• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is Werewolf by Night #32 so expensive?

74 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Illustrious said:

Inhumans was done by the Marvel TV division, which broke into a separate entity from Kevin Feige and the movie studio division.

I see... but as wiparker824 mentioned.  Moon Knight never had mass appeal, even among comic readers. 

I agree with this.  

On 8/23/2019 at 9:31 PM, speedcake said:

No amount of extreme fanboy explanations ;)  will ever justify the price for WWBN 32. He's not a character that's caught on in any meaningful way, and as pointed out he's been hyped for movie/tv adaptation for a long time now.  I doubt the recently announced tv show will have any significant impact on an already way overpriced and hyped book, but I DO hope the show is good and entertaining.  Not an expected addition to the Disney+ lineup, but I'll tune in and see what they do with the character. Can't wait for all of these shows. rawr!

Exactly he has had how many series that never sell? FOMO is in effect on this book. Don't get me wrong when I find them cheap
I am more then happy to sell them, but there is going to be some butt hurt down the road on that book.

15 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I don't get the DD love and Moon Knight hate. Personally I would rather get intimate with a cheese grater then watch or read about Matt Murdock doing his best to not trip over S*** in Hell's Kitchen but to each his own. 

:roflmao:. I was never a DD fan either.  MK I just never heard of before and  the price for his first appearance just seems high to me for maybe a "C" level character. I will defiantly watch the TV show though.

1 hour ago, Lurker89 said:

I don't get the DD love and Moon Knight hate. Personally I would rather get intimate with a cheese grater then watch or read about Matt Murdock doing his best to not trip over S*** in Hell's Kitchen but to each his own. 

Not a DD fan either. I didn't even like Millar's work at the time, but I have grown to appreciate it over the years.

On 8/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, Red_Hood said:

Exactly... I wonder how the book will hold up once the series is canceled after 1 or 2 seasons like Daredevil, Punisher, Hero for Hire, Iron Fist.  This hobby has lost perspective.  Moon Knight is lame and to all the supporters I direct you to any of the shows mentioned as evidence.  The character isn't as well known as those others and they fared just great.

WWBN #32 has always sold for me since I started doing shows in 1998. The book is harder to find in HG than some of the other Marvel BA keys since it was late run in a weak 70s title. It has followed the pattern of every other better Marvel BA key (GSX 1, ASM 129, MSpot 5) price-wise - they run up after Hulk 181 jumps. Now, it will get a boost from the TV hype, but it has been a higher value BA Marvel key for a long while now and a show cancellation will not change that.

35 minutes ago, kimik said:

WWBN #32 has always sold for me since I started doing shows in 1998. The book is harder to find in HG than some of the other Marvel BA keys since it was late run in a weak 70s title. It has followed the pattern of every other better Marvel BA key (GSX 1, ASM 129, MSpot 5) price-wise - they run up after Hulk 181 jumps. Now, it will get a boost from the TV hype, but it has been a higher value BA Marvel key for a long while now and a show cancellation will not change that.

I disagree .... I was picking up CGC 9.2 and 9.4 copies for $400.00 USD to $500.00 USD as late as 2013 until the speculators started the false rumors of a possible show or movie and then the prices exploded and continued to do so until last week and then spiked again after the T.V show announcement.  The price increase was due to speculators and not the same merits as the big bronze keys.

DD is Important to no one but his fans . ...  I love how people try to argue the "importance" of the specific characters they like..... DD is not Superman, Batman, Spiderman or the Fantastic Four... Those characters were important to the medium (along with many others). Alan Moore's work in the 80's, that was important to the medium. DD is barely a blip on the radar. 

Same with Moon Knight he is important to no one but his fans, such as myself. His original run was excellent ran 38 issues, MSMN left me wanting in areas but had its bright spots and ran 60 issues. There were some horrible runs thrown in (Vengeance run comes to mind)The somewhat recent Jeff Lemire run was excellently written, drawn and inked ... But if you never gave the character a chance you wouldn't know. 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:54 PM, Lurker89 said:

Good I I don't want the price to go up I still want to upgrade my copy lol. One rational explanation on speculation and  high price may be a low print run. It was towards the tail end of WBN. I would love to know what the print number is.

One million copies?

254134365_dr.evil(640x360).jpg.57dbee577bdc4f58e0da923420cfc899.jpg

2 hours ago, Lurker89 said:

DD is Important to no one but his fans . ...  I love how people try to argue the "importance" of the specific characters they like..... DD is not Superman, Batman, Spiderman or the Fantastic Four... Those characters were important to the medium (along with many others). Alan Moore's work in the 80's, that was important to the medium. DD is barely a blip on the radar. 

Same with Moon Knight he is important to no one but his fans, such as myself. His original run was excellent ran 38 issues, MSMN left me wanting in areas but had its bright spots and ran 60 issues. There were some horrible runs thrown in (Vengeance run comes to mind)The somewhat recent Jeff Lemire run was excellently written, drawn and inked ... But if you never gave the character a chance you wouldn't know. 

True, DD is not as iconic (or important) as Superman, Batman, Spidey, FF, etc. But he has been a central Marvel figure from the beginning. One could easily argue Miller's DD run is one of the most important in comic history. Not unlike what Moore was doing. That makes DD important. That run helped redefine the medium and, ultimately, Batman too. If you're not a Miller fan then this is irrelevant.  But if DD is only a "blip" MK may as well be invisible. A few cool Bill S. 80s covers doesn't change that.

That said I do like MK too and hope the series succeeds. 

Edited by Keep_It_Clunky

46 minutes ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

True, DD is not as iconic (or important) as Superman, Batman, Spidey, FF, etc. But he has been a central Marvel figure from the beginning. One could easily argue Miller's DD run is one of the most important in comic history. Not unlike what Moore was doing. That makes DD important. That run helped redefine the medium and, ultimately, Batman too. If you're not a Miller fan then this is irrelevant.  But if DD is only a "blip" MK may as well be invisible. A few cool Bill S. 80s covers doesn't change that.

That said I do like MK too and hope the series succeeds. 

All in all I agree. 

I've  been using DD as a whipping boy to make a point. 

A lot of people take commercial success for more than it is. Art for arts sake is more genuine and more enjoyable for me personally. 

"Going platinum has nothing to do with luck, it just means a million people are stupid as f---"

On August 26, 2019 at 7:19 PM, Spiderturtle said:

Any reason why it would be?

Maybe they could turn him into a mutant and stick him in the X-Men?

Kidding aside, I think this book has long been a combination of spec (from before movie days, a cool character that always seemed to have potential if he landed in the right hands) and a cult following that might be broader than sales indicated. Not every person who likes a character buys everything printed, after all.

Start hoarding those Super-Villain Team-Up #5's for a couple years past the Moon Knight show's cancellation, when they look for the next inner city superhero to feature. May well be the deadest Bronze Age Marvel hero first app left out there.