• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vintage Byrne
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I was surprised at the Byrne results today. Ballpark $10k apiece for three non X-Men, non FF pieces. All were good pages with good character content, but not really what I would consider "signature Byrne" in terms of artistic prowess or characters he is known for.

Marvel Team-Up 60

Hulk Annual

Marvel Team-Up 68

I consider myself well-versed in Byrne, but now have to confess I don't keep great tabs on his earlier work. Thoughts on these? High? Right on? 

I was watching the Hulk page & wondering what the draw was, and I usually watch most Byrne stuff but I must have thought the other two were too boring to even bother.

They look quite high to me, unless some bidders got involved in a bizarre price war.

Someone may have been engaged in price support or manipulation. Watch in the coming months to see what similar quality pieces list or sell for. 

Prime Byrne has been very hot for a while now, a few weeks ago I sold this page for a little more than any of those three pages went for, of course, I sold to another collector so I didn't need to add any fees and he paid about what it would have cost for the most expensive of the three without all the juice. Both of us were very happy...and I think Byrne still has a lot of growth.

1504205771_JohnByrneFF2p8Doom.jpg.b318e195bf4ea31a88919f24064dee2d.jpg

And judging from the X-men #129 page that sold for $33,600.00 (and which I don't really care for)...a LOT more growth than I could have imagined, I thought that was a $20K piece.

So I'm very happy the buyer passed on another Byrne page that I had priced too low, and would be kicking myself had I sold this gem, not only because I would have been way below market but also because I really like it :)

684141292_JohnByrneFantasticFour250page21FFversusX-men.thumb.jpg.df89b1b2a7812d094f2313f75314aa56.jpg

51 minutes ago, chromium said:

So I'm very happy the buyer passed on another Byrne page that I had priced too low, and would be kicking myself had I sold this gem, not only because I would have been way below market but also because I really like it :)

684141292_JohnByrneFantasticFour250page21FFversusX-men.thumb.jpg.df89b1b2a7812d094f2313f75314aa56.jpg

Jeez, people think I'm joking, but, if your page does not have Emma Frost in her panties on it, don't expect a price bump just because that #129 page went for $33.6K.  

I mean, that X-Men #135 page went for $25.2K, which is probably in-line or less than what people were thinking, amirite???

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Jeez, people think I'm joking, but, if your page does not have Emma Frost in her panties on it, don't expect a price bump just because that #129 page went for $33.6K.  

I mean, that X-Men #135 page went for $25.2K, which is probably in-line or less than what people were thinking, amirite???

Dude, look at what Storm is wearing...or should I say, not wearing.

17 minutes ago, chromium said:

Dude, look at what Storm is wearing...or should I say, not wearing.

lol

The difference, though, is that:

1. Storm has a revealing costume, but it's masquerading as a fully functional fighting outfit, whereas Frost's costume is basically flat out lingerie - you can dial up the perv factor to 11 as a result. 

2. There are tons of Storm pages and only a few with good full frontal :whatthe: shots of the White Queen.

I'm sure the Byrne market is right where it was before the #129 page sale - someone was either drooling over Emma Frost and/or was crushing hard on Kitty Pryde as a kid (hopefully not as an adult. :eek:). 

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

The difference, though, is that:

1. Storm has a revealing costume, but it's masquerading as a fully functional fighting outfit, whereas Frost's costume is basically flat out lingerie - you can dial up the perv factor to 11 as a result. 

2. There are tons of Storm pages and only a few with good full frontal :whatthe: shots of the White Queen.

This stuff was certainly a big deal...when I was 12. Then I met real girls...and they took their clothes off. I've really not looked back since, so I'm leaving the art for the rest of you?!

Hint: you can meet a lot of interesting and willing women with $33k in your pocket...winner shoulda taken that out for a spin instead of staying home to bid ;)

1 hour ago, delekkerste said:

I'm sure the Byrne market is right where it was before the #129 page sale - someone was either drooling over Emma Frost and/or was crushing hard on Kitty Pryde as a kid (hopefully not as an adult. :eek:).  

My first X-Men was 151...Kitty was leaving, and when I finished the issue I was like, "who cares?!" No Kitty/Shadowcat stories earlier or later have changed my opinion since.