• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.4 with Torn Corner

15 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen a comic book with a grade of 9.4 with a torn corner?  I recently saw one being offered for sale, and I am wondering what the grade would have otherwise been.  The size of the tear appears to be 1/8 inch.  It is not a bindery tear.  It is on the bottom-right corner of the cover.  Thank you in advance for any replies.

If the tear is very small (1/8" or less) and the rest of the book is virtually perfect, the book could still receive a grade of 9.2. But if the tear is a little longer (say about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch) it will nearly always knock the book out of the near mint range. And please bear in mind it's a very fine line between those measurements... 

I have a X-Factor 6 9.4 that has a top right corner of the front cover and about 4-5 pages worth of a chip missing.  I've seen other copies with the same issue and I believe it was a manufacturing defect common to the book. 2c

This isn't mine but its a pic I found with a quick googley.

X-Factor-6-CGC-9-4-NM-2019841007-Front-Label.jpg

Edited by Mystafo

This is interesting.  So if it is a bindery issue or a manufacturing defect, CGC will not treat it the same as a tear that is the result of handling?  That actually makes sense.  I have a Swamp Thing #1 that has a similar issue on the top-right corner.  It also has a grade of 9.4.  Perhaps CGC treated it the same way.  I had it reholdered, and it was returned to me with the same grade.  Thanks for the replies.

10 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Looks like a 9.4 to me.

Capra, are you saying that it looks like a 9.4 even if that bottom-right corner of the cover is torn?  If so, that will make me feel much better about my Swamp Thing #1.

Edited by My young Padawan

On 8/3/2019 at 10:30 AM, joeypost said:

Could have been a bindery issue that fell off or a color flake. Cannot tell from the scan if the corner is missing all the paper of just the color. 

This, and certainly allowable in NM.

2 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
14 hours ago, My young Padawan said:

Capra, are you saying that it looks like a 9.4 even if that bottom-right corner of the cover is torn?  If so, that will make me feel much better about my Swamp Thing #1.

Yes.

Yes, because it's not a tear.