• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Peanuts

165 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

There has been a quantum leap in prices in the past couple of years or so (whenever it was that a daily from the 1950s broke the $100k barrier).  Prices and supply had always been strong before, but then both have jumped since then, which is not surprising.

While no daily has reached six figures since then, they're all selling at well above levels from before 2 years ago.  So while supply is up, demand is also apparently up.

I should note that I only follow the auctions of strips from the 1950s and early 1960s, and from the mid- to late-60s only if it's a particularly strong strip.  So I have no idea what pieces from the 1970s and onwards have been doing.

Agree 100% on prices.  There was an early 1950s daily that cracked the $100k mark (sold on Heritage).  It is Lucy crying.  I was completely shocked at how high it went for because I thought it was just okay.  That is the only one I have seen.  For 2018, there were around 50 pieces that sold across all the sites I monitor.  For some reason I can’t bring up my list to see the actual price trends (which are hard to really do since price is driven by content).  I think 2019 will end up down from 2018 for sales but there were quite a few pieces that didn’t meet reserve.

Just some data on Peanuts sales over the years.

This is not a complete list, still merging stuff but This graph shows the number of pieces sold by year.  It is both dailies and Sundays but I track them individually as well. You can see 2008 was a pretty big year (plus it had the Moset Sunday's sold out of any of the years).  2019 is on track to be identical to 2018. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 5.46.21 PM.png

16 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Just some data on Peanuts sales over the years.

This is not a complete list, still merging stuff but This graph shows the number of pieces sold by year.  It is both dailies and Sundays but I track them individually as well. You can see 2008 was a pretty big year (plus it had the Moset Sunday's sold out of any of the years).  2019 is on track to be identical to 2018. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 5.46.21 PM.png

What are the sources of your data?

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I pull from several different auction sites including some 3rd tier places.  The majority of the sales are from Heritage.

Thanks for sharing.   Interesting data.   Does this number include auctions where the pages failed to sell (i.e. NateSaunders)

1 minute ago, spider9698 said:

Thanks for sharing.   Interesting data.   Does this number include auctions where the pages failed to sell (i.e. NateSaunders)

No, I haven't included those.  I have thought about capturing them because it would track the art exists.

7 minutes ago, spider9698 said:

If they fail to sell then, by definition, they're not "sales" (y axis).

Edited by pemart1966

1 minute ago, pemart1966 said:

If they fail to sell then by definition, they're not "sales" (y axis).

correct, but that is easy to filter.  I track a bunch more stuff with the pieces because it allows me to do more complex pricing analysis

17 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Time to bump this thread.  Recent auction win, need to pay for it Monday :cry:.

peanutsSunday.png

I’m very pleased for you my friend. I just think this is super with Snoopy and a baseball theme. Schulz just the best.

🍇 🦍