience that most others have regarding this show, I have been coming to the show for at least the last 8 years (maybe more...the memory is not what it used to be) and it is an amazing comic show with multiple exhibitors featuring an incredible selection of comics and other comic related stuff (including OA). My problem with the prior location is many others also discovered this great show and the last few years it has been crowded beyond belief and I struggled with the amount of people (my fellow comic lovers) trying to access the tables, boxes, etc. just trying to get a look at what was there. I personally don't do well with large crowds and although the show was great, as Terry mentioned 'it was way too small to accommodate'. 

My thanks to Terry for promoting this show (said to be the best 1 day show in the nation by many) and for taking the risk of changing the location at a cost in which he may lose money. Hopefully that is not the case and we will all benefit from the changed location that affords everyone a lot more room in which to enjoy this show. 

I look forward to it and hanging out with my friends that will be traveling with me to spend the day. 

Someone who looked at the show site had these questions:

Are the pre-show comic swap and artist reception open to all? 

Is the swap a buying opportunity and is the reception appropriate for getting autographs?

Comic Swap is $10 admission and open to all.  https://www.calcomiccon.com/Customers.aspx

Artist reception is open to all but there is a limit to how many I can sell.  https://www.calcomiccon.com/Customers.aspx

Swap is a buying opportunity for dealers that are not at the main show.

Swap is a way for people to drop off comics with CGC at 1/2 the admission price of the main Sunday show.  https://www.cgccomics.com/

Artist Reception is a chance to meet and hang out with Artist other Collectors and Dealers.

As of now I was not expecting them to be signing anything but that may change.

Best regards,

Terry O’Neill

Promoter - CalComicCon

Someone asked me via e-mail about CGC being there on both days, here was my response:

Yes, CGC will be taking drop off's only on Saturday from 1-4pm during the comic swap.

This is mainly for people that were complaining about paying $20 just to drop off comics during the main event at the last show.

It also includes many non-pro dealers offering their comics for sale or trade.

This event is $10 and less crowded than the main event on Sunday.

You must fill out the paperwork on-line in order to do the drop off.

On Sunday they will take submissions all day from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm you can fill out forms at the show.

The admission is $20 and it includes raffles and guest access and dozens of dealers from all over the country.

I hope this information was helpful.

Best regards,

Terry O’Neill

Promoter - CalComicCon

Edited by TerrysComics
ad info