• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The MVP of your collection (with respect to objective value)

69 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

A couple ways of looking at this:

(1) On which artist have you spent the most money to date?

(2) In your collection, which artist's works have the most combined value (when assessed objectively)?

My answer for both is Frank Frazetta, and second place ain't close...

1. Geoff Shaw (Pretty sure)

2. Sal Buscema

Kirby/Kirby by far.

When I saw the topic heading I assumed the question would be more like What artist in your collection has the best ratio of purchase price to current or realized value? For me, that's probably Caniff, due to one particularly good deal (which I have since converted into slower-appreciating Kirby) 

24 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

(just ended, thank God!)

That source has confirmed itself to be dry? Wow. I never thought it would be two years worth. Got mine quite early, the rare steal of them, and moved on with my life ;)

13 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Both interesting choices...

My collection isn’t that old or deep yet, and I like Watchmen so...

Quitely I have a couple pieces including a full painting. 

Statistically I’m probably slightly younger than others here. 

Mignola is running a close third, and may overtake.

0AD379DD-09A4-41E3-B60D-26CB8395C0C9.jpeg

Edited by dichotomy

As a rule, I don't want a lot of examples by the same artist though I will buy multiples for various reason, e.g., different characters.

(1) On which artist have you spent the most money to date?

Yale Stewart - That's driven by a single commission that is the most expensive piece in my collection.

H.G. Peter - if you are looking for published pieces

(2) In your collection, which artist's works have the most combined value (when assessed objectively)?

So many of mine are commissions (sell at 50 cents on the dollar), it's really hard to say, but if I had to guess, I'd saw the Curt Swan pieces are the most valuable as a group (2 commissions - Superman & LSH - and 2 published pages (LSH). Again, this is biased because I have so few per artist - an average of just under 1.5 per artist.

(3) In your collection, which artist's works are the most common?

As mentioned, I average just under 1.5 pieces per artist.

Yale Stewart - 9 pieces followed by Joe Eisma and Thom Zahler with 5 each, Curt Swan, Nick Pitarra, and Terry Moore with 4 each.

This is just my collection, if I were to throw in my wife's and my daughters', Katie Cook with have the most pieces of art (27). Those mini-paintings are addictive!

2 hours ago, dichotomy said:

1. Gibbons

2. Quitely 

Quietly is marvelous. His Batman and Robin will always be my favorite.

Gibbons....of course.

Edited by grapeape