• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spots on back of freshly graded books

6 posts in this topic

I am just wondering if any folks have experienced this before. I picked up three books today from Fedex and upon opening I found that the backs of two had strange "dash like lines" running near the spine down the back at the top and bottom. Both books effected are black on the back cover (Moon Knight #1 Sienkiewicz variant cover 9.8, and Wolverine: Origins RIV 9.4). I am doubt it was a previously existing defect as the book graded 9.8 with zero grader notes. The 9.4 cited some bends on the back cover as did the NYX 3 (9.6), but the NYX has no marks like these two. Any thoughts on what it could be? The cases were also scratched up more than I would have expected.. Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is my first submission myself, but I have cases and cases of graded books and haven't noticed this on any before.

Cover_marks2.jpg

cover_marks.jpg

So after contacting CGC, they replied initially with "hey, there's just a scuff and that's acceptable". I sent a reply with a better image with each individual "scuff" circled. They then offered for me to return it for a re-holder immediately. They said it wasn't on the comic (I pray they're right), and that they appeared to be some sort of abrasions on the case itself. But they are definitely on it's interior. I'll try to get this back out to them for a re-holder, but when I mentioned the shifting they said the holders where cut to the ideal size to accommodate each individual book. I took this as "hey we know what we are doing and whatever shift you have is acceptable". The unfortunate thing is that I know if I ever have to shift this thing it will absolutely risk having the cover shaken free from the staple, as one Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant I picked up did. I'll mention the wedge to them in the return package. I am honestly a little surprised and disappointed with my first submission... but hey, I have boxes full of slabs that look great so maybe this is isolate and just my luck. Thanks for the replies!!

4 hours ago, dustin.moffitt85 said:

So after contacting CGC, they replied initially with "hey, there's just a scuff and that's acceptable". I sent a reply with a better image with each individual "scuff" circled. They then offered for me to return it for a re-holder immediately. They said it wasn't on the comic (I pray they're right), and that they appeared to be some sort of abrasions on the case itself. But they are definitely on it's interior. I'll try to get this back out to them for a re-holder, but when I mentioned the shifting they said the holders where cut to the ideal size to accommodate each individual book. I took this as "hey we know what we are doing and whatever shift you have is acceptable". The unfortunate thing is that I know if I ever have to shift this thing it will absolutely risk having the cover shaken free from the staple, as one Wolverine 145 Nabisco variant I picked up did. I'll mention the wedge to them in the return package. I am honestly a little surprised and disappointed with my first submission... but hey, I have boxes full of slabs that look great so maybe this is isolate and just my luck. Thanks for the replies!!

One thing to keep in mind is the customer service rep may or may not be a serious comic collector, therefore they may not share the same level of concern that a discerning collector like yourself has. In addition, the folks in the slab room do occasionally choose the wrong well for the book, or overlook the fact that a wedge is justified. It's a good idea to put a note on the slab asking for a wedge (or a more appropriate well) and pointing out the possibility of the book being damaged. (thumbsu