• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS #4 Page on eBay. Real or Fake??
2 2

59 posts in this topic

Sigh.  Look: the person who drew this is a fraud.  He is emboldened because the way things work these days he knows he isn't going to get caught. 

Also he made one teeny tiny mistake a couple of months ago and, I'm delighted to say, I figured something out.  Good luck, dude!

G

Edited by glendgold

14 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Sigh.  Look: the person who drew this is a coward and a fraud.  Also he's a terrible artist who is bitter about his inability to sell his own actual work.  He is emboldened because the way things work these days he knows he isn't going to get caught. 

How do I know he's a terrible artist? Because he made one teeny tiny mistake a couple of months ago and, I'm delighted to say, I figured something out.  Good luck, dude!

G

Do tell!  I mean, yes, tell us more.

Well, at least the forger tried to age the paper and sell the idea that it's real, but so many tells that it's a fake

- No writing in the margins by Stan or Jack

- The writing at the top isn't the way they would have written it in the 60's.

- Blue pencil wasn't to common in the 60's

- Shouldn't be a stamp like that on the back.  Should be a CCA stamp. And, they filled out the publication info. incorrectly!

Overall, looks like they took a blank piece of 70's Marvel stock with a stamp on the back and tried to draw the most expensive piece of comic art they could think of which hasn't surfaced to date.

5 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I think I need to say this again, maybe?

I used to explain why something that was forged was easy to spot. After that, I noticed that a new round of forgeries had taken my comments into account. I suspect at least some forgers lurk on this forum, or others that discuss comic art. So we should be careful about explaining why something looks wrong. 

Sounds right to me but I would think this seller is trying to fool the casual collector who wouldn't spot the red flags. But that is still terrible and something should be done to prevent this from happening over and over, again. So unfair for someone who believes that they are bidding on a legitimate Avengers #4 page. I will report them on Ebay after this post.

7 minutes ago, glendgold said:

So we should be careful about explaining why something looks wrong. 

I don't even have Marvel art from that period but I know enough to observe lots of problems (without going into detail).

Current bid is $410.  I just find it amazing that someone would spend that kind of $$$ but not really know what they're buying.

But bidders are hidden so who knows how many legitimate bids/bidders there are.  Maybe they're all shill bids.

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

I used to explain why something that was forged was easy to spot. After that, I noticed that a new round of forgeries had taken my comments into account. I suspect at least some forgers lurk on this forum, or others that discuss comic art. So we should be careful about explaining why something looks wrong. 

Right, I wasn't looking for details on the making of forgeries, but I got the impression you knew who the forger was and his motivations which I was curious about.  "Terrible and bitter artist" who's "inability to sell his own actual work" was provocative and I was wondering if there was more of a story than the usual con artist stuff.  

4 hours ago, glendgold said:

Let's just put it this way -- multiple accounts on eBay are hard to track but not that hard to track. 

29 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Everyone should report it.  Ebay doesn't really care about this stuff for some reason..

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

Time to get medieval on art fraud

https://images.app.goo.gl/z4NTecs5VHXcS4VE9

On 8/3/2019 at 10:32 AM, glendgold said:

Sigh.  Look: the person who drew this is a fraud.  He is emboldened because the way things work these days he knows he isn't going to get caught. 

Also he made one teeny tiny mistake a couple of months ago and, I'm delighted to say, I figured something out.  Good luck, dude!

G

Piece of garbage is up to $2550