• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$90,000 = All-time record for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (August 1, 2019)
4 4

138 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

What I wonder is if the winning bidder is actually going to pay...

Said it before. Heritage has had auctions that went unpaid in the past ... I think the winning bidder should blame the bottle, change his HA username and move on.

Edited by Gotham Kid

7 hours ago, valiantman said:

Probably so.  They do have five theater movies and decades of cartoons, too, don't they. :kidaround:

The Turtles have six, actually. Everyone always forgets the Imagi CG movie. 

11 minutes ago, MustEatBrains said:

Yes sometimes it’s hard to believe these shill sites.. er I mean auction sites. Do they have an option to view completed transactions?

33 minutes ago, Primetime said:
39 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The Millennials have spoken.  They're making a statement that they can hang with the old farts and their 5 -figure comic book purchases :idea:

we are doomed. We need them to be spending that on golden age. :facepalm:

Donate to a museum :grin: (with your name attached of course ) 

6 hours ago, Dinosaur jr. said:

Really? Thanks, I really needed that boost today.  

I was wondering if Bid History is available on Heritage. Probably not. Could this have been two or maybe three people just bidding each other up? Once it hit around 45 or 50K I would think most everyone would have just bailed. Also if This turns out to be a bad sale meaning a deadbeat high bidder does Heritage make that known? And my final question to anybody who may want to chime in is do you think this will set a precedent or do you think the next 9.8 will come back down to the around previous level price wise?

Or possibly just one person and N.P. Gresham.

7 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Said it before. Heritage has had auctions that went unpaid in the past ... I think the winning bidder should blame the bottle, change his HA username and move on.

How easy is it?  I know with Comicconnect you have to go through an additional verification process with your account to bid over $25,000.  I assumed I didn't have to do the same with Heritage because they already had all my banking details and other pertinent information from the purchases I had made already.  I would think if I bid the book to $90,000 and then didn't pay all my details would be nuked so that even if I did just create a new HA name, when I go to check out and pay they would see it's me (or my shipping address, or my bank) and contact me to either pull the sale or get some kind of restitution before letting me back in the fold (maybe $18,000 to make up for the lost BP).

11 hours ago, Mak420 said:

Yes sometimes it’s hard to believe these shill sites.. er I mean auction sites. Do they have an option to view completed transactions?

Because being able to see "sold" listings on eBay makes that site more legitimate?

13 hours ago, MustEatBrains said:
22 hours ago, Krishosein said:

whoa! I wonder if it will hold its value over time or decrease?

or if he even exists.

33 minutes ago, DR.X said:

or if he even exists.

Interesting question actually... So let's imagine this scenario...

• Person A - Consigns FF1 to Heritage.
  • Person B - Bids on FF1
  • Heritage uses the NP Gresham routine to bid the price up
  • Person B - Taps out making NP Gresham (Heritage) the winner. 
  • Heritage loses their cookies because Heritage is on the hook for a payout to Person A
  • Person A does not want to hear that a fake account (shill bidding through heritage) bid the book up to a point that a sale does not occur. 
  • Heritage contacts Person B and offers the book at the underbidder price. 
  • However, Person B spent their money elsewhere at the auction so they are no longer an interested party. 

According to this ten year old article.  Heritage buys and owns the book. https://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/steve_duin/2009/09/lifting_the_veil_at_heritage_a.html

Now... the real question is, does this practice still occur with Heritage buying their 'wins' and if so, how soon does that book hit the market again so Heritage can recoup its losses?

Edited by Buzzetta

11 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I just hope theres a trickle down to my 8.0 TMNT 1.:wishluck:

A few hours after the 9.8 sold for $90,000, there was a 9.4 in the same auction that sold for $10,200.  Seeing the drop of 89% from 9.8 to 9.4, we can assume another drop of 89% from 9.4 to 9.0, and either another drop of 89% from 9.0 to 8.6 (which doesn't exist) or a drop of 89% from 9.0 to 8.0 since that is a drop of two CGC grade levels like 9.8-to-9.4 and 9.4-to-9.0.  Doing the math on that, $10,200 becomes $1,112 for the 9.0 and the 8.0 price would be $123, but I'll give you $150. :foryou:

Edited by valiantman