• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would a Clean and Press Bring This to an 8.0?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

ASM 50 is my favorite comic of all time. I would love to have at least an 8.0 copy, but can't afford to buy it.  :(

I have a 7.5 version that I love.  The book has two current conditions that I'm hoping may be improved with a clean and press. What do you think?

The cover has 2" crease along the top that "barely breaks color" There is also some "light dirt" on the back cover than I'm hoping can be removed. Together, I'm wondering if this would bring the book up by .5.  I wouldn't see a grade upgrade for a full or extended color break, but to my eyes, the color break is only around a cm or two.

I tried to take some pictures of the crease and the dirt.

What do you think?

Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color
light edge wear, bends & few creases
light dirt back cover, small rust stains back cover spine
2" crease top spine front cover barely breaks color, bends through to back cover

cover-m.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

3 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

Thank you!  Care to elaborate?  

Removing the "light edge-wear" won't increase the condition enough, to my eyes. That would appear to be the only defect(s) that pressing might alleviate.

I'm not an expert, though. That's just my observation. Either way - it's a very nice comic.

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Removing the "light edge-wear" won't increase the condition enough, to my eyes. That would appear to be the only defect(s) that pressing might alleviate.

I'm not an expert, though. That's just my observation. Either way - it's a very nice comic.

Thank you!

38 minutes ago, XxSpideyxX said:

hahaha

I worry CGC will be more strict and downgrade me more!  LOL

There is always that chance. However, there is also a chance you could get the 8.0 and have your comic certified by the best company in the business.

In the notes, it refers to a bend on the top edge of the spine which goes through the book to the back cover. That type of flaw is almost always treated more severely than if it were just slight wear on the top edge of the spine. If you could remove that flaw, you may have a shot at an 8.0. Not only that, if the back cover were cleaned up, it would also improve your chances. 

If it were me, I'd get ahold of joeypost and have him check it out. Either way, good luck!  

16 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

There is always that chance. However, there is also a chance you could get the 8.0 and have your comic certified by the best company in the business.

In the notes, it refers to a bend on the top edge of the spine which goes through the book to the back cover. That type of flaw is almost always treated more severely than if it were just slight wear on the top edge of the spine. If you could remove that flaw, you may have a shot at an 8.0. Not only that, if the back cover were cleaned up, it would also improve your chances. 

If it were me, I'd get ahold of joeypost and have him check it out. Either way, good luck!  

Does joeypost do pressings and cleaning?  Sorry, I'm new to this community :)

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 10:41 AM, XxSpideyxX said:

ASM 50 is my favorite comic of all time. I would love to have at least an 8.0 copy, but can't afford to buy it.  :(

I have a 7.5 version that I love.  The book has two current conditions that I'm hoping may be improved with a clean and press. What do you think?

The cover has 2" crease along the top that "barely breaks color" There is also some "light dirt" on the back cover than I'm hoping can be removed. Together, I'm wondering if this would bring the book up by .5.  I wouldn't see a grade upgrade for a full or extended color break, but to my eyes, the color break is only around a cm or two.

I tried to take some pictures of the crease and the dirt.

What do you think?

Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color
light edge wear, bends & few creases
light dirt back cover, small rust stains back cover spine
2" crease top spine front cover barely breaks color, bends through to back cover

cover-m.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg

IMG_3256.jpg

We all know the answer is "NO".