• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would a Clean and Press Bring This to an 8.0?
2 2

36 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2019 at 12:34 PM, Greg Ciraulo said:

Congrats on the bump!! I would have gone for it too.

if interested, please check our grading group out on facebook. This would be a great story to share with our members:

https://facebook.com/groups/makingthegradecomics

Oh, neat!  As soon as I receive the book and can take pictures, I'll post the story :)

9 hours ago, thunsicker said:

Joey Joey Joey.  He was asking for an 8.0.  Couldn't you have left just a smidge of dirt or a little of the creases to give him he grade he wanted?

Have him send it back. 

On 10/23/2019 at 8:52 AM, XxSpideyxX said:

I'm happy to report that after the pressing/cleaning work performed by @joeypost (who came recommended to me by @The Lions Den), this book received a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade....from 7.5 to.....DRUMROLL:

Amazing Spider-Man 50 7/67 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines breaks color
light wear all corners breaks color
very light crease left top of front cover

^^:flipbait::banana::applause::headbang::golfclap:

cbcs is typically graded higher than cgc. so a good press may bring you up to a cgc 7.0 or even 7.5 but not likely. however I have seen a few videos where people crack cbcs slabs and they come back higher by cgc. This seems to be happening more frequently by books that have been graded by cbcs in the last year. I don't know if cbcs hired an old cgc grader or what, but they seem to be closing the gap. the only problem is, 98% of buyers want that cgc label. its like, would you rather have converse or nike? there may be a few thrashers out there that go for that cbcs, but they are far and few between, and pgx is like some k-mart kicks brah. when it comes to resale, my money is these cgc jordans.

Edited by MARK ARNEY

On 10/23/2019 at 9:52 AM, XxSpideyxX said:

I'm happy to report that after the pressing/cleaning work performed by @joeypost (who came recommended to me by @The Lions Den), this book received a SUBSTANTIAL upgrade....from 7.5 to.....DRUMROLL:

Amazing Spider-Man 50 7/67 Marvel Comics
Universal
8.5 OFF-WHITE TO WHITE
Grader Notes:
light spine stress lines breaks color
light wear all corners breaks color
very light crease left top of front cover

Man... that is a nice bump... and Joey is the best. A while back, I posted like you did about two books (JIM 85 and ASM 129), which folks here graded 6.5 and 7.5 pre-slabbing.

Sent them to Joey, he sent them to CGC, and they came back a 7.5 and 9.4. Ka-ching!

Congrats again... always nice to more than double your value on a book when (re) slabbing. :bigsmile:

6 hours ago, MARK ARNEY said:

cbcs is typically graded higher than cgc. so a good press may bring you up to a cgc 7.0 or even 7.5 but not likely. however I have seen a few videos where people crack cbcs slabs and they come back higher by cgc. This seems to be happening more frequently by books that have been graded by cbcs in the last year. I don't know if cbcs hired an old cgc grader or what, but they seem to be closing the gap. the only problem is, 98% of buyers want that cgc label. its like, would you rather have converse or nike? there may be a few thrashers out there that go for that cbcs, but they are far and few between, and pgx is like some k-mart kicks brah. when it comes to resale, my money is these cgc jordans.

I thought the same going in.  Did you see the results?  

13 hours ago, MARK ARNEY said:

I agree as well 100%