• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2020 ( CalComicCon )
8 8

165 posts in this topic

On 1/26/2020 at 11:28 PM, Robot Man said:

The joint was PACKED and rocking all day long. I still had willing customers all the way until closing. I did REAL well as a seller. Must have brought what the people wanted or priced it right. Saw a ton of boardies. Was talking to some one how if everybody went to shows like this there would be no more wars. 

People came to buy. Here is one of several stacks of GA/SA that left my boxes...

Thanks to Terry and all his hard work. It was quite the party! 

B38A5D83-A557-4DA1-8740-11BE5A4668A9.jpeg

I recognize that pile!

This show was a blast.  I had some good conversations with several guys and had a great time.  I've stepped back from comics a bit over the last couple years and this was a great show to jump back in. My thoughts:

- The lighting didn't bother me much.

- The hotel was great, better than some resorts I've experienced. 

- The comic swap was the most fun I've had buying/selling/trading comics in a long time.  I did better in three hours at the comic swap than I did in some large shows.  I snagged a few books that I rarely ever see.

- One day doesn't feel long enough, I was actively shopping from 9ish until 4:30 with a short break for lunch and I was exhausted.

- The dealers were great.  There were many of the convention mainstays but it was really nice to see the guys that don't set up at a lot of shows.  Robotman and another dealer a couple booths down from him (a boardie who's handle unfortunately I cannot remember) had some great books and took the majority of my money.  

My only complaint, and it's not a huge deal, but there were several dealers that had books that weren't priced.  I learned quickly that, for the most part, it wasn't worth my time to ask what the prices were.  With one exception, the quoted prices were well outside the market for the books.  I'm not sure the reason for this strategy but I did notice that at the end of the day, the long boxes with the unpriced books were still nearly full. 

2 hours ago, Mike's Rack said:

This show was a blast.  I had some good conversations with several guys and had a great time.  I've stepped back from comics a bit over the last couple years and this was a great show to jump back in. My thoughts:

- The lighting didn't bother me much.

- The hotel was great, better than some resorts I've experienced. 

- The comic swap was the most fun I've had buying/selling/trading comics in a long time.  I did better in three hours at the comic swap than I did in some large shows.  I snagged a few books that I rarely ever see.

- One day doesn't feel long enough, I was actively shopping from 9ish until 4:30 with a short break for lunch and I was exhausted.

- The dealers were great.  There were many of the convention mainstays but it was really nice to see the guys that don't set up at a lot of shows.  Robotman and another dealer a couple booths down from him (a boardie who's handle unfortunately I cannot remember) had some great books and took the majority of my money.  

My only complaint, and it's not a huge deal, but there were several dealers that had books that weren't priced.  I learned quickly that, for the most part, it wasn't worth my time to ask what the prices were.  With one exception, the quoted prices were well outside the market for the books.  I'm not sure the reason for this strategy but I did notice that at the end of the day, the long boxes with the unpriced books were still nearly full. 

Thanks for the kind words and your purchases. I’m pretty sure I know the other dealer you are referring to. He is one of my favorite sellers too. He always has cool books I need priced right. 

Personaly, I like the show the way it is. Tight concise and focused. I find it pretty easy to do a show like this as a buyer. I eliminate dealers that are vastly overpriced or who don’t have what I am looking for. Un-priced books are usually a waste of time. I can figure that out fairly quickly. I hit the ones that best suit my collecting needs. Problem I have is I see so many people I want to chat with...:roflmao:

Hope to see you next year Mike. I should probably have a whole new batch of junk for you to pile up! 

4 hours ago, Mike's Rack said:

Yep, I got hit with non-sticker shock twice at this show. However, after visiting many different types of shows, in different parts of the US, this "tactic" is not limited to this show or Southern CA.

I, too, wonder at the thought process behind this and how much the dealer ultimately sells. For a specific dealer I see setup at a huge show every year, I wonder if there is a calculated laziness to it.

