• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Werewolf by Night #32 so expensive?

74 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I'm confused...you just answered your own question...

For real though...feels overpriced to me as well.

How so? Even though its a first appearance, it shouldn't be the case with that comic, should it?

Edited by Bart Allen

This book has always been overpriced and over-speculated on going back to the late 80s. MK is a cool character of course, but I think this book has always been fueled by the so-called potential of the character rather than anything really concrete. That said, there's lots of rumblings now that we may finally see him on the big screen (or a streaming series).

The books been hot since your memory of 2007 because he’s been rumored to be in the next Marvel TV/Movie Project since then basically. Here’s a rumor of a TV series from an article from 2006:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/26/moon-knight-tv-series-in-development

and the list of rumors continued from there, the one floating around now is Keanu is going to play him in the MCU but before that there were rumors of a Netflix Show. 

Since I’m not a big fan of the character I’d personally never pay the price it’s going for, but to each his own.

Yeah, this book has been riding on a wave of “potential” for decades. Marvel should do a What If issue about “What if Moon Knight became a main stream character!” :insane:

I love BA horror books and #32 was the last issue I needed to finish my WWBN run. Sometime around 1989 I happened to see one hanging in a comic shop window while visiting friends in NY. I just walked in and bought it to complete my run, not even knowing it was Mooney’s first appearance. I think it was $15 bucks...

Edited by Jayman

It helps that it comes with a very cool Gil Kane cover.

Yeah, speculation craze aside, I've never understood this either. Usually, if the character was legitimately popular, you'd see similar spikes in popularity with all his other appearances, especially the 2nd, 3rd, etc...  In this case, not as many people really care about his other books other than WBN #32.  There's a certain cool factor about it no doubt, but other than that, I've never understood the insane demand for it.  Don't get me wrong.  I had a very nice raw copy back in the pre-CGC days and it was one of my favorite books, but I'd never pay the prices being asked for it today though. 

I'm a Huge Moon Knight fan, and have nearly every Moon Knight book. He seems to have a cult like following of which I am a devoted acolyte. Some of his more recent runs have been wonderfully written such as the Lemire run. I enjoyed the Bemis run as well.

The recent 9.8 heritage auction at $50K seems to be pushing the price of 32 into the stratosphere in all grades.

I would love to know the print run on the book as it seems to be legitimately rare at this point.

I had plans to upgrade my 4.0 copy to a 7.5 ... I'll be lucky if I can afford a 6.0 by the time I get to the planned upgrade.

I never even heard of MK until maybe a year ago :roflmao:. I stoped collecting comics in the late 80's and started collecting again about a year ago.  I can tell you this though, he was not popular in the late 80's. Sort of relevant to this topic, I hope the MCU doesn't use him (although there are rumors).  He seems too much like a Batman rip-off.

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 8/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, wiparker824 said:

The books been hot since your memory of 2007 because he’s been rumored to be in the next Marvel TV/Movie Project since then basically. Here’s a rumor of a TV series from an article from 2006:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2006/10/26/moon-knight-tv-series-in-development

and the list of rumors continued from there, the one floating around now is Keanu is going to play him in the MCU but before that there were rumors of a Netflix Show. 

Since I’m not a big fan of the character I’d personally never pay the price it’s going for, but to each his own.

THIS. It's been the next thing for forever.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Brian48 said:

It helps that it comes with a very cool Gil Kane cover.

Yeah, speculation craze aside, I've never understood this either. Usually, if the character was legitimately popular, you'd see similar spikes in popularity with all his other appearances, especially the 2nd, 3rd, etc...  In this case, not as many people really care about his other books other than WBN #32.  There's a certain cool factor about it no doubt, but other than that, I've never understood the insane demand for it.  Don't get me wrong.  I had a very nice raw copy back in the pre-CGC days and it was one of my favorite books, but I'd never pay the prices being asked for it today though. 

There are people who buy books that aren’t first appearances?   🙂

On 8/20/2019 at 9:36 AM, Lurker89 said:

He has no qualms about killing and Jake even enjoys dismembering and keeping limbs of vanquished foes.

Time to find out if Disney+ has any qualms about killing, dismembering and keeping limbs of vanquished foes. That doesn’t seem very “Disney” :roflmao:

But in all seriousness this book may finally live up to its price now. Time will tell if Disney can do this character justice.