• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have never read one X-Man comic

19 posts in this topic

.....and don’t know anything about the character. How did he get 75 issues? This was a window in time that I was out of the comic game (1992-2005 because of girls). Are they worth going back to read? I will also point out that Age of Apocalypse was something I missed out on as well. 

Edited by Blastaar

56 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

.....and don’t know anything about the character. How did he get 75 issues? This was a window in time that I was out of the comic game (1992-2005 because of girls). Are they worth going back to read? I will also point out that Age of Apocalypse was something I missed out on as well. 

He's an alternate version (from the AoA timeline) of Cable. It's nothing very special, but it's not bad. The end of the series is... quite different than the rest (though that shouldn't be much of a shock with Ellis involved).

28 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

It's nothing very special, but it's not bad.

Yup. The 90s is my least favourite decade for X-Men.

I never go back and read anything from that period.

Edited by Ken Aldred

16 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

Never gave it a second thought.  Didn’t know Ellis was involved.  I’ll keep on the lookout for cheap trades.  I usually like his stuff.

Ellis was only involved near the end and I don't think those issues were ever collected. Actually, I don't think much of the series ever got the TPB treatment.

counter x was the way the series ended, it was across a few titles like X-Force, and I think Cable as well. Good work in those issues. The early X-Man issues were okay as well, Sugarman and AoA Beast were excellent characters I thought.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

counter x was the way the series ended, it was across a few titles like X-Force, and I think Cable as well. Good work in those issues. The early X-Man issues were okay as well, Sugarman and AoA Beast were excellent characters I thought.

Am I wrong to compare him to Azrael? Came out around the same time, had a stand alone series, central to certain events in the 90s. 

1 minute ago, Blastaar said:

Am I wrong to compare him to Azrael? Came out around the same time, had a stand alone series, central to certain events in the 90s. 

I have never read an issue of Azrael so I couldn't say!

15 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

That's an interesting comparison. There are definitely some similarities.

3 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

Ellis was only involved near the end and I don't think those issues were ever collected. Actually, I don't think much of the series ever got the TPB treatment.

I didn’t think much of Ellis’ X-Men stories.

Stormwatch was better. Then again, that was effectively his prequel to The Authority.

Edited by Ken Aldred

20 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Yup. The 90s is my least favourite decade for X-Men.

I never go back and read anything from that period.

I started buying X-Men with 242 and went up into the 320's, I think. Collected many of the surrounding X-Books as well. Storywise, I remember Wolvie getting shredded by Magneto. That's about it.

17 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I didn’t think much of Ellis’ X-Men stories.

Stormwatch was better. Then again, that was effectively his prequel to The Authority.

Stormwatch was so good!

As for X-Man, Age of Apocalypse was what got me back into the X-Men. I'd stopped reading shortly after the launch of the new Claremont/Lee series. I heard the hype about AoA, and I'll admit, it grabbed me. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it was colorful and fun, which is something X-Men hadn't been (to me) for so long, as it was needlessly mired in boring continuity. I jumped off again after Joe Mad wrapped his run, whenever whathisface was writing (Austen?) as the title was once again pretty dire, and didn't jump back in again until Morrison.

As for X-Man, he was my least favorite of the AoA books, but then again, I've always hated Cable as well. Never read any of his solo series. God knows I run across enough of them in 50 cent bins!

On 8/1/2019 at 8:47 AM, Lazyboy said:

There were some Counter X tpbs released just a few years ago. The intent was to collect the whole Counter X run of all 3 series, but iirc they didn't get very far due to low sales. 

56 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

There were some Counter X tpbs released just a few years ago. The intent was to collect the whole Counter X run of all 3 series, but iirc they didn't get very far due to low sales. 

Okay, apparently the Counter X books (Generation X 63-75, X-Force 102-115, X-Man 63-74) were collected in 6 TPBs that started coming out a decade ago. X-Man 75 was also included. Interesting.