• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Convention Programs

17 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there is a resource for determining a value range on old convention program books? I just picked up a large batch of con programs and fanzines, and have been tearing the tiny, lonely hairs on the top of my head out trying to come up with values on some of them -- mostly older ones... late 60s through the 70s.

I can also add for the programs I couldn't find information on:

If I liked the program then it was more than others that didn't grab me. My reason is if I like it someone else probably will as well.

Here is a very small assortment from the hundreds of items that came in the collection that have been difficult to value.

1.The first is the very first San Diego Comic-con program booklet in a CGC 8.0 slab.

2. The second I have seen on Ebay, but prices are all over the place as you mentioned

3. 1973 Detroit show program signed by Barry Smith. He doesn't sign many things

4. Vinyl record interview. Never seen one for sale ever

5. Marvelmania newsletter

6.The Who's Who listing.

20190427_160722.jpg

20180603_180837.jpg

20180528_184927.jpg

20180520_124043.jpg

20180520_121837.jpg

20180520_114619.jpg

Edited by Artboy99

54 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I can also add for the programs I couldn't find information on:

If I liked the program then it was more than others that didn't grab me. My reason is if I like it someone else probably will as well.

Here is a very small assortment from the hundreds of items that came in the collection that have been difficult to value.

1.The first is the very first San Diego Comic-con program booklet in a CGC 8.0 slab.

20190427_160722.jpg

Yeah, there was one of these.

5 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Thanks. Yeah, that is helpful on some, though the prices are all over the map. Other older ones aren't there at all.

Hi Roger.  You might also check HA archives if you haven't done so already.  They often list some in their weekly auctions.  Sometimes they are put in groups.  I love this stuff.

There was a guy at OAFCON that dealt in fanzines and con programs.  He was on here for a little bit but I cannot remember his name.

Here is thread called Fanzine and Convention Program Appreciation Thread but it doesn't help you with values.

15 hours ago, telerites said:

Hi Roger.  You might also check HA archives if you haven't done so already.  They often list some in their weekly auctions.  Sometimes they are put in groups.  I love this stuff.

There was a guy at OAFCON that dealt in fanzines and con programs.  He was on here for a little bit but I cannot remember his name.

Here is thread called Fanzine and Convention Program Appreciation Thread but it doesn't help you with values.

Hey Jeff! 

I remember that guy from 2011, but did not see him there when we were back in 2017. We will be at OAF this year (my favorite show, hands-down). I'm bringing a bunch of off-the-wall stuff -- fanzines, con programs, and, of course, comics and art. I'm really looking forward to it.

2 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Hey Jeff! 

I remember that guy from 2011, but did not see him there when we were back in 2017. We will be at OAF this year (my favorite show, hands-down). I'm bringing a bunch of off-the-wall stuff -- fanzines, con programs, and, of course, comics and art. I'm really looking forward to it.

Cool - I will be there and will see you there :banana:

Price them at ridiculous levels. You can always lower the price.  I recently sold a few books through MCS. Priced them at what I thought was a very aggressive price but half of them sold in 48 hours. I left thousands on the table

. Many of these programs are quite rare and while not in huge demand, there is a niche of collectors who recognize their scarcity.

Can you easily replace them once sold? If not, price them high.

I once had a pretty rare error copy of a Turtles book.  I priced it  very high figuring somebody would buy it. It got a lot of traction but o one bought it.

After about six months and fifteen shows, I dropped the price 50%.  A guy who had looked at the book twice at other shows came over, asked to see it and bought it. I had to bite my tongue when he told me about an a hole dealer at another show who wanted twice as much for a copy not nearly as nice as this one.

By the way, be sure to check each program for autographs.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Price them at ridiculous levels. You can always lower the price.  I recently sold a few books through MCS. Priced them at what I thought was a very aggressive price but half of them sold in 48 hours. I left thousands on the table

. Many of these programs are quite rare and while not in huge demand, there is a niche of collectors who recognize their scarcity.

Can you easily replace them once sold? If not, price them high.

I once had a pretty rare error copy of a Turtles book.  I priced it  very high figuring somebody would buy it. It got a lot of traction but o one bought it.

After about six months and fifteen shows, I dropped the price 50%.  A guy who had looked at the book twice at other shows came over, asked to see it and bought it. I had to bite my tongue when he told me about an a hole dealer at another show who wanted twice as much for a copy not nearly as nice as this one.

I recommend only pricing high the ones he is ok keeping. High prices chase away potential buyers. Few people know about the art of negotiation these days.

2 hours ago, shadroch said:

Yeah, there are a few... Kubert, Takai, Ackerman, Brunner and some others... the first SDCC con program has an autograph and character sketch by Morrie Turner.