• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Everything Peanuts

165 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

I would like to use this thread to complain that I own no Peanuts because I can't afford to buy any Peanuts. :mad:

lol  I know one buyer that is out of bidding on a lot of stuff so maybe things will get cheaper. 

Just some info on the number of strips and what is known about the whereabouts of them.  Below is a statement I got from the museum’s collection manager.

Schulz created approximately 17,897 Peanuts strips during his career.
The museum has approximately 8,000 in its collection. 
We have tracked 2,700 to private collections, which leaves approximately 7,000 as having unknown whereabouts--who knows if they still exist?

5 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

Love Peanuts. I definitely have some bucket list strips I’d like to get - but they’re very dear. So at the moment I’ll have to settle for this, which is also on the larger size. Commission sketch. 

Sorry for the poor pic. 

1C4AD819-2476-46CF-88B4-B85B19DF1B42.jpeg

Looks awesome and it has great subject material. You got to love snoopy and Woodstock.  :applause:

I love Peanuts of course Snoopy is amazing. A very dear friend collects everything Snoopy however the OA is out of reach. If I had mad money I would get a strip featuring Snoopy for my friend and a nice Charlie Brown for me.

8 hours ago, Kent Mansley said:

I worked for the family of Charles Schulz for 2 years as their animation director from 2009 to 2011. Jeannie Schulz is a wonderful caretaker of Sparky's legacy. It was always a treat when new packages of strip art arrived in the mail to be added to the museum collection. If you have not visited the Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa, I highly encourage you to make the trip. It really is worth it. 

I am lucky enough to own this cover to the book adaptation of the second animated special, "Charlie Brown's All Stars." Unlike most of the adaptations, all the art for this book was created by Schulz instead of using cells from the special. The whole book is really beautiful. This scan is a little more yellow than the actual art. The colors don't show up too well in a regular scan for some reason. 

CBAllStarsCoverCropped.jpeg

That is beautiful. I plan to do a short vacation to the museum with the family in the not to distant future. 

Edited by batman_fan

I love Peanuts and would love to have a strip.    It’s one of those bucket list things in collecting I need to get around to at some point.   Just have to find the time when the stars align between the competing interests 

No original Peanuts strips just two individual drawings by Charles Schulz.

Appeared in "Shipstads & Johnson Ice Follies" 1971 program. Schulz did at least a dozen illustrations for the program, mostly of Snoopy. Whenever I see this all I think of is Peter Boyle belting out "Puttin' on the Ritz!"

snoopy.thumb.jpeg.420790858db920d64ead8a4fffd5f980.jpeg

Charlie Brown illustration used for Butternut Bread. Done in the 70s.

Charlie_Brown_BN.thumb.jpg.2ac7ec945167e4be3c4f26d5c6d2ef5b.jpg

Linus  prelim for Butternut Bread.

827298539_LinusButternutsketch.thumb.jpg.a26107842fa6ed1624d332b1320888e6.jpg

26 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’m sure there are probably entire threads devoted to this kind of thing but wow...just wow. doh!

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F392367097577

definitely need to look at that one with a magnifying glass to conclude it is fake :insane:

29 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I have a database I maintain on Peanuts artwork sales.  I looked at the number of pieces by year the piece was published which I think is pretty interesting.  Much more early pieces have been sold versus the later ones.

Screen Shot 2019-08-03 at 9.37.42 PM.png

I would think it later years they would have been held by the family more. At some point it became clear these were things to hold onto (shrug)

3 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I would think it later years they would have been held by the family more. At some point it became clear these were things to hold onto (shrug)

That would be my guess as well and likely he was more giving early in his career.  Would love to know the data breakdown on what the museum still holds and if they continue to purchase stuff.