On 2/3/2020 at 11:59 AM, manetteska said:

Yep, I got hit with non-sticker shock twice at this show. However, after visiting many different types of shows, in different parts of the US, this "tactic" is not limited to this show or Southern CA.

I, too, wonder at the thought process behind this and how much the dealer ultimately sells. For a specific dealer I see setup at a huge show every year, I wonder if there is a calculated laziness to it.

This is kind of sleezy, lazy and ultimately a waste of my time. I don’t spend much time in booths like this. Nor do I buy very often. These are the kind of dealers that complain how bad they did. You only get of life what you put into it. I work very hard when I set up and usually are rewarded well for my efforts. 

CalComicCon 2021 is still looking for a new location because the Westin South Coast Plaza was booked during our preferred date in 2020. 
        We have posted the winning numbers of the Raffles that were unclaimed on our Raffle page.
        Just for fun I went through my personnel collection and decide I would sell a few cool War comics 
        that are currently listed for auction in my eBay store, OACI_Nationwide Ebay Store

War_Fury_1_fc.thumb.jpg.fa18bb8eb16b4ab4f6186b48fc2aa17c.jpg United_States_Marines_3_fc_0_5.thumb.jpg.d3d0ef61bacd0bef93458af51f574f7f.jpg War_Fury_2_fc.thumb.jpg.080c39e78cf72548fb4657b638f49f81.jpg Battle_Cry_4_fc_2_0.thumb.jpg.184d1dd9cff38d0602496c95843db19f.jpg

War_Heroes_3_bc_5_0.thumb.jpg.7dc1356876d93d9d7374a2ffcdb396e7.jpg War_Fury_3_fc.thumb.jpg.001bdad945e6c0fc9ba4a043df4ec520.jpg 1367701225_G.I.In_Battle_3_fc_4_5.thumb.jpg.b3b4a10a9761370cbba5d96db1cc460f.jpg War_Fury_4_fc.thumb.jpg.ac3f4b74799bf227670cafe41e885146.jpg

Fightin_Air_Force_12_fc_3_5.thumb.jpg.01b4ec384f7a81a12086bee16e293c5b.jpg Fightin_Air_Force_12_cf_3_5.thumb.jpg.98bf9df96ce2cb03d0e6945a2d1c0eae.jpg War_Heroes_9_fc_3_0.thumb.jpg.cb0aa491c24448b0ecd3fd52c4940a92.jpg War_Stories_2_fc_1_5.thumb.jpg.9267d70db0870cc8bea968a383fa4fd0.jpg
Fightin_Navy_74_fc_1_0.thumb.jpg.9d199256af26de41ed9593c025aba3fd.jpg Fighting_Leathernecks_3_fc_0_25.thumb.jpg.15fcacf23c14dfd6787e13e851c92440.jpg War_Stories_2_fc_1_5.thumb.jpg.9267d70db0870cc8bea968a383fa4fd0.jpg Fighting_Man_3_fc_2_0.thumb.jpg.553579b455f3ecc338907623f4412863.jpg

Just a few currently going for little money. Terry O.
Edited by TerrysComics

23 minutes ago, littledoom said:

Will there be a Cal Con in 2021?

i think its a bit early to speculate (and/or pay a deposit or decide how big a venue to get).  If/when the general public gets the vaccine AND how the numbers for hospital beds/cases look locally are too uncertain IMO to plan for it.  And for better or for worse, obviously the rules in California can swing with wide variance.  Though if i were planning it, I'd tentatively target late August (under the assumptions that by March-April a SOLID chunk of people will have gotten access to vaccine, AND that the fall might bring back the flu AND possibly coronavirus).  But I wouldn't even think about putting down a deposit or selling a ticket or booking a guest/dealer until AFTER the vaccine is widely for available distribution.

Terry's Con (California Comic Convention) has traditionally been scheduled to take place the Sunday before the Superbowl, so the question would be "Will there be a 2022 show?".  That's going to be a tough call at this point, what with the unknown about where we will be with the Delta Variant going around. :wishluck: 

Edited by Forbush-Man