• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Closed
3 3

123 posts in this topic

Vault of Evil  19 5.0 (Bright with still good gloss & reflectivity; mod cb spine wear & mod edge wear, mainly top & left edge bc with v sm tear; crnr blunting with chip out br crnr fc; cb crse ul crnr bc; cb crse br crnr fc; general cb and ncb surface wear fc; light foxing & localized ink transfer bc; and) Claimed

VofEvil-19-fc.jpg

VofEvil-19-bc.jpg

Edited by crassus

15 minutes ago, crassus said:

Ok so I can finally relax for a bit, and have a beer, and listen to music and post. 

Image result for barry manilow jpg

These next few pics reflect the part of our trip that was mostly for my son, but I have to admit, having started with not much interest in trains (model, real or otherwise) aside from academics, I've grown to appreciate that the "romance of the rail" is not dead.

On the way from Niagara Falls to London ON we stopped in St Thomas, and surprised our son with a ride on the famous Thomas the Tank Engine, then visiting all the way from Sodor Island. The real city of St Thomas ON has a central place in the history of the railway not just in Canada but in the US. Since its the 150th Anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railway in the US I thought these few pics might be of interest...

Prior to the advent of diesel, in the early 20th century, St Thomas (circled in red on the map below) was at the center of the freight and passenger rail traffic connecting New York to Chicago. US companies chose to take the shorter route north of Lake Erie. With the end of the steam age the Americans reverted back to the southern line and eventually the Canadian companies gravitated to the more northerly "Detroit-Windsor to Montreal corridor", removing St Thomas from its central role. 

St-Thomas-History-Map.thumb.jpg.077854db53ec0b1ae5ed39306f96a42e.jpg

The city continues to preserve and commemorate its history, and this includes the impressive Elgin County Railway Museum, located in what remains of the Michigan Central Railway Locomotive Shops. Constructed in 1914, it was at the time considered "state of the art" and employed up to 400 workers. 

St-Thomas-History-ECRM.thumb.jpg.3467d88a251beff1f2959b131311cfb5.jpg

St-Thomas-History-3.jpg.dc3e61d88c6cd79e73dfc3a3e1f98648.jpg

Far more interesting to the young people was of course Thomas himself ("Mommy, that strange man is talking about history again....Mommeeee...make him stop...") 

St-Thomas-Train.jpg.b051fb6a5d62e6517f4570b648e30706.jpg

But Thomas's rolling stock included some nicely restored cars, including a Pullman sleeper, which during the early 20th century had been modified in the war years to transport soldiers. Now it was just a fun ride. 

St-Thomas-Pullman.thumb.jpg.7fe36f1d3e52059dcae96ed012ec9922.jpg

Ok some more books coming up....

The Sinister House of Secret Love 1 7.5 (Bright & glossy; mod spine & edge wear, mainly top & btm edges fc; light to mod cb spine stress, mainly bc; crnr blunting, most pronounced ur crnr fc with sm cb crses; hard impact btm spine with faint cb crse fc but larger cb crse btm spine bc; light foxing & localized ink transfer bc) $45.00

SHofSL-1-fc.jpg

SHofSL-1-bc.jpg

You remind me of me. 

Everything is reduced a grade or two, and most items sold at a loss...., :cry:

2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You remind me of me. 

Everything is reduced a grade or two, and most items sold at a loss...., :cry:

On that note, I have a special one coming up... lol

back in a few....

1 minute ago, crassus said:

On that note, I have a special one coming up... lol

back in a few....

Is it the DC?

I was just leaving for the Elks.

My Love 14 5.0 (Book has been pressed; Bright & glossy; difficult to grade, has the feel of a 6.5 but just one thing after the other;  mostly ncb sub fold top half of fc, with a sm cb line center fc; faint cb reader's crse btm half of spine fc; cb vertical crse br fc; cb crses br crnr fc; staple tears top with some rust but no migration to cf; faint partial cb crses ul & bl crnrs bc; slight spine roll;  light foxing & localized ink transfer bc; that said is a tough book and usually in demand so asking) $45.00

MyLove-14-fc.jpg

MyLove-14-bc.jpg

Skull the Slayer  5 book lot 5.0 #1 (8.5), #2 (7.0), #4 (7.0), #7 30c variant (7.5), #8 (6.5) (more detailed notes and info available on request) $12.00

Skull-1-fc.jpg

Skull-1-bc.jpg

Skull-2-fc.jpg

Skull-2-bc.jpg

Skull-3-fc.jpg

Skull-3-bc.jpg

Skull-7-30c-fc.jpg

Skull-7-30c-bc.jpg

Skull-8-fc.jpg

Skull-8-bc.jpg

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:
Image result for barry manilow jpg

Whenever I'm feeling a little mean at work, I just walk over to someone, sing a few bars of copa cabana and walk away.

Great pictures Robert! Glad you had a chance to eat at Prince Albert's. Virginia, Sallie and I have gone there quite often over the years but for a while, that picture of Kramer used to freak Sallie out!

Cheers!

25 minutes ago, crassus said:

The other highlight was the retro diner Prince Albert's, further along Richmond and not far from Andy's shop, and when I took in the décor I knew this was some kind of Boardie karma...

@Kramerica

KramericasDiner-London-ON.thumb.jpg.f1a025c6c16754d358e490129830c1bd.jpg

I will recap and soft close tomorrow morning. Many thanks to you all who followed this thread and humoured me my vacation pics, my vacations are usually a disaster, this one was really sweet and wanted to share  :cloud9:

:banana: Awesome!

27 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

:banana: Awesome!

Yeah, there wasn't more than a nanosecond between laying eyes on that and thinking of you...

I did a double take and I stood up from my seat and pointed just as the guy came to take our order...

"My God! Its Kramerica!"

The guy laughed and said "...you mean Kramer, from Seinfeld..."

"No," I said, "No I mean Kramerica!" lol