• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do you buy low grade old comics to complete runs?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I have done both.

Some books are low grade for many reasons:

1. can't find higher grade ( may not exist! )

2. can't afford higher grade

I have also been slowly upgrading my runs over time.

Not a run-collector (unless it's a really small full series like <20 issues and I really really like the whole run).

But oldish books of lower grade are fine by me if it's a book I want and it's out of my range to get a higher grade.

I have a pretty random collection of books that just personally appeal to me made up keys, non-keys and small runs.

If it's an inexpensive book, no, I want the grade of the run to match the rest of the books, so I'll wait.  If it's GA, atom, or early silver of a certain value, I'll take a low grade copy with specific defects if I can find it, and that'll be my keeper.

I got back into collecting about 12 years ago.  The first run I wanted to complete was X-Men 1-66.  I was so amped to collect the issues, condition almost didn’t matter.  As long as it was complete.  After I completed the run, I decided that for key issues, the VG range was my “sweet spot”.  

Fast forward about 10 years, my VG sweet spot is a lofty goal for keys.  For filler issues, I try to be in the fine range.