• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$90,000 = All-time record for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (August 1, 2019)
4 4

138 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, seanfingh said:
14 minutes ago, Turtle said:

This is quite the outlier.  I'm inclined to say it's a FLUKE, but I have no idea what would have caused this.

My go-to answer is always "money laundering."

radioactivity has been know to cause many things to grow to extremes in sci fi movies. Flukes would be no exception.

1 minute ago, Callaway29 said:

this is bananas...my money is that it's an anomaly, but there will surely be some people "betting" on it not, resulting in some near-term price bumps...

A little discussion in the TMNT #1 Club topic in the Copper Age Forum prior to the auction was that the book might hit $50,000, even though none had ever hit $40,000.  I'm pretty sure everyone on this board is surprised by $90,000, but the next copies that sell hitting anything above $50,000 would be a major movement up, even if the $90,000 is a single outlier.

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:
27 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

You might be missing some tears when you realize you could've bought one for $15-20k just a couple of years ago.

Yup I sold one for 17k .:cry:

Was it the one that sold today?  Do you remember the serial number?

1 minute ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Nope circo 2011/2012

Dont care about the serial number.  I could look at my c-link previous sales but now I obviously never want to see that book again.

It may have been your book.  Graded 3/23/2014: https://www.cgccomics.com/grading/verify-cgc-comic.aspx?cgc-comic-cert=1199928001&grader-notes=yes

Here's your sale: 3/27/2014 where you said it was just graded on-site: 

6 minutes ago, DR.X said:

I'm wondering if Radioactive Black Belt Hamsters will see a rise in price now?  :wishluck:

I'm putting everything into Naive Interdimensional Kung-Fu Koalas, Geriatric Gangrene Ju-Jitsu Gerbils, Cold Blooded Chameleon Commandoes, and Mildly Microwaved Pre-Pubescent Kung Fu Gophers,  

(Well maybe not everything, but I definitely bough 'em back in the day!)

14 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I remember a couple of years ago a Boardie told a story of going into his LCS in the 1980s and the owner trying to push a B&W new release on him.  The Boardie relented and bought it.  Turns out it was a TMNT #1 that came back CGC 9.8.  Anyone remember this? 

Wow, that sounds just like my story! Except mine is still raw and it's a Fish Police #1.

19 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

this is bananas...my money is that it's an anomaly, but there will surely be some people "betting" on it not, resulting in some near-term price bumps...

I predict a flood of raw copies of TMNT #1 to hit Ebay, all claimed to be first printings, and 98% of them later printings the seller won't agree about. lol