• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who/what do you wish certain artists had drawn?

19 posts in this topic

Would've loved to see Frazetta try his hand at mainstream Marvel characters.  Or Sandman.  Just out of curiosity... the master could pull off anything.

More Stephen Fabian on anything gothic/horror.  His Ravenloft still haunts.

Namor-era Jae Lee would've killed a Gambit story in New Orleans.

JSC doing Dejah Thoris beyond covers.  That Warlord of Mars #1 cover, wowee.

Artgerm on an Evangelion re-make.  Please. 

Cockrum could've done well on non-X-titles, to boot.  Shame he doesn't get the full recognition he deserves (outside of X-lovers).

Sienkiewicz interiors for Carnage.  Got a commission of his rendition of ASM 361's cover, and it's visceral in its own way.

Back in the image days - the founders played freaky Friday and took over each others books (eg. Silvestri drew spawn.) Jim Lee drew Savage Dragon - and at that time I recall thinking to myself - Jim Lee could make anything cool!  So from my point of view - if you got a favorite artist- that artist drawing anything could he fun.  

As a big Sergio Aragones fan - would love to see him doing peter porker Spider-Ham.

Edited by Panelfan1

Always thought that Al Williamson would have been the perfect artist for the 1980s graphic novel adaptation of Harlan Ellison's OUTER LIMITS teleplay, 'Demon With a Glass Hand' (illustrated by Marshall Rogers).  Rogers did a good job, and I own half-a-dozen originals, but Williamson would have been better.

Most of the action in 'Demon With a Glass Hand' takes place in downtown LA's historic Bradbury Building.  Funnily enough, Blade Runner used the same location.

Williamson pencilled Marvel's adaptation of Blade Runner, which gives me a flavour of what might have been had been assigned to Demon With a Glass hand.  

Here's a Williamson Blade Runner page (not mine) showcasing the Bradbury Building interiors, along with a Marshall Roger page from Demon With a Glass Hand.

Last image is a photo I took of the Bradbury Building whilst on a visit to LA.  The guy with his back to us wearing a checkered shirt is my friend, Lloyd Braddy.

Fhhdl10z_1607150209141.jpg

Pus6gtXF_2601181837251sbpi.jpg

4cebUUup_031117073152lola.jpg

Edited by The Voord

Matt Fox doing any Marvel superhero title would have been awesome (although Dr. Strange would have probably suited him best), but he only did the monster & sci-fi stories backup stories, such as these.

Also, I wish there was more than just 1 Golden Age Basil Wolverton superhero cover. 

fox1.jpg

fox2.JPG

Edited by Timely

2 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Did Gorey deliver?

Wouldn't that be awesome if a) he did so and b) I'd been hiding that the last 20 years?

No, but I was in touch with his dealer at Gotham Book Mart. They'd learned never to say no to anything, no matter how insane, and told me where to address my inquiry. I sent him a letter about my interest in his work and a couple of reprints of old Ditko ASMs.  Didn't hear back. My impression is that there was some room in his house that was full of unanswered mail, mine included. 

Sort of associated  - one of Gorey's neighbors had a punk rock band called The Freeze. He asked Gorey to do the cover of their album. He did so. I ended up buying it from him.  So some people did manage to get Gorey commissions.

G

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Wouldn't that be awesome if a) he did so and b) I'd been hiding that the last 20 years?

No, but I was in touch with his dealer at Gotham Book Mart. They'd learned never to say no to anything, no matter how insane, and told me where to address my inquiry. I sent him a letter about my interest in his work and a couple of reprints of old Ditko ASMs.  Didn't hear back. My impression is that there was some room in his house that was full of unanswered mail, mine included. 

Sort of associated  - one of Gorey's neighbors had a punk rock band called The Freeze. He asked Gorey to do the cover of their album. He did so. I ended up buying it from him.  So some people did manage to get Gorey commissions.

G

Indeed it would’ve been cool if you were hiding it for the past 20 years. Neat anecdote nonetheless even if nothing materialized from it. I enjoy hearing stories like that. But hey, getting that album cover is a huge win though